Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CGT calculation on sale of agricultural land

• 22-01-2021 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Thought this would have been easy to search but not having much luck. So 25years ago bought 10 acres for 30,000 and valued at 80,000, if I sell what is the liability or where do I find the information. Is 50k the amount assessed or allowances claimable. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fedlot

bozd wrote: »
    Thought this would have been easy to search but not having much luck. So 25years ago bought 10 acres for 30,000 and valued at 80,000, if I sell what is the liability or where do I find the information. Is 50k the amount assessed or allowances claimable. Thanks

Get an accountant to work it out for you as there are reliefs and offsets . Should be small fee but worth it.
    Note - you can claim indexation relief which depending on the exact date you acquired would be around 25% uplift in the original cost - look up cgt indexation tables -
    You will also have acquisition costs and disposal costs to claim .
    But really there are a lot of questions to go thru which can save you tax and advice is to ask an accountant .
    Eg
    Firstly did you farm it ? If so , Are you entitled to retirement relief ? Is it I sole name or joint names?
    Are you entitled to entrepreneurs relief ? Do you have prior losses to offset ? Have you incurred expenditure on the land ? Is the 30k euros or punts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

Fedlot thanks for the information and advice, very helpful. only a hobby with some cattle and such. makes sense to claim solicitors fees etcc as percentage of original cost of place.

Advertisement