Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oh Dear , Is Charles a naughty boy ??

• 19-01-2021 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Does anyone seriously believe that Charles nobbled one of his own horses??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

He will get off on appeal.

Once again they go after a mid tier trainer. They wouldn't dare bring down one of the bigger names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The previous race at Sedgefield was also interesting.
    Viking Hoard finished 4th of 5. His price drifted from 9/2 out to 10/1, and was beaten 9 1/2 lengths.
    In running comments "Held up in touch, reminder after 2nd, pushed along after 4th, ridden after 3 out, soon no impression (op 9/2 tchd 10/1)".
    A horse that has to be giver a reminder after the 2nd, and then pushed along after the 4th could not have been in top form.

And the race before that was also interesting.
    The horse was joint favourite.
    In running comments "detached in rear after 4th, tailed off when pulled up after 4 out, never travelled". Pulled up.

The race before that he won
    "ridden clear before 2 out, kept on strongly run-in, comfortably (op 3/1 tchd 100/30 and 11/4)"

The form does appear to be a bit in and out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭mountai

Kauto wrote: »
    He will get off on appeal.

Once again they go after a mid tier trainer. They wouldn't dare bring down one of the bigger names.

Totally agree with you . I would consider Jim Bolger knows a lot more than the so called guardians of the galaxy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

mountai wrote: »
    Totally agree with you . I would consider Jim Bolger knows a lot more than the so called guardians of the galaxy .

Some trainers are too big to fail, Fenton and byrnes will get no traction in main stream media

Some trainers are too big to fail, Fenton and byrnes will get no traction in main stream media

Too big fail is right. Would destroy the game in Ireland if they got one of the big lads.

Hard to believe Jim is squeaky clean either as you have no chance unless your at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

If I am understanding this correctly, CB is not so much accused of sedating the horse so much as not protecting the horse from someone else sedating it???

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Byrnes has a colourful past in the Racing and betting game. A lot of stuff not adding up here.
    Talk of horse with levels over 100 times legal limit of ACP. Talk of a shady individual living miles away in foreign shores laying bets through betfair agents. Hard to believe someone would risk life and limb of a jockeyvand horse for the small ammounts of money on winnings mentioned and with so many people involved.
    Its nothing like a curley gamble on multiple horses and a big number of people involved
    But winnings in the millions and worthwhile for everyone to get paid.
    A lot more going on here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

hurdles1 wrote: »
    Byrnes has a colourful past in the Racing and betting game. A lot of stuff not adding up here.
    Talk of horse with levels over 100 times legal limit of ACP. Talk of a shady individual living miles away in foreign shores laying bets through betfair agents. Hard to believe someone would risk life and limb of a jockeyvand horse for the small ammounts of money on winnings mentioned and with so many people involved.
    Its nothing like a curley gamble on multiple horses and a big number of people involved
    But winnings in the millions and worthwhile for everyone to get paid.
    A lot more going on here.....

Probably just the tip of the iceberg. 10 grand here and there can add up quick, especially when you are guaranteed to win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Probably just the tip of the iceberg. 10 grand here and there can add up quick, especially when you are guaranteed to win

I still don't understand the concept that they needed to dope the horse to make sure it underperformed.

In reality if you want a horse to underperform just run the chunt of a thing for 5 miles that morning at full gallop, job done. He will hardly leave his box after that?

I don't get the sophisticated drug conspiracy required to win 3 grand by laying a horse at 8/1 - it does not add up? How come it took 2 years and a bit of stirring from the media to land him in it? 2 years is a lot of horse racing in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I still don't understand the concept that they needed to dope the horse to make sure it underperformed.

In reality if you want a horse to underperform just run the chunt of a thing for 5 miles that morning at full gallop, job done. He will hardly leave his box after that?

I don't get the sophisticated drug conspiracy required to win 3 grand by laying a horse at 8/1 - it does not add up? How come it took 2 years and a bit of stirring from the media to land him in it? 2 years is a lot of horse racing in the meantime.

