Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant sync my Casio Oceanus

• 12-01-2021 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I purchased a secondhand Oceanus back in September from an online watch marketplace. It's the best watch I've ever had and I was preparing to cherish it forever.

However, yesterday I noticed the time was off by many hours and the date a day ahead. I pressed the time sync button at the 4 o'clock position but it didn't go to the Y/N section as usual, it just kept ticking. It didn't sync with the atomic clock at overnight either.

I thought the battery may be low as it has been dark and rainy the past couple days. An hour or two under a light didn't help though.

Any Oceanus or Casio owners here aware of what the problem may be?

Comments

I can only give general suggestions.

If the time suddenly changed, probably the battery went flat and then it subsequently came back alive. In doing so it will have lost the time and time zone setting.

If the time is off by many hours then nightly auto-sync many not be successful. Same for time zone, if it is set incorrectly then it might be listening for the wrong signal.

If the second hand is moving in 2s increments, the battery is low and multiband is disabled.

Manual multiband syncs during the day are pointless. The signal is stronger at night.

Personally I would manually set the time and time zone, then leave it on a window sill and forget about it for a few days. If that fixes it then over the coming weeks I would continue to give it plenty of light because it can take several hundred hours of indoor light to fully charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Amik

I can only give general suggestions.

If the time suddenly changed, probably the battery went flat and then it subsequently came back alive. In doing so it will have lost the time and time zone setting.

If the time is off by many hours then nightly auto-sync many not be successful. Same for time zone, if it is set incorrectly then it might be listening for the wrong signal.

If the second hand is moving in 2s increments, the battery is low and multiband is disabled.

Manual multiband syncs during the day are pointless. The signal is stronger at night.

Personally I would manually set the time and time zone, then leave it on a window sill and forget about it for a few days. If that fixes it then over the coming weeks I would continue to give it plenty of light because it can take several hundred hours of indoor light to fully charge.

Thanks teotwawki! I forgot about the 2 second increments low battery indicator but not seeing that. I'll leave it in the "sun" on the windowsill for a day or two and cross my fingers.

The no response when I click the sync button is my biggest worry but I'll be hopeful.

UPDATE: I checked the time zone and it showed as RGN. I pushed it back to LON and the manual sync is working again! Doesn't work for UTC but I guess that's by design?

So this is a feature to let me know the watch lost power and is unsure what time zone it's in? Clever Casio.

RNG is Yangon/Rangoon. I don't know how or why it would become set to that time zone. If it rebooted due to empty battery, I would have assumed it comes back alive with the default home city set to Tokyo (for a JDM watch) or maybe UTC. But I don't have that particular watch so I might be wrong.

The home city will determine the radio signal(s) that it listens for, and also the order in which it listens.

Anyway seems like you have it sorted.

Wife looked at me strange after I kissed the watch. :P

That was the first time since September I touched the crown. Not a single issue with it until today, tough movement just working and syncing away. Looking forward to upgrading to another Oceanus with a day indicator and a bit more bling in the near future. Really a nice brand!

Bear in mind that if the battery was indeed emptied, it will take quite a while to get it fully charged, particularly in winter. The manual gives examples. So for a couple of weeks, just be aware of this.

I've seen before where people have a solar watch that runs out of juice and they seek help. They give it a couple of hours of light and yahoo, it's working again. But then they're back a few days later complaining that it's stopped again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=539242&stc=1&d=1610461151

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

OP, which oceanus is it?

I've seen before where people have a solar watch that runs out of juice and they seek help. They give it a couple of hours of light and yahoo, it's working again. But then they're back a few days later complaining that it's stopped again.

Good to know! I'll leave it in the window during the day and under a lamp for a few hours at night. I do wear it almost every day but WFH so not getting enough light exposure. Even right now it's a bit dark and dreary here in the living room. :P

I'm just surprised I wasn't warned with the 2 seconds skip. I'll keep an eye on it.

By the way, I did a manual sync at 15:00 and no issue getting a signal during the day, just have to point it in the direction of the UK and mainland Europe.

njburke wrote: »
    OP, which oceanus is it?

It's the OCW-T150-2AJF. The photo below doesn't do it justice: the light blue is very pleasing and the indices sparkle. I'd pick this colour again but with a model that has a day indicator.

e-bloom_casiow-ocw-t150-2ajf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I have the s100 which looks to have the same module, mine seems to sync ok. It's time matches a t200 which syncs by radio or bluetooth to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I find those plastic display stands that come with some cheaper watches (Casio, Timex) handy for charging solar batteries on watches. Just stick your eco-drive or whatever on the stand and put it on the window-sill/frame for a while.

• Advertisement

I find those plastic display stands that come with some cheaper watches (Casio, Timex) handy for charging solar batteries on watches. Just stick your eco-drive or whatever on the stand and put it on the window-sill/frame for a while.

Display stand is a nice charging idea but I'm thinking about a safe now...

MYSTERY SOLVED after a confession...

My younger daughter who's home due to the school closings found the Oceanus resting on my desk. Crown turning and button pushing ensued...

That explains the unusual RGN time zone setting. :P

So the Oceanus continues to provide solid service: no technical issues! I will ask Casio to consider a child lock feature. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Amik wrote: »

So the Oceanus continues to provide solid service: no technical issues! I will ask Casio to consider a child lock feature though. :)

You need to nurture her horological interest, maybe buy her a digital Casio with buttons she can play with.

Advertisement