Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People are leaving WhatsApp

Comments

mariaalice wrote: »
    So what happens when Signal and Telegram go to sell or inevitable want to harvest your data in some way, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Morse code could be an option.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f298rug284pgq4txl9g0o49ip1u1osfcq6cjr8lq7e8&rid=giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Korvanica wrote: »
    You clearly did not read any of them either before making your smug remark.

https://signal.org/legal/#terms-of-service

I don't use them so why would I read the T&C? :confused:

Tell the truth, you only read them because I posted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Whatsapp is a messaging tool
    Plenty of alternatives
    If Facebook did try to do that then everyone would leave. Simple.

Facebook already does that.
    FB posts can be removed, users can be banned according to FB ethical standards. Such standards are not democratically voted and arguably go against freedom of speech

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Telegram is a bit of a Frankenstein. Some kind of merge of Usenet, Twitter and WhatsApp. There are public "channels" on Telegram used for sharing all sorts of content - copyrighted material and illegal material. Imagine a WhatsApp group with 200,000 random people in it. Which pretty much guarantees that sooner or later it's going to be shut down or heavily regulated.

The founders are Russian, though it's HQed in London. The founders are aligned in opposition to Putin, which is comforting, but also means that Russia is likely quite interested in acquiring or breaching the platform.

Signal is far more of a pure messenger application, and built in a way that makes it completely secured. The lack of accountability to a corporate head also means that features won't be added or removed to please shareholders, and makes it much harder for governments to put pressure on it.

Edward Snowden uses Signal and in his words, "I'm still alive", which should tell you everything you need to know about whether it's secure enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Twitter value on the stock market has dropped in the last few days, whatever trend they had in 2020 it has now been reversed.

Nike dropped for few weeks after people burnt their products and went back up. Once this whole Trump stuff blows over share price will rise.
    Also, consider that Twitter is losing users and value while virtually competing with no one.
    Parler and Gab are being forcefully evicted from Apple/Amazon/Android platforms.
    Once they are back this may have an additional impact

Parler and GAB were not serious competitors. Twitters competition is Facebook/Instagram and the like not a far right app.

Parler and GAB won't be back either. They failed to follow the rules set down by Google, amazon etc and made those companies look bad in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Nike dropped for few weeks after people burnt their products and went back up. Once this whole Trump stuff blows over share price will rise.

Parler and GAB were not serious competitors. Twitters competition is Facebook/Instagram and the like not a far right app.

Parler and GAB won't be back either. They failed to follow the rules set down by Google, amazon etc and made those companies look bad in the process.

GAB is still there, never went away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

seamus wrote: »
    Telegram is a bit of a Frankenstein. Some kind of merge of Usenet, Twitter and WhatsApp. There are public "channels" on Telegram used for sharing all sorts of content - copyrighted material and illegal material. Imagine a WhatsApp group with 200,000 random people in it. Which pretty much guarantees that sooner or later it's going to be shut down or heavily regulated.

The founders are Russian, though it's HQed in London. The founders are aligned in opposition to Putin, which is comforting, but also means that Russia is likely quite interested in acquiring or breaching the platform.

Signal is far more of a pure messenger application, and built in a way that makes it completely secured. The lack of accountability to a corporate head also means that features won't be added or removed to please shareholders, and makes it much harder for governments to put pressure on it.

Edward Snowden uses Signal and in his words, "I'm still alive", which should tell you everything you need to know about whether it's secure enough.

Russia blocked Telegram completely for a time. They've asked for and been refused the encryption keys.
    "What’s behind Russia’s decision to ditch its ban on Telegram? - Atlantic Council" https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/new-atlanticist/whats-behind-russias-decision-to-ditch-its-ban-on-telegram/

Telegram and Signal were not serious competitors until last week. Things have been changing.

GAB is back already, they only have server issues because Amazon is shutting down traffic on their clouds. Technical issues that can be addressed.

Parler is set to come back too.

Also who gives Google/Apple/Amazon the rights to decide the ethical rules to operate on a free market?

Facebook already does that.
    FB posts can be removed, users can be banned according to FB ethical standards. Such standards are not democratically voted and arguably go against freedom of speech

You can say the same about boards.

JMNolan wrote: »
    GAB is still there, never went away

Correct.

Apparently Amazon was creating trouble with slowing down traffic on their serves, anyway it's back up now

• Advertisement

You can say the same about boards.

Boards has plenty of competitors, FB doesn't
    if you are banned from FB it's not the same

Twitters competition is Facebook/Instagram and the like not a far right app.

Gab supports free speech. They only remove content when it violates the 1st amendment of the American constitution.
    I think you are confusing free speech for alt right

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

WhatsApp users are abandoning the platform for Telegram and Signal after Mark Zuckerberg updated its privacy policies to allow WhatsApp to share its users’ data with Facebook.

Telegram reported that 25 million people joined its service in just 72 hours, bringing its total active users to half a billion.
    Signal has also seen a huge boost in numbers.