Yeah, fair points man. More going on here, which we will probably never know

• Advertisement

Something doesn't really tally. Drugging a horse to win 10k when he has bet multiplies of that in one bet countless times over the years.....

Have no doubt his horses are on the go go juice when the money is down but would
    Wonder on this occasion if someone else was involved.

Denis Hogan next.......

It seems the authorities are not letting that go either and proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Some of ye are beginning to sound a bit like Trump after the US election.
    Maybe a few facts before ye start slandering trainers.

Some of ye are beginning to sound a bit like Trump after the US election.
    Maybe a few facts before ye start slandering trainers.

Facts are secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Putting drugs in the horses system doesn't make much sense, as said before, either walk him that morning, or leave him in his box for a few weeks before the race.

Drugs aside, running horses that have no intention of winning, and then trainers and associates laying the horse is a huge problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Looks like the recent press attention did bring some good in that the report is very detailed and they laid it out step by step so hopefully those kind of judgments become the norm.

Also looks like they have now decided that if you leave a horse unattended at the races, you are going to have a fairly good reason then just going for food to do so the onus is on the trainer to have someone looking after the horses at the races. Whoever did nobbled the horse didn't seem to know what they were doing at all as well with the dose administered.

Anyone know how many outstanding cases have yet to reach a conclusion?

Its a well know fact that Byrnes is a gambler . As a trainer , he is out on his own insofar as setting up a horse to win a race . This obviously entails a lot of elements that have to come right on the day , Jockey , weight , distance and conditions etc . Primarily though , the animal has to be in top condition to ensure the success of the " Gamble" . So , its a contradiction to me , that he would risk harming the health of any horse in his charge by dosing it to the extent that the Racing Board has exposed in this instance . IMHO he is professional enough to , that , if he were going to drug the horse , he would be aware of the amount of drug to administer . Now lets be honest here , of course he "Stops" horses all the time , but SO DOES EVERY OTHER TRAINER IN THE COUNTRY . Its part of the game and we all know it . Anyone who read the article by David Walsh recently , can see the obvious bias that is in favor of the "Princes" of the industry , and the point made earlier about the medium and small trainer , being made to carry the can is 100% . Most Trainers , have the interests of animals in their charge as no 1 priority and I believe CB is no different .

Just an idea.
    If I can't drug the horses in the racecourse stables can I do it in the horsebox in the car park?
    Change of plan. :)

Kauto wrote: »
    Denis Hogan next.......

It seems the authorities are not letting that go either and proper order.

My biggest worry is that they are going to bury this episode by screwing some of the smaller yards.

They have to start somewhere, but I would like to see more transparency over who they are testing and when they are testing them.

They also need to have an independent panel of testers. I reckon the top Vets are all on the wink and the nod as well, the crooked phuckers. Who is going to put it up to them?

My biggest worry is that they are going to bury this episode by screwing some of the smaller yards.

They have to start somewhere, but I would like to see more transparency over who they are testing and when they are testing them.

They also need to have an independent panel of testers. I reckon the top Vets are all on the wink and the nod as well, the crooked phuckers. Who is going to put it up to them?

The will isn't there to put it up to them!! Not much will happen over the Byrnes episode. Not a particularly big fish and not greatly liked.

The real big players are far too powerful to bring down and they will be protected rightly or wrongly.

• Advertisement

As for the Byrnes episode, it all seems a bit amateurish. On this occasion I would say someone went rouge and he has been scapegoated.
    Something very off about it.

It is like the three card trick, but with a twist. Any card you pick is a winner.

Pick one of these and you go free
    • it was the vet
    • it was contaminated feed
    • the animal produced the result themselves

It is like the three card trick, but with a twist. Any card you pick is a winner.

Pick one of these and you go free
    • it was the vet
    • it was contaminated feed
    • the animal produced the result themselves

You are forgetting the trump card.

" hey mickey... I am scheduled for a test at your fellas place on Tuesday week, you might give them the heads up will yah ? "

" oh , by the way , our man in the other yard told me his is going at 5 o'clock in Roscommon on Friday week, I will text ya the name at half 4 ... the owners are looking to get on.... "

" will you give dirty chuntface a ring there about the new batch of feed for the other crooked chunt up the way there, thanks , see ya on the Curragh on Saturday, send my wishes to all ,,,, byyyyyyyyeeeee. "

It is riddled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

You are forgetting the trump card.

