Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If the world goes completely vegan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I'm sure they'd be very welcoming if we went to the farming forum and started telling them how processed meats are heavily linked to bowel and other forms of cancer. But of course I'm sure they only eat locally sourced clean meat from an animal that has been put to sleep in the most humane way possible.

I think they are fair points and I don’t see anything precluding anyone from posting in farming and forestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Jjameson wrote: »
    I think they are fair points and I don’t see anything precluding anyone from posting in farming and forestry.

I have no business posting there, that's a forum for farmers. It really is amazing how obsessed you all are with what is said in a vegan forum. We are never going to agree on anything so why not just let things be, I'm sure business is booming for you anyway with the worldwide growth in meat demand I keep hearing about.

I have no business posting there, that's a forum for farmers. It really is amazing how obsessed you all are with what is said in a vegan forum. We are never going to agree on anything so why not just let things be, I'm sure business is booming for you anyway with the worldwide growth in meat demand I keep hearing about.
    Nothing precluded anyone with an interest in the topics discussed. You don’t have to be a farmer.
    I see no prerequisite to be a believer of all things vegan to post here and many like me so this is unlikely to become the one sided echo chamber you desire!

Nothing precluded anyone with an interest in the topics discussed. You don’t have to be a farmer.
    I see no prerequisite to be a believer of all things vegan to post here and many like me so this is unlikely to become the one sided echo chamber you desire!

Not really I just don't get farmers can gain from posting in a place where people believe that the farming and slaughter of animals is cruel and unnecessary, no matter what. I mean one poster seems to meticulously crawl through everyone's posts here, on what must be an almost daily basis, it's a sick obsession for him.
    It's like going to the Christian forum and continually telling them there's no such thing as God, it's pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

OK we're going off topic here. A new thread can be started if you wish to discuss what's going on in the F&F forum, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The moderation here is genuinely difficult to credit...

Ok, to keep more strictly in-line with the topic of discussion:

If everyone were to go vegan tomorrow, male chicks would no longer be ground up alive at birth.

We'd no longer have to hear about the horrors of factory farming, there was a horrific exposé of what goes on behind closed doors in Spanish pig factory farms published a week or so ago. I've seen similar stories in Northern Ireland too, we also had that fire recently where 1000s of them burned to death on top of each other.

El Tarangu wrote: »

If everyone were to go vegan tomorrow, male chicks would no longer be ground up alive at birth.

So are they released into the wild tomorrow or fed to old age?

Kill them all, like they're doing with the minks, and then never allow that type of farming abomination to happen again. Obviously.

They could all be culled. Or fed and kept to live out until old age. We currently spend billions subsidising the production of animals as things stand; this would be the same thing, only without the trip to the slaughterhouse. I'm sure that farmers would be happy enough to continue to accept taxpayers money to tend to these animals for another few years.

• Advertisement

They could all be culled. Or fed and kept to live out until old age. We currently spend billions subsidising the production of animals as things stand; this would be the same thing, only without the trip to the slaughterhouse. I'm sure that farmers would be happy enough to continue to accept taxpayers money to tend to these animals for another few years.

But we aren’t farmers anymore we are all vegans tomorrow so there’s no one to kill them ,and we can’t keep them captive?

But we aren’t farmers anymore we are all vegans tomorrow so there’s no one to kill them ,and we can’t keep them captive?

Dammit. You've sussed the whole vegan/vegetarian movement. I'm off to buy some spare ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Oh the the subject of subsidies I think it's better to stay away from it. It goes to all different types of farmers arable or livestock it cost ever citizen in the EU no more than forty cents per year and allows farmers to deliver food at a higher standard then the global average

Well, it's not my stupid hypothetical - you asked me what could be done with all the animals, and I've just told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not really I just don't get farmers can gain from posting in a place where people believe that the farming and slaughter of animals is cruel and unnecessary, no matter what. I mean one poster seems to meticulously crawl through everyone's posts here, on what must be an almost daily basis, it's a sick obsession for him.
    It's like going to the Christian forum and continually telling them there's no such thing as God, it's pointless.

I think the underlying thing is there is no need for anyone or everyone to go vegan unless they want to. Sure farming has its demons, but so too veganism
    Has its extremists who act like fascists trying to bully and abuse ordinary decent folk into their way of like.
    I get that vegans have an issue with slaughter of animals for food, but why let that emotional weakness try y and hold the whole world to ransoms and force a way of life into people who just don’t want it, where is the tolerance and acceptance of difference in choices.

