Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bosco Presenters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

2 bosco related questions for yis lads.

1) when did RTE stop making new episodes of the show?

2) When did RTE cease transmitting bosco (repeats included)?

Cheers

Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well, as for your first question KevIRL, I don't know. But I'd guess late 80's. Probably around 1987/1988 area, I'd say.

As for your second question, I'm fairly sure it was mid-90's. I remember reading an article in the paper about the cancellation of Bosco about, oh, must be ten years ago or so. So I'd say they stopped showing it around '95 or '96 roughly. I'm sure somebody else here will be able to come up with more accurate dates for you, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

KevIRL wrote:
    1) when did RTE stop making new episodes of the show?

I thought it was 1985 but seeing as one the episodes on the DVD is dated 1987 I would say the latter.
    KevIRL wrote:
    2) When did RTE cease transmitting bosco (repeats included)?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Thanks for the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Ran from 1980 to 1996 lads!

• Advertisement

damienom wrote:
    Ran from 1980 to 1996 lads!

As far as I remember it started in the autumn of 1979.
    No new episodes made after 1987.
    Repeats continued till 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Remember someone kidnapped him and threw him into the UCD pond?
    It was on the front page of all the papers. So funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Check out http://student.dcu.ie/~flynnr4/bosco/

And the Bosco dvd is in HMV in Cork!

http://student.dcu.ie/~flynnr4/bosco/gifs/boscotheme.mp3 the music!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

who was the presenter on episode 7 on the dvd? the slightly insane looking fella with a moustache (i'm always suspicious of people with taches)..

he played three blind mice on a set of spoons before going on to make a drum out of a biscuit tin.. either that or i imagined it..

Roar wrote:
    who was the presenter on episode 7 on the dvd? the slightly insane looking fella with a moustache (i'm always suspicious of people with taches)..

he played three blind mice on a set of spoons before going on to make a drum out of a biscuit tin.. either that or i imagined it..

Not got that far yet
    - Jonathan Ryan?

He was in Bracken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Jonathan Ryan?

Sounds about right to me. Can be heard doing the voiceover for nearly every bloody ad you see or hear on radio and television these days! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

sorry for resurrecting an old thread,but according to someone on youtube philip passed away years ago from a heart attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I remember hearing a documentary on Radio 1 maybe 5 or 6 years ago about Bosco. One of the people referred to Philip as the late, lovely Philip Tyler. So he's definitely dead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnwdcu

ALL BOSCO FANS NEED TO SEE THIS VIDEO!!
    BLOODY BRILLIANT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVlohfbBhJs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Gaffo wrote: »
    Philip was definitely there. I saw him in town the other day, it was quite strange. Nobody else remembered him.

Sceptre, how the f**k do you remember these people in such detail. Me reckons you've got some inside info.
    There was an urban myth going around in the 90s that Philip had died of AIDS.I used to find Johnatan somewhat sinister .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

David was the rational one on the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

sceptre wrote: »
    All your names are totally correct.

Frank was the rather happy bald chap (last seen on Bull Island)
    Philip was the younger camp chap (often wearing a stripy sweater)
    Marian Richardson was the one with the brown hair (last time I saw her she was doing reports for Today Tonight)
    Suzy was chubby.
    Jonathan Ryan was the chap with the beard (also played some character on the Irish RM)

Can't remember them all but I can add:
    Liam (used say "like so")
    David (wooly jumper bloke, probably the oldest, the voice for one of the two closing songs)
    Barbara (chubby also)

Fortycoats played Santa

That's my entire contribution.

Did she marry some fellow that was in the news a bit over the last two years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember all of these except for the lady in front.

73395365_2608382796056661_5653761112978489344_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=wTA5v_ntKKgAQlOZiChMRVhBDkQz078fpoh_bx-oKZK8GWT_KwfaQgxJQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=f769a39412a6830f16998d33d20e7622&oe=5E426828

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If you're referring to the lady sitting/kneeling, her name is Gertie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

branie2 wrote: »
    If you're referring to the lady sitting/kneeling, her name is Gertie

yes Gert Kerrigan.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2282/029.html

she lived on my road and ran a preschool which I went to. We were videoed once and we were "through the magic door" on bosco.

She contacted my mother a few years back and wanted to contact me, I guess gathering memories from kids who went there.

http://gertrudegarrow.com/biography
    Following the birth of her first son, Mark, she studied Montessori Teaching and opened her own Montessori School in Dublin, Ireland. Her school soon became known as 'a centre of excellence' as many of the 3-5 year-olds were reading, writing and doing number work way above their grade levels.

Gertrude's innovative methods for teaching core curriculum subjects led her to becoming a scriptwriter and presenter for the education department of RTE, Irish National TV and radio. Later, having studied film and multimedia, she became a lecturer on Multimedia Production by Brunel University, UK.

• Advertisement

Remember when Phillip had curly hair in early episodes of the series?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

June 1979? When it first started?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Who is the guy with the yellow hat?

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    Who is the guy with the yellow hat?

Not sure of his first name but he's Joan Burtons brother. Not biological as they were adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosco_(TV_series)#Cast

Cast
    The roster of presenters included Paul Burton (whose working-class Dublin accent drew complaints from some viewers),[3] David Byrne,[4] Peter Fitzgerald,[5] Mary Garrioch,[6] Susie Kennedy,[citation needed] Gert Kerrigan,[4] Marcus O'Higgins,[citation needed] Marian Richardson[7] (later a current affairs and radio presenter and producer at RT,[3] Jonathan Ryan,[6] Frank Twomey (later of Bull Island),[8] Philip Tyler,[9] and Grne Uhaitiú.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gaffo wrote: »
    Philip was definitely there. I saw him in town the other day, it was quite strange. Nobody else remembered him.

Sceptre, how the f**k do you remember these people in such detail. Me reckons you've got some inside info.

Philip is dead

rubadub wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosco_(TV_series)#Cast

Cast
    The roster of presenters included Paul Burton (whose working-class Dublin accent drew complaints from some viewers),[3] David Byrne,[4] Peter Fitzgerald,[5] Mary Garrioch,[6] Susie Kennedy,[citation needed] Gert Kerrigan,[4] Marcus O'Higgins,[citation needed] Marian Richardson[7] (later a current affairs and radio presenter and producer at RT,[3] Jonathan Ryan,[6] Frank Twomey (later of Bull Island),[8] Philip Tyler,[9] and Grne Uhaitiú.

David Byrne is the guy in the coat second right on that RTE Guide cover. BTW I can't figure out who Peter Fitzgerald is. Googling him brought up this bizarre article from the Indo where they erroneously have a picture of Paul Burton (brother of Joan and wearing the yellow hat on RTE Guide cover)

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/former-bosco-presenter-says-jimmy-maccarthys-dad-wrote-racy-letters-that-disgusted-and-frightened-his-mother-34131273.html

June 1979? When it first started?

Yes

• Advertisement

You must have some memory. I remember watching the very first episode of Bosco aged 5 but can't recall it in that level of detail.

Advertisement