Are we seeing the beginning of something here?
    I have downloaded both Telegram and Signal as i also won't be accepting WhatsApp new terms and conditions.
    Maybe it's time to bring competitors into the arena

Not surprising. Also seen scuttlebut that Parler is cooperating with the FBI.

We appear to be in the middle of a pendulum swing from 9/11 to Patriot Act to Snowden Leaks to encrypted chats to a planned insurrection and now back to checks and balances on the right to privacy against national security interests.

Boards has plenty of competitors, FB doesn't
    if you are banned from FB it's not the same

Keep changing those goal posts.

Overheal wrote: »
    Not surprising. Also seen scuttlebut that Parler is cooperating with the FBI.

We appear to be in the middle of a pendulum swing from 9/11 to Patriot Act to Snowden Leaks to encrypted chats to a planned insurrection and now back to checks and balances on the right to privacy against national security interests.

I agree and I hope we keep the ball rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Correct.

Apparently Amazon was creating trouble with slowing down traffic on their serves, anyway it's back up now

You also said the below
    "GAB is back already, they only have server issues because Amazon is shutting down traffic on their clouds"

Gab isn't on Amazon servers...they host themselves.
    I know they were kicked off Google and Go daddy in the past.

But hey a platform which happily provides a platform for neo Nazis and white supremacists isn't really for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

WhatsApp users are abandoning the platform for Telegram and Signal after Mark Zuckerberg updated its privacy policies to allow WhatsApp to share its users’ data with Facebook.

Telegram reported that 25 million people joined its service in just 72 hours, bringing its total active users to half a billion.
    Signal has also seen a huge boost in numbers.

Are we seeing the beginning of something here?
    I have downloaded both Telegram and Signal as i also won't be accepting WhatsApp new terms and conditions.
    Maybe it's time to bring competitors into the arena

This is zones outside of EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/whatsapp-fights-back-as-users-flee-to-signal-and-telegram-1.4457258

"Signal was downloaded 8.8 million times worldwide in the week after the WhatsApp changes were first announced on January 4th, versus 246,000 times the week before, according to data from Sensor Tower.

The app also got a boost when Elon Musk, the chief executive of Tesla, tweeted “Use Signal” on January 7th.

By contrast, WhatsApp recorded 9.7 million downloads in the week after the announcement, compared with 11.3 million before, a 14 per cent decrease, Sensor Tower said."

After musk tweeted that, the stock increased with another company of the same name lol

https://twitter.com/signalapp/status/1347622177437151233?s=19

gmisk wrote: »

But hey a platform which happily provides a platform for neo Nazis and white supremacists isn't really for me.

I see you did your little google search
    Google doesn't like GAB, that's the type of info you'll find about GAB on google
    if you check the platform yourself you'll find all sort of opinions, much like here
    GAB is open to free speak, don't confuse free speech for alt right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Also who gives Google/Apple/Amazon the rights to decide the ethical rules to operate on a free market?

The US constitution does.

• Advertisement

Keep changing those goal posts.

That was always the goal post from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see you did your little google search
    Google doesn't like GAB, that's the type of info you'll find about GAB on google
    if you check the platform yourself you'll find all sort of opinions, much like here
    GAB is open to free speak, don't confuse free speech for alt right
    Naw your grand, I have seen enough screenshots of messages, but you go enjoy it.

Happily left out the rest of my message I see...so you admit your nonsense about Amazon was just that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The fella who sold bebo for something like 300 or 400 million dollars bought it back about 2 years later for 1 million purely for nostalgic reasons

Edit: Was 5 years later and went from 850 million down to 1 million. He probably didn't get all the 850 million though! https://venturebeat.com/2013/07/01/bebo-bargain-after-selling-to-aol-for-850m-in-2008-founders-buy-it-back-for-1m/
    Then he sold it again for US$25 million to Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

stuff about skype and meet now is coming up on my phone we are all being harvested :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

always weary of what people are hiding when they spout nonsense like this , I don't give a ****e what google knows im looking at i've nothing to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Anniepowaa wrote: »
    always weary of what people are hiding when they spout nonsense like this , I don't give a ****e what google knows im looking at i've nothing to hide

Why

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This is very true, all the talk of the Chinese spying on us is funny, if anyone wants to build an app that secretly knows I went a did the shopping in aldi last Tuesday then away with them.

The thing is, personal data isn't sold by Facebook to discover secrets.

Cambridge Analytica famously bought data from facebook to design customized feeds to influence people's political opinions.

gmisk wrote: »
    Naw your grand, I have seen enough screenshots of messages, but you go enjoy it.

Happily left out the rest of my message I see...so you admit your nonsense about Amazon was just that then?

Screenshot of our conversations in here are shared outside all the time.
    Taking things about of their original context and edit specific bits is an easy trick

• Advertisement

This is zones outside of EU.

Europe too

Advertisement