Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a smart trainer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I regularly do 2 hours as part of my TrainerRoad plan, and first lockdown regularly did some of the endurance rides/ events/ gran fondos on zwift that were 3 hours plus.

Having said that, I had no motivation for those events after doing the Team Ireland race on Friday evening last weekend, and struggling to see when I'll ever be bothered for my my "missing" route badges of the the mega pretzel and the PRL routes. I have zero motivation for those at the moment, especially the PRL Full.

I think the turbo is one of those things you either have the head for, or not. I found doing workouts outside more boring than the turbo tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Turbo sessions are all about structure of the time on it. 3 x 20 mins tempo with cadence work & 8 mins recovery between each then add in warm up and cool down gives you a good session.
    Never sit on it just for 2 hrs with no plan or you'll crack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Hello again good people....

Set up the kickr core and gave it a go, happy days... Sort of thought a Zwift code would be in the box but oh well.... Netflix it was...

I'm now back in the house, the kickr is unplugged in the shed, and my phone has been searching for it for about an hour now.... Bluetooth scanning.... This has never happened me before with any number of different Bluetooth devices I have currently paired... So I think its the kickr app rather than my phone.

Anyone encountered this and know how to switch it off??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think I got the month of zwift when I connected the core to the app. Zwift gives you a few free km and then you can add on 30 days with your wahoo, can't remember the process but I think I had to go on the wahoo site.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Wahoo sends a load of codes for the various partner apps when you register the device. Think I got on month free on each of Trainerroad, Zwift, Sufferfest and Rouvy.

• Advertisement

Yeah registered the device via the app yesterday but no codes yet, I'll wait a bit. A Google search suggests it is common enough and some people don't get codes and have to contact wahoo.

Was just curious is anyone else having a problem whereby (presumably) the wahoo app is forcing my phones Bluetooth to constantly search and try and connect to the kickr?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

To be honest I don't use the Wahoo app very often - just used it to register the device. All the other apps can connect to the trainer natively so no need for the wahoo app. This includes when doing a calibration spin. I know Wahoo bought the Sufferfest last year so over time we might see this one integrated into the Wahoo app - but I'm only surmising.

Should the Kickr Core be left powered on permanently?

dahat wrote: »
    Should the Kickr Core be left powered on permanently?

I wouldn't say so, part of its selling point is that it is easy to fold up and put away.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so, part of its selling point is that it is easy to fold up and put away.

Perfect, thanks.

• Advertisement

It probably goes to sleep if left plugged in? My original Hammer does anyway.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It probably goes to sleep if left plugged in? My original Hammer does anyway.

You imagine so by I'm just wary of power spikes etc.

You imagine so by I'm just wary of power spikes etc.
    I switch off at the socket on mine anyway. Partly due to my botch job electrical set up where I have it!

Safety first n all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I've got a Tacx Neo. It's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Anyone get a reconditioned Wahoo Kickr or core?
    Any negatives to getting one?

I'd previously asked about codes.... Just to update...

Contacted wahoo and they said codes are provided automatically, once per week (Mondays) and to wait... The Monday came and went but no codes, contacted them again and they sent me the codes after a few days, codes for strava, zwift, Rouvy, suffer fest and 3 or 4 others I hadn't heard of.

Another question....

I've the fan set up but still have never sweated anything like this in my life....

Currently washing my asos bibs 3 times a week (after each use), so I'm assuming this will affect their longevity.... Anyone recommend a cheap pair of bibs for the trainer? Also anyone train in just the bibs? I'm wearing a Jersey too but really not sure what purpose it serves, might try without...

Thanks for all the tips so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭joey100

What fan are you using??

Get yourself something like this,

https://powercity.ie/product/207684

I use two at the moment and it's great, very little sweat at all.

Air movers get good reviews too, think Cleva might be a brand that sell them, move much more air than a fan. Think usually used by painter decorators so hardware shop might be best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Currently washing my asos bibs 3 times a week (after each use), so I'm assuming this will affect their longevity.... Anyone recommend a cheap pair of bibs for the trainer? Also anyone train in just the bibs?

Do you need to wear padded shorts at all? I don't use zwift. How long is a typical session? I've been using a turbo for years with unpadded shorts, with a typical session about ah hour in duration, so pads not required. Toughens up your derriere too. You can buy a pile of unpadded shorts (any old things), and fire them into the wash repeatedly till they disintegrate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

outfox wrote: »
    Do you need to wear padded shorts at all? I don't use zwift. How long is a typical session? I've been using a turbo for years with unpadded shorts, with a typical session about ah hour in duration, so pads not required. Toughens up your derriere too. You can buy a pile of unpadded shorts (any old things), and fire them into the wash repeatedly till they disintegrate.

Indoor training is much harder on your behind than riding out on the road.
    I keep my best shorts for rollers. You're not out of the saddle as much as you would be on the road or track, and you're working at a higher intensity.
    Sports pursuit have good shorts on sale often, I like Rivelo shorts.

• Advertisement

I've the fan set up but still have never sweated anything like this in my life....

Currently washing my asos bibs 3 times a week (after each use), so I'm assuming this will affect their longevity.... Anyone recommend a cheap pair of bibs for the trainer? Also anyone train in just the bibs? I'm wearing a Jersey too but really not sure what purpose it serves, might try without...

Any major online retailer will have own brand stuff that will do the job like DHB with Wiggle etc. Personally I'd stick with what you are using as, no different than outside cycling, I would want what I am comfy with but a total personal choice. 3 times a week, just use short cold washes, non bio, I can't see it shortening the life span that much unless you don't wear them much at all.
    If you need pads outdoors, you need them indoors IMO.

The horror of this!!!

Plenty get away without padded shorts but most need them really. The turbo itself means a long time in the same position so a decent chamois plus cream is generally needed.

OP, if you can afford to get new pairs of Asoss do but if not the Galibier range of bibs is very good value.

Haven't used cream myself for years but I did used to need it. I once got a golf ball size thing full of pus coming out of my gouch, which I lanced my self and couldn't sit right for awhile. I appreciated the anti bacterial properties of the cream after that till that area became more robust to friction.

Oh I definitely need the pad, I need them out on the road but even more so on the trainer. As others have said there, I find it more intense than regular outdoor spin and working myself a bit harder.

The horror of this!!!

OP, if you can afford to get new pairs of Asoss do but if not the Galibier range of bins is very good value.

Yeah I've picked up a few galibier bits recently and they've been decent, don't know why I didmt think of them, will give this a go

CramCycle wrote: »
    Any major online retailer will have own brand stuff that will do the job like DHB with Wiggle etc. Personally I'd stick with what you are using as, no different than outside cycling, I would want what I am comfy with but a total personal choice. 3 times a week, just use short cold washes, non bio, I can't see it shortening the life span that much unless you don't wear them much at all.

If you need pads outdoors, you need them indoors IMO.

I've a few bib tights and jackets from dhb.

Anyone tried le col? Never heard of them until recently, I think they are partnered with wahoo, I'm certainly getting some kind of marketing push towards them anyway, discounts by email etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I'd previously asked about codes.... Just to update...

Contacted wahoo and they said codes are provided automatically, once per week (Mondays) and to wait... The Monday came and went but no codes, contacted them again and they sent me the codes after a few days, codes for strava, zwift, Rouvy, suffer fest and 3 or 4 others I hadn't heard of.

Another question....

Ah here just buy cheap ones off aliexpress 15 dollars like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

I've a few bib tights and jackets from dhb.

Anyone tried le col? Never heard of them until recently, I think they are partnered with wahoo, I'm certainly getting some kind of marketing push towards them anyway, discounts by email etc

Looks ok, easy to get discount via a Strava achievement but too pricey for me even with the discount.

Would rather pearl izumi or sugoi gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

Anyone using the Elite Qubo B+ (catchy name).

My dumb turbