Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where Is George Gibney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Very disappointing this week. What reaction did they really expect, the surprise at Gibney's lack of engagement sounds very odd and seems like a bit of mock drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

patob wrote: »
    Very disappointing this week. What reaction did they really expect, the surprise at Gibney's lack of engagement sounds very odd and seems like a bit of mock drama.

Yeah I agree with that. It really was a damp squib. Probably would have been better pitching the podcast as simply giving the victims a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

patob wrote: »

Yes, I guess it has been a success as in they have put the events back into the public consciousness but not successful in terms of journalistic rigour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Obrieski wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more with this post.

I have no recollection of ever hearing the name George Gibney ( in my late 20s) so hearing all this for the first time is so despicable to think about what this mad did, and got away with

The story was never out of the papers during the mid nineties. And then, with his disappearance it kind of went away. I found some of the stories of his victims incredibly difficult to listen to. It’s appalling to think that he got away with what he did, at a time in the not too distant past. At the very least it has given a platform to his victims to vocalise the pain and suffering he has caused to so many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Daisy78 wrote: »
    The story was never out of the papers during the mid nineties. And then, with his disappearance it kind of went away. I found some of the stories of his victims incredibly difficult to listen to. It’s appalling to think that he got away with what he did, at a time in the not too distant past. At the very least it has given a platform to his victims to vocalise the pain and suffering he has caused to so many people.

For those who hadn't been aware of this story and other scandals associated, it would be worthwhile to look up another coach-Frank McCann. He burned his house down with his wife and daughter in it. Shocking stuff. Mentioned in the podcast.

https://magill.ie/archive/esther-was-murdered-save-franks-image

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/man-who-murdered-his-wife-and-toddler-daughter-gets-day-release-from-prison-to-attend-college-38163541.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Damp squib is actually too soft a term to use for this podcast. I think the most ridiculous point for me was where Mark Horgan was winding back the tape to see if George Gibney may have uttered even one single word, one morsel of new data, one single quote which he could then have put in large font on the top of his newspaper article.

All of the charade with the "car chase" scenes was a waste of time I found to be something of a ruse. And very inappropriate given the serious nature of the topic. The interviews were quite good, albeit going over old ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

radharc wrote: »
    I certainly never expected that Gibney would open up, regardless of the approach taken by the guys.

But it does make all the fluff around the stakeout over the past eight episodes a little more frustrating, now that we know there was no payoff in the end.

They learned he was working in a hospice, where very vulnerable people reside, from their stakeout so that was something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

For those who hadn't been aware of this story and other scandals associated, it would be worthwhile to look up another coach-Frank McCann. He burned his house down with his wife and daughter in it. Shocking stuff.

https://magill.ie/archive/esther-was-murdered-save-franks-image

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/man-who-murdered-his-wife-and-toddler-daughter-gets-day-release-from-prison-to-attend-college-38163541.html

Gibney was never tried and this guy only got 25 years for the double murder of his wife and child.
    Our justice system is a joke.

I found it very odd that for all the thinking that they put in to the eventual confrontation, that they thought it was a good idea for him to say "I'm a journalist with the BBC". He was going to go running either way probably, but you can be sure he was going to head for the hills when the letters BBC were mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I found it very odd that for all the thinking that they put in to the eventual confrontation, that they thought it was a good idea for him to say "I'm a journalist with the BBC". He was going to go running either way probably, but you can be sure he was going to head for the hills when the letters BBC were mentioned.

Not really about the podcast, but I find it so confusing that someone that's so religious could even contemplate committing such horrific acts. How does such a monster even compartmentalise that? I know all about the Catholic church scandals obviously, but I always just presumed those offenders sought out priesthood for opportunistic reasons. Would be fascinated to know if he thinks he's a good person with his volunteer work in the hospice and going to mass every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I found the eventual 'confrontation' very weak really. It reminded me of Charlie Bird's feeble approach to David Drumm in the U.S. years ago.

I found the eventual 'confrontation' very weak really. It reminded me of Charlie Bird's feeble approach to David Drumm in the U.S. years ago.

In fairness at least there was a few words exchanged between Bird and Drumm.

Gibney didn't even squeeze a fart out during "the discussion".

Gave them absolutely nothing.

No episode today? Have they given up on the series same as the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Think the next one is scheduled for December, perhaps they are hoping more people will come forward to talk to them in the next couple of weeks after hearing the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

It was announced at end of last episode that there is a break. I think two further episodes dealing with victims stories and maybe some date in December for broadcast?

Thank you - I must have missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cisco92

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I love it - almost an underwater sound to it, blended with nursery rhyme vibes - it's very fitting for the show. It was also specially written and composed for the show by Aaron Dessner of The National.

The soundtrack for this podcast - very similar to what's used at the end of the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on Jimmy Connor's unlikely run in the 1991 US Tennis open

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film/_/page/thisiswhattheywant

At the end of the doc Connors reminisces on an empty court about '91 - the music for me is almost identical !
    ( For what its worth - one of the best sports documentaries ever made - you don't have to like tennis to enjoy it )

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cisco92

This is very a very well laid out chronology of events over the years.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/04/29/unreasonable-delay/

from the podcast - that John Mullins - Gibney's assistant coach at Trojans for 8 years knew nothing of the abuse - its a possibility - but is in my opinion stretching it.

Its incredible that Swim Ireland were unaware either of Mullin's close association with or posting bail for Gibney.

Oct 8, 2020
    “Swim Ireland confirms that John Mullins tendered his resignation from the Swim Ireland Board on Thursday 1st of October. The Board has accepted his resignation following deep concern expressed by the Board and Executive over the content of his contribution in a recent podcast, which was not previously known to the Board or Executive of Swim Ireland.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just hearing on Radio One that two more women (from different countries) have come forward to make abuse allegations against Gibney and the Gardaí are now investigating these cases.

This came about from these women listening to the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Did people listen to the second captains follow up episode a few weeks ago?

What I found interesting was that basically they did the attempted gibney doorstep first and after that did all the other interviews with the victims etc.

Their justification was they didn't want getting out that they were doing the show which might filter out to gibney.

That made sense but I think the premise of the show was a bit disingenuous that all along it was very much being played as they were in the hunt for gibney and collecting info along the way but in reality it sounds more like they found him pretty easily, that didn't go well and then went down another road of talking to the victims and giving them a story.

I thought the show was good but do think they over egged the gibney search part significantly

• Advertisement

What I found interesting was that basically they did the attempted gibney doorstep first and after that did all the other interviews with the victims etc.

Their justification was they didn't want getting out that they were doing the show which might filter out to gibney.

That made sense but I think the premise of the show was a bit disingenuous that all along it was very much being played as they were in the hunt for gibney and collecting info along the way but in reality it sounds more like they found him pretty easily, that didn't go well and then went down another road of talking to the victims and giving them a story.

I thought the show was good but do think they over egged the gibney search part significantly

not surprised at all really

the narrative structure for these types of podcasts is planned out in advance obviously

the whole keystone-cops Gibney "search" didn't work that well at all but I can see why they did it - to try to add some drama and "what is going to happen" element to the historical part of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think they were glad they did it that way from listening to them. Mark in particular said his reaction was tempered a little by not having met any of the victims at that point. I think it was well known he was in Florida from listening to a few interviews in recent times but not his location or place of work etc. Was a bit dramatised but the way it was done has shone a light and *may* bring the bollocks to some justice finally

BPKS wrote: »
    Just hearing on Radio One that two more women (from different countries) have come forward to make abuse allegations against Gibney and the Gardaí are now investigating these cases. This came about from these women listening to the podcast.

Yeah I think the podcast certainly did some service, and the interviews with the victims was the most important part. But the whole thing was cheapened by the Miami Vice car chase and confrontation nonsense. Gibney was never going to say anything, and he was never going to give them an interview. They would have been better off leaving any confrontation until they had some powder in their gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Next episode to be broadcast tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I wonder who Gibneys supportive buddy is? They guy he lives with and was in the car with. Is he Irish? Does he know if Gibneys past, is he himself a predator or indeed a victim? Gibney is not the type of company anyone normal would want to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Still Ill

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I wonder who Gibneys supportive buddy is? They guy he lives with and was in the car with. Is he Irish? Does he know if Gibneys past, is he himself a predator or indeed a victim? Gibney is not the type of company anyone normal would want to keep.

Yeah, I mentioned it before here that I found it strange they never delved into that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Still Ill wrote: »
    Yeah, I mentioned it before here that I found it strange they never delved into that at all.

I forgot you mentioned that actually, sorry. I'm guessing they can't name him, he's doing nothing wrong. The company he chooses is definitely weird, hopefully he's not one of Gibneys victims still under his influence.

Still Ill wrote: »

Yeah I never even thought of that either. Seems to play more of a bodyguard / personal security role than anything else.

Crazy how pedos like Gibney were able to effectively get away with this depraved behaviour back in the day.

What number of those (then) children were unable to have normal lives after encountering this scumbag?

You'd have to hope that there is no way that this could happen today.

Although these sickos are everywhere

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I’ve a slightly different take on the Florida stakeout stuff and the confrontation, I too found it hugely frustrating when in the end all they got was silence-no answers, no moral victory but this parallels the experience of the victims exactly (but magnify those feels of fustration, disapontment and anger by a thousand!) this is a glimpse into the limbo they’ve been stuck in.

I’ve read 18 new victims have come forward, you have to give them the credit for that.

Advertisement