Calling people murderers or rapists or animal abusers is just bully boy tactics, the sign of a group who have realised there is no rational argument to be made and so move to name calling and abuse.

Gary kk wrote: »
    Oh the the subject of subsidies I think it's better to stay away from it. It goes to all different types of farmers arable or livestock it cost ever citizen in the EU no more than forty cents per year and allows farmers to deliver food at a higher standard then the global average

Well, tbh I don't have any particular desire for my tax money to sudsidise arable farmers, either, any more than I would like to subsidise carpenters or clockmakers or any other profession. Whereas I actively object to subsidising activities that I have a moral objection to.

Well, tbh I don't have any particular desire for my tax money to sudsidise arable farmers, either, any more than I would like to subsidise carpenters or clockmakers or any other profession. Whereas I actively object to subsidising activities that I have a moral objection to.

Good thing your not in charge so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've only seen this theory of it being waste product for human products on boards.ie tbh. I'm not convinced.

Soya hulls and soya meal ( what's left after the oil is removed ) are imported in large quantities , cotton seed , citrus pulp ( what's left after juicing oranges ect,) some beet pulp -used to be home produced but our sugar industry got shut down .
    Brewers grains is what's left after making beer , and distillers is what's left after whisky and spirits ( likely to be Irish produce ) ,
    I'm sure there are loads of others but I can't think of them right now

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Soya hulls and soya meal ( what's left after the oil is removed ) are imported in large quantities , cotton seed , citrus pulp ( what's left after juicing oranges ect,) some beet pulp -used to be home produced but our sugar industry got shut down .
    Brewers grains is what's left after making beer , and distillers is what's left after whisky and spirits ( likely to be Irish produce ) ,

So are all of these reports from the UN and Oxford university about the majority of farmland being used to feed animals false, or what?
    It's primarily for human products and animals get the leftovers?

Well, it's not my stupid hypothetical - you asked me what could be done with all the animals, and I've just told you.

Global veganism is indeed a stupid hypothetical.. and your answer isn’t in line with it.
    But on a more serious note I do actually have partial agreement with monk on one issue and that is factory farming!
    But not in terms of welfare in the eu at least.. more food quality, perceived monetary value of food. A huge amount Veg is factory produced, forced to grow under glass, environmentally damaging ecosystems and co2 levels. Israeli broccoli in Aldi today. Barmy.

• Advertisement

And ground-up male chicks are used for fertilizer - while I'm sure that we all admire this thriftiness, it doesn't get away from the fact that a huge proportion of the land under cultivation today is exclusively for livestock feed, including large areas of south america that used to be rainforest. If there no more livestock animals, most of this land could be used for other things.

And ground-up male chicks are used for fertilizer - while I'm sure that we all admire this thriftiness, it doesn't get away from the fact that a huge proportion of the land under cultivation today is exclusively for livestock feed, including large areas of south america that used to be rainforest. If there no more livestock animals, most of this land could be used for other things.

What the farmers on here say is that this land is actually for human products, but the leftovers go to animals. So it's not grown for animals at all, apparently.
    I wish we could put this one to bed once and for all.

What the farmers on here say is that this land is actually for human products, but the leftovers go to animals. So it's not grown for animals at all, apparently.
    I wish we could put this one to bed once and for all.
    From what I can decipher soya is about 50 50 in terms of economics between oil and animal feed. A move away from both would be of benefit environmentally and a sway toward regenerative animal farming practices is where it should be going.

From what I can decipher soya is about 50 50 in terms of economics between oil and animal feed. A move away from both would be of benefit environmentally and a sway toward regenerative animal farming practices is where it should be going.

Could we produce all the beef and dairy we currently do in Ireland using regenerative farming practices and no imported feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So are all of these reports from the UN and Oxford university about the majority of farmland being used to feed animals false, or what?
    It's primarily for human products and animals get the leftovers?

No , there's a lot of crops grown specifically for animals too , most of the cereals grown in Ireland are grown for animal feed, ( exception would be malting barly ) ,
    But it can make stats hard to decipher accurately , if I'm feeding soya meal , And that rightly get attributed as a soya product .. but it's also the left over from soya oil production .. so I don't know what would happen to it otherwise ,( I suppose some could be used for human consumption )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

It works both ways, consumers get their food cheap due to these subsidies.... otherwise you'd be paying through the roof for produce no matter if it's grains, veg or meat... that's the reason farmers get subsidies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

No , there's a lot of crops grown specifically for animals too , most of the cereals grown in Ireland are grown for animal feed, ( exception would be malting barly ) ,
    But it can make stats hard to decipher accurately , if I'm feeding soya meal , And that rightly get attributed as a soya product .. but it's also the left over from soya oil production .. so I don't know what would happen to it otherwise ,( I suppose some could be used for human consumption )

I would love to see flour milling coming back to Ireland again. There are a couple of small producers at it. All that's been sold alot of time is bleached rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Yes.
    And pigs wouldn't be chewing on each other's open sores nor thrown alive into tanks of boiling water as seen in Mexico. They wouldn't have to be pried away from metal trailors using crow bars after having frozen to death in transport over large distances in Canada's Winter.
    Frightened and terrified dogs on puppy farms wouldn't exist ( don't buy a dog, especially at Christmas). Nor would the caged dogs awaiting a clubbing on the head, then blowtorched to remove hair before being killed for human consumption.
    Ducks and geese would no longer be terrified and exhausted after many weeks of continued desperate gavaging to make foie gras from their bloated livers. The process has been compared to torture in Brazil. Even in the high welfare use ( not all instances) of the practice in France birds are left terrified of the farmer, panting, damaged throats and unable to move as their oversized liver pushes against other organs.
    Bears in cages in China lying on their sides with their gallbladders cathetered for bile would stop.
    Male calves generally useless to the industry wouldn't be killed ( methods including plastic bags and lump hammers have been noted in Ireland ) nor transported long distances to be fattened for veal in confinement.
    Animals wouldn't be transported from temperate climates to hot climates, especially in Summer or to countries experiencing heatwaves.
    Animals would not be sent to countries which have basically no animal welfare guidelines: take Irish cattle sent to Libya for example where it's been reported were beaten, stabbed and dragged by the eye sockets. An Irish man or woman with the backing of the Irish government sent them to that fate.

What would happen to farmed animals if the World went vegan tomorrow? Well the above listed would not happen to them anymore.
    A vegan world would see these extreme acts confined to history.

That's a rather broad brush you have used auspicious. On the same reasoning we all should take responsibility for every person killed or tortured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

auspicious wrote: »
    Yes.
    And pigs wouldn't be chewing on each other's open sores nor thrown alive into tanks of boiling water as seen in Mexico. They wouldn't have to be pried away from metal trailors using crow bars after having frozen to death in transport over large distances in Canada's Winter.
    Frightened and terrified dogs on puppy farms wouldn't exist ( don't buy a dog, especially at Christmas). Nor would the caged dogs awaiting a clubbing on the head, then blowtorched to remove hair before being killed for human consumption.
    Ducks and geese would no longer be terrified and exhausted after many weeks of continued desperate gavaging to make foie gras from their bloated livers. The process has been compared to torture in Brazil. Even in the high welfare use ( not all instances) of the practice in France birds are left terrified of the farmer, panting, damaged throats and unable to move as their oversized liver pushes against other organs.
    Bears in cages in China lying on their sides with their gallbladders cathetered for bile would stop.
    Male calves generally useless to the industry wouldn't be killed ( methods including plastic bags and lump hammers have been noted in Ireland ) nor transported long distances to be fattened for veal in confinement.
    Animals wouldn't be transported from temperate climates to hot climates, especially in Summer or to countries experiencing heatwaves.
    Animals would not be sent to countries which have basically no animal welfare guidelines: take Irish cattle sent to Libya for example where it's been reported were beaten, stabbed and dragged by the eye sockets. An Irish man or woman with the backing of the Irish government sent them to that fate.

What would happen to farmed animals if the World went vegan tomorrow? Well the above listed would not happen to them anymore.
    A vegan world would see these extreme acts confined to history.

And that's mostly only if people went plant-based. To go truly vegan there would be no more...

Badger baiting, or killing badgers in case they might have TB
    Poisoning of raptors and other predators
    Fox hunting
    Hare coursing
    Trophy hunting
    Hunting for no reason whatsoever other than to take an innocent life
    Absolutely raping the seas of fish and actually leaving a food source for other marine life
    Whaling for 'research purposes' or mass killing of whales for 'traditional' reasons
    Shark finning - absolutely barbaric practice
    No more wet markets, and the risks that are associated with them
    Fur farming and killing wild animals for their fur

It's actually truly depressing just how we as a species treat the other animals that are trying to share the planet with us. Farming is only a part of it. I will never apologise for being vegan.....never.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement