Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Targets

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Half year update. In order of priority -
    1. Get an actual plan (for 800 m) starting from January 1st and stick to it. Okay, I didn't start until the 18th of January. But I did it and so completed my first structured training plan.
    2. 800 m - Sub 2:10 (current best 2:12(13 or 14)ish). Ran 2:08 at the end of the training plan in April.
    3. Mile - Sub 4:50 (current best 4:57). No efforts made yet this year.
    4. 3 K - Sub 10:00 (current best 10:02). Managed 9:46 last weekend.
    5. 5 K - Sub 17:00 (current best 17:17). Had a go during the Boards TT but only managed 17:13.
    6. 10 K - 36:30 (current best 36:45). A surprising 35:58 on a windy May day.
    7. 10 mile - Sub 60 (current best 60:59). Definitely don't have the stomach for this at the moment. This will be an end of year smash and grab effort.
    8. Join a club. Pending
    9. Avoid the GAA junior D draft. Paid club membership but registered as a non playing member. The squad sounds like it's heaving this year. I'm optimistic my services will not be requested.

4/9. Halfwayish at the halfway point in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

I ran this morning for the first time in about eight years. I've been pretty hardcore in cycling in that time, but lately work has demanded more hours due to people leaving and I'm doing an evening course so I thought running would be the best way to get in the best workout at 7am before work starts.

I thought a fair base goal would be to be able to do a 5km in 30mins, My body has a lot of adjusting to do as the entire sensation and load of running is totally different to cycling but it would be nice to be a bit more versatile with my fitness, not really sure how quickly I'll progress but with my base fitness from cycling I'll probably attempt the 5k at some point next week. Just doing 2-3km jogs with the other half for the first few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Had started the year hoping to better some of my PB's and thankfully I did, bar my Marathon PB which I reckon I'll need a race for. So for the rest of the year I hope to get close to 4-10 for 1K, break 7mins for the Mile, under 23mins for a parkrun, under 47mins for a 10K (I've got under 1-30 for a 10Mile but garmin desn't rate 10 miles?) and finally under 1-50 for a half marathon. I'd like to break 4-20 for a marathon, 4-29-50 is my current best (Dub 2019)

Cream on top would be getting over 2000 miles for the year

554639.png

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I ran this morning for the first time in about eight years. I've been pretty hardcore in cycling in that time, but lately work has demanded more hours due to people leaving and I'm doing an evening course so I thought running would be the best way to get in the best workout at 7am before work starts.

I thought a fair base goal would be to be able to do a 5km in 30mins, My body has a lot of adjusting to do as the entire sensation and load of running is totally different to cycling but it would be nice to be a bit more versatile with my fitness, not really sure how quickly I'll progress but with my base fitness from cycling I'll probably attempt the 5k at some point next week. Just doing 2-3km jogs with the other half for the first few days!

Did the 5k this morning - 31 mins with a couple of stops. The body has already adjusted to the impact of running and I feel my form has already improved. Next target is to do 5k without stopping, maybe sub 28 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Half-year update:
    crisco10 wrote: »
    My goals for 2021 are very much process as opposed to outcome, also the year is clearly split in 3.

Jan - April; keep good steady mileage of at least 40km a week, if COVID allows do a 5k race

Had one "bad" week before C was born. Didn't get a race or TT in, but not my fault. I'll put this one down as achieved!

April - October; after (fingers crossed) the new addition to the family, maintain as best I can running as life changes in ways I can't imagine now.

So far so good on this, after a messy April and early May, my mileage is returning to approx 40 to 50km per week which is pretty good I think. What is missing is a) intensity and b) particularly long runs. It's just easier to get out every day for ~7km rather than easy and hard/long days.

Partially Achieved.
    October - December; Work double buggy running into my training. :-)

Let's see. The double buggy is in the hall, and has been tested for running with just E. T minus 3 months until C is big enough to go for a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Havent posted here since May:

In the last month brought 5k down to 19.17 and a relay event last Friday week brought 2 mile time down to 11.49. Didnt realise I could do one sub 6 let alone 2 back to back- I was shagged though.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Seeing as I am out of action for the rest of the year with a bit of a niggle I thought I'd up date on what has been a great year for me. Niggle aside!!

400m PB 75 Target 70 - I never made it onto a track all year so this remains untouched

1km PB 3:47 Target 3:30 - As above - have done 3:35 in interval reps - so its there I suspect.

Mile PB 6:40 Target 6:29 - 6:11 in a group training run - more in the tank for sure

5K PB 21:51 Target 21:00 - 20:22 - chip timed road race

10k PB 47:38 Target 46:30 - 44:38 a solo run on a 10k road race route.

10mile PB 1:24:24 Target 1:20:00 - 1:16:51 self timed

half marathon PB 1:56:41 Target 1:49:59 - 1:41:15 chip timed. - went off a bit too easy for the first 5k should have gone sub 100mins - just bottled it at the start as it was my first attempt at the distance in a race

Post edited by whatnext on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lost4Life

I don’t post often on boards, but said I would come back here at end of 2021 to reflect on given targets.

Update:

New Mile PB: 4.50 (within below 5k - Dec ‘21)

New 3k PB: 9.28 (track Sept ‘21)

New 5k PB: 16.07 (road Nov ‘21)

New 10k PB: 34.14 (road Nov ‘21) - Race win.

Big chunks off novice/int/senior XC times & part of club team placings.

Concentrated on the above distances so didn’t race anything longer.

Summary / Points that helped me achieve these times:

I ran consistent milage and stayed injury free. I stuck to a plan. I trained with a group of faster runners than me. I ran a lot of easy runs on grass & took the easy days easy. I wasn’t afraid of running hard on session days - I trained the body to race. I didn’t look at watch much when racing - I ran hard. I didn’t enter too many races & trained properly for 3k/5k/10k distances.

Most of all - I enjoyed my running.

With that, came the rewards..

New targets to come in a 2022 thread. HNY all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's one impressive year. Pity you don't log in the training logs and by pity I mean pity for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

As awesome as the numbers are (well done on a super year!), it's the simplicity of your general philosophy that stands out. Happy New Year and all the best for 22. As Swashbuckler said, be great to learn more about you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Didn't reach the 2000 miles which I had hoped to, but I still managed to complete 67 marathon distances after I finished an 8K run this morning. Must admit to being really tired for the last few weeks, so a short break in the new year before I start into a training plan for Cork in June. Entering the lottery for Dublin, so fingers crossed I get in.

Didn't suffer any running related injuries, took one week off in March to rest and then pulled a rib muscle which meant another week off late on in the year. Hoping to take advantage of the increase in mileage I did this year, by looking at following Pfitz's 18/55 marathon plan from the end of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

2'263 miles ran injury free.

Did my trail marathon (a few more of them)

Did a few Ultra runs.

And got a podium at an IMRA race, thrilled with myself.

So I had a great year (til COVID hit)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Try to remain motivated to actually run for the year.

Guess I managed that seeing as I'm still here. Bit of a weak target though to be claiming as a win.

Run a sub 3 in a small marathon somewhere in late spring/ early summer in the event small races are allowed back. This would then give me the flexibility to try and run a stupid pace in London or Dublin.

Didn't make sub 3, but then marathons didn't happen when expected either. Did make a 3:06 and secured another GFA place though so will take that as half achieved.

See if I can run a parkrun faster in 2021 not pushing a buggy, than I was in 2019 pushing the buggy.

Smashed that and got close to all time parkrun pb times, but with canine assistance so might count as cheating. But did beat individual buggy times without dog power on a couple of courses and got within a couple of seconds of all time buggy pb. Certainly achievable on the right day so I'm taking that.

Run something stupid long distance/ duration

Not quite what I was expecting, but did another 24 hour relay event which was great fun and I'll take that as another half completed.

Fairly poor results overall from fairly unchallenging targets. But considering the year that's just happened it will do and ends the year not injured so ready to try again for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

God this was boring.

Hit 2807 miles on my session yesterday so target 1 was achieved. That's about 150 miles up on last year. Managed to remain injury free. Ran approx 348 days I think. At the time of writing the original post little did I know we'd have a new arrival nine months later. So while I've managed to hit the mileage, the sleep, recovery and adaptations have all been impacted.

Ran a 10k race in August which was about 15s outside my pb with a very tough last few km against strong wind so I was pleased with that.

Sets me up nicely for the start of marathon block for limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Not sure if i posted a target for 2021, if i did it was to be still alive and still running, so all good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Thats a great thing to say as it's so true...

Roll on 2022 and all the hills it can throw at us !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Second half of the year not as productive as the first half. Missed one of the bigger ones (the mile) but only had one proper attempt at it in an indoor race.

[Copy and paste] - In order of priority -

1. Get an actual plan (for 800 m) starting from January 1st and stick to it. Okay, I didn't start until the 18th of January. But I did it and so completed my first structured training plan.
    2. 800 m - Sub 2:10 (current best 2:12(13 or 14)ish). Ran 2:08 at the end of the training plan in April.
    3. Mile - Sub 4:50 (current best 4:57). One effort in an indoor race where I was in the slowest of 3 heats which probably scuppered my ambitions. Serious lack of race experience meant I went out too fast (800m pace for 1st lap) and led from the gun dying horribly in the second half but still holding on to win it in 5:01. A miss.
    4. 3 K - Sub 10:00 (current best 10:02). Managed 9:46 last weekend.
    5. 5 K - Sub 17:00 (current best 17:17). A controversial 16:59 in a TT 😀
    6. 10 K - 36:30 (current best 36:45). A surprising 35:58 on a windy May day.
    7. 10 mile - Sub 60 (current best 60:59). Tried a smash and grab on this on Dec 23rd as the year was drawing to a close. Hadn't been feeling it but had a go to see how it went. On target through 6 miles but the 6th really killed me on an a long uphill and that was it. Abandoned during the 7th mile.
    8. Join a club. Joined the local club last September. Hoping to actually do a club race in the Masters CC next weekend.
    9. Avoid the GAA junior D draft. A couple of calls to drop into the squad but I declined. They won their respective championship. (Second year in a row the squad I turned down did that). Surprisingly, I had no regret on either occasion. Thinking on it, I guess having played Senior in Cavan for many years and with it not being my original home club I was simply just delighted for all the lads that did win.

I know there were some novelty targets there but 7/9 for 2021. The mile has left me with some unfinished business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

5K - sub 17:30 (PB 18:5x) - 17:59

5 mile - sub 30:00 (PB unknown) - n/a

10K - sub 37:00 (PB unknown) - 39:17

Even more lofty

1 mile - sub 5:00 (PB unknown) - n/a

3K - sub 10:00 (PB unknown) - n/a

Failed to achieve any of my goals, which were always highly ambitious. Unfortunately it has been a year dogged by injuries and niggles and I just haven't been able to get any consistency in my training. Hopefully a more productive year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Ended the year with another of new p.bs but fell shy of target times

Marathon: 3:08.08

800m: 2.15.1

1 mile: 5.14

5k: no improvement

10k: ran 38.25

Half: 1:24:50

• Advertisement
Advertisement