Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PCB design software

• 26-12-2020 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

I use KiCad and have designed a good few boards with but it doesn't like curves or curved tracks and in some other ways it feels a bit wooden to work with. Though it isn't bad at all for something that's free and I reckon it will serve me for quite a while yet

Is there something else I should be using? The commercial stuff seems very expensive (Altium) or else they won't even tell you the price (solid works)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FrancisSobotka

AFAIK the latest nightly build of KiCAD (5.99.xx) allows curved tracks & it will be standard in release 6 - my experience is that most ECAD software deals with curves relatively poorly, in the case of tracking its only rf & planar magnetic designs I've had reason to use it for conductors otherwise only for library parts
    Cadence have a deal at present until Dec31 I believe standard license €450 that's very good value but steep learning curve if its new to you - if you use ECAD infrequently use then my advise would be to stick with KiCAD I use it a little and it holds it own in a lot of areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭PommieBast

First question that sprang to my mind is which version the OP is using. Last time I checked Ubuntu Linux was still shipping v4 :eek:

Advertisement