Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing a single light switch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

DRice wrote: »
    Yes. I forgot about that. The fan can also be turned off completely off a different switch that is set to turned off currently. We turned it off as it was too noisy when the baby was sleeping. I guess i better check if the fan ia still working properly? Maybe thats what the other darker wire does when the other switch is set to on?

Fan doesnt work now

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭POBox19

How many Boards posts does it take to change a light switch? Lots it would appear, especially when it is actually more than a light switch.
    I’d seriously suggest that you engage an electrician to replace the switch and extractor fan at the same time. It may cost a few euro now, but could save you big in the longer run.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

POBox19 wrote: »
    How many Boards posts does it take to change a light switch? Lots it would appear, especially when it is actually more than a light switch.
    I’d seriously suggest that you engage an electrician to replace the switch and extractor fan at the same time. It may cost a few euro now, but could save you big in the longer run.
    You thinking my new switch is inadequate to do the job that the old one did? The old switch was just a simple switch with L1 , L2 (not used) and com and it worked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Because it's absolute rubbish now - but you'll still pay a premium for it. My wholesaler stopped stocking it over a decade ago due to all the returns.

What brand are you using for white and metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭POBox19

DRice wrote: »
    You thinking my new switch is inadequate to do the job that the old one did? The old switch was just a simple switch with L1 , L2 (not used) and com and it worked?

I'm sure the switch you got would be fine for a light. It's just that it is being asked to do more than just turn on a light. The fan in the toilet should work too.
    Normally a light switch would have three/four wires coming into it, you're photo shows eleven, if I even counted them all.
    I suggested an electrician because there's a lot more going on in that wall than just a simple light switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can you describe the sets of cables you have.

It looks like you have:
    4 core (fan) L and L' to be connected

There are 3 browns (L) coming from the grey flat cables:
    Are these
    Two sets of 3-core (Brown/Blue/Green+Yellow- or bare) - I can only see 2 earth cables going into the terminal block.
    One set of 2-core (Brown/Blue)

Blues (Neutral) and Green+Yellow/Bare (Earth) are sorted. We just need to know what the grey cabling consists of.

If so, the 3-core will be the main circuit feed into the switch and out and onto the next switch on circuit.
    The 2-core will be the switched power to the lamp unit.

Can you confirm that there is an isolator switch for your fan unit?

Advertisement