" hey mickey... I am scheduled for a test at your fellas place on Tuesday week, you might give them the heads up will yah ? "

" oh , by the way , our man in the other yard told me his is going at 5 o'clock in Roscommon on Friday week, I will text ya the name at half 4 ... the owners are looking to get on.... "

" will you give dirty chuntface a ring there about the new batch of feed for the other crooked chunt up the way there, thanks , see ya on the Curragh on Saturday, send my wishes to all ,,,, byyyyyyyyeeeee. "

It is riddled.

I take it you’re single.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

It's astonishing that only one track in Ireland (Leopardstown) has full CCTV in its racecourse stable yard. Every racecourse in Britain is required to have it. The administration of the sport is amateurish. The IHRB needs overhauling.

It's astonishing that only one track in Ireland (Leopardstown) has full CCTV in its racecourse stable yard. Every racecourse in Britain is required to have it. The administration of the sport is amateurish. The IHRB needs overhauling.

Tramore has CCTV since 2019!

Interesting follow up by David Walsh in an article in sports section in yesterdays Sunday Times . In the article , he compares the HRI enquiry into the famous " Two Shoes Foxrock " incident back in 2014 . It will be remembered that the reason for this enquiry , was the poor running of Foxrock in the GBS chase in Punchestown . Reason given was that the horse lost its two front shoes in the race and this contributed to its poor showing . In the paddock , after the race , CCTV showed that the horse had indeed got its shoes intact . The horse however lost these shoes , on the short walk from the parade ring to the Vets stable on the course !!! . Heres where it gets interesting . Aiden Obrien and Willie Mullins gave evidence in defense of Walsh , and the case against Walshe collapsed . I wonder will the bould Ted come to Byrnes defense , as HRI has obviously not held Byrnes responsible for nobbling his own horse . So they ban Byrnes and Ted gets off scot free ?? .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

mountai wrote: »
    Interesting follow up by David Walsh in an article in sports section in yesterdays Sunday Times . In the article , he compares the HRI enquiry into the famous " Two Shoes Foxrock " incident back in 2014 . It will be remembered that the reason for this enquiry , was the poor running of Foxrock in the GBS chase in Punchestown . Reason given was that the horse lost its two front shoes in the race and this contributed to its poor showing . In the paddock , after the race , CCTV showed that the horse had indeed got its shoes intact . The horse however lost these shoes , on the short walk from the parade ring to the Vets stable on the course !!! . Heres where it gets interesting . Aiden Obrien and Willie Mullins gave evidence in defense of Walsh , and the case against Walshe collapsed . I wonder will the bould Ted come to Byrnes defense , as HRI has obviously not held Byrnes responsible for nobbling his own horse . So they ban Byrnes and Ted gets off scot free ?? .

There is absolutely no comparrison between the two though, in the recent case there is irrefutable evidence of wrongdoing, the only question that remains open is who. In the Foxrock case there is no proof of any wrong doing.

I read the same article and to be honest its shockingly poorly written, I'm not claiming that racing is squeaky clean and the reality is any sport or indeed any facet of life where there is money involved will have some degree of cheating, its human nature. But the article in question has more holes in it than a swiss cheese and the last part of the article where he claims that there is a well known case of an Irish trained fav. in Cheltenham being stopped by the jockey is patethic, either name the horse or stop talking bollo*

You might have read the article , but did you read between the lines?? . to say that it is " Poorly written " ?? . David Walsh is one of the most respected sports writers and analysts this country has ever produced . HRI wont be pleased with his attention and I bet there is far more to come on this matter .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I was listening to the Betfair podcast with Tony Calvin and Kevin Blake. They mentioned David Walshs article and I don't know if it was the same article or a different one but talk of Walsh writing about a favourite being a non jigger in a Cheltenham festival handicap.
    Has anyone got a link to the story or can she more light?

Advertisement