Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

More rain. Sigh. Flooding. Sigh. Feck you January. Horrid month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

And what about February? More of the same then?

We could have a mild and wet start to February. The Atlantic looks well and truly back in business over the next couple of weeks. We lose the blocking for a while and there are signals it may come back during February but that's really too far out to know how February will shape up. By then I think most of us will be looking for an extended relatively dry period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah more rain. We had 60mm in Sligo last week. Now looks like another 60mm by Thursday.

....and we are only 56 days into neverending January :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Gonzo wrote: »
    We could have a mild and wet start to February. The Atlantic looks well and truly back in business over the next couple of weeks. We lose the blocking for a while and there are signals it may come back during February but that's really too far out to know how February will shape up. By then I think most of us will be looking for an extended relatively dry period.

What the models are showing for the start of Feb is surely irrelevant right now considering how accurate they are? I'm all for realism but a bit of optimism would be welcome too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I'm hoping that during next week the models will start improving regards cold for early feb.

• Advertisement

Local HIRES model ensembles say yes to snowcover in many parts of Leinster by Wednesday evening.

Long way to go though and will be sloppy for most

Just seen it (if it's the 12z Harmonie)
    Basically at 6pm snow in West and south Dublin ,all of wicklow,most of laois,carlow Kilkenny, all of wexford and much of inland waterford
    Basically a whole swathe of the southeast
    Looks like higher parts of Dublin but if the map I'm looking at for that time were to verify,you'd have it in places like Ballinteer Tallaght and maybe Dundrum but not Donnybrook

Just south of Dublin to south wexford,it brings the snow right to the coast at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The southeast looks good for some snowfall but this could end up further north or south. Still changes to come.

ICON and GFS keeping snow more or less to the southeast counties for now. All depends on whether this nudges further north or not.

Also the wind is off shore quicker further southeast which is why some models have snow falling to the coast. In Dublin we need to lose the on shore component.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Billcarson wrote: »
    I'm hoping that during next week the models will start improving regards cold for early feb.

Uk Met Office:

Sunday 31 Jan - Sunday 14 Feb
    Confidence for this period is low, though there is a signal for weaker than average westerly winds and for Atlantic low-pressure systems to track further south than normal. This will bring below-average temperatures to the north of the UK, with a greater than normal risk of wintry precipitation. Further south, there is a continued risk of unsettled conditions, with above-average rainfall and periods of slightly above average temperatures. There remains the potential for significant snowfall along the boundary between colder air to the north, and the milder air in the south, with the greatest risk across central and northern areas. Through this period there is a greater than average chance of cold spells spreading across the whole UK at times with the associated risk of wintry hazards.

The last line holds out the hope you just might get your wish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

The southeast looks good for some snowfall but this could end up further north or south. Still changes to come.

ICON and GFS keeping snow more or less to the southeast counties for now. All depends on whether this nudges further north or not.

Also the wind is off shore quicker further southeast which is why some models have snow falling to the coast. In Dublin we need to lose the on shore component.

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

pad199207 wrote: »

Or ten

Its on such a knife edge too :/

• Advertisement

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Or ten

Its on such a knife edge too :/

Completely. Marginality at its finest if ya ask me despite all the beautiful dazzling snow accumulation charts :rolleyes:

Let the truth be told most of us enjoy this roller coaster regardless of the outcome

This time its so marginal yes, but the reward could well be worth it.
    There's plenty of potential now for the South East/Mid lands again and the North look likes it will get its share before thee weekend is out.

Lets hope its not a sloppy snizzle fest and a good few of us get rewarded for our patience.

Once again a big thank you to everyone here that contributes. I feel I've learned allot over the years reading posts from some of the very knowledgeable people amongst us. We are blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The Met Eireann HARMONIE model is currently showing rain turning to sleet or wet snow in parts of the east and southeast later Wednesday afternoon and evening. Most accumulations will really be over the higher ground areas there but at this stage slushy deposits cant be ruled out across some lower level areas. Some accumulations across higher parts of Ulster will occur from Tuesday evening and night noting for lower level areas. Big risk of very icy roads across the Ulster and northern Connacht Tuesday night and before dawn Wednesday morning with some area see lows of 0C to -2C with the heavy rainfall just cleared roads and footpaths will be very wet with ice forming quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Met Eireann HARMONIE model is currently showing rain turning to sleet or wet snow in parts of the east and southeast later Wednesday afternoon and evening. Most accumulations will really be over the higher ground areas there but at this stage slushy deposits cant be ruled out across some lower level areas. Some accumulations across higher parts of Ulster will occur from Tuesday evening and night noting for lower level areas. Big risk of very icy roads across the Ulster and northern Connacht Tuesday night and before dawn Wednesday morning with some area see lows of 0C to -2C with the heavy rainfall just cleared roads and footpaths will be very wet with ice forming quickly.

Slushy deposits. That's something to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

It's better than 100% rain and it will be nice to see flakes falling even if it is of the wet variety. Tough times ya know so I will take it.

and considering there was no mention this time yesterday, one can pray and do a snow dance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

QoOH0y8.png

viHASKh.png

QoOH0y8.png

viHASKh.png

4655-CA2-C-AFD1-4-AE8-98-B9-C98-E9-B941-E78.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I am just outside Kildare village. I am getting excited.

This is my current mood.

cOldtOr.jpg

Ok he has had his mass...back OT...rain gathering from the west - just to remember there is a risk of flooding over the next 36 hours across north Leinster, Connaught and south Ulster in particular.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Advertisement

Ok he has had his mass...back OT...rain gathering from the west - just to remember there is a risk of flooding over the next 36 hours across north Leinster, Connaught and south Ulster in particular.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Looks like good ole Shannon is down again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cant see there being any snow in Dublin, lowest temp Met have is a around 4 to 5 C then it dries up and gets a bit cooler

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looks like good ole Shannon is down again

Not according to what I'm seeing.

Not according to what I'm seeing.

Ahh looking at the recent radar image yup it does look like it’s all good!

ECM going with an hour or two of snow in the southeast which has to be close to base case. Still time for nudges here and there which would make a big difference locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Just to add,the difference between this event is in the South east this time wind is off the land not the sea
    Huge difference especially to the east of high ground if snow is going to fall to sea level
    The cold air digging will also have had a long land track over the island to South leinster especially neutralising a lot of its marine wateryness
    More guidance tomorrow and probably even Wednesday needed to call this

Please forgive the uneducated question but, does this mean high ground in wexford is more likely to see snow due to a lower marine influence as it transitions over high ground during the afternoon /evening?

I'm 150 mtrs asl on the east side of the Blackstairs Mountain and watching this closely .

barney 20v wrote: »
    Please forgive the uneducated question but, does this mean high ground in wexford is more likely to see snow due to a lower marine influence as it transitions over high ground during the afternoon /evening?

I'm 150 mtrs asl on the east side of the Blackstairs Mountain and watching this closely .

You're in a better position than me I think,a lot better and I'm expecting a bit of wet snow on the coast in E wicklow
    Grounds going to be saturated or flooded though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Big temperature contrast across the country tomorrow. Met Eireann forecast showed 2c across Donegal and up to 11c in the south.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

An area of drizzle and heavy mist has formed in northern Ulster ahead of the main system.

Very wet here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Big temperature contrast across the country tomorrow. Met Eireann forecast showed 2c across Donegal and up to 11c in the south.

Was looking at Galway and they are down for a 11c high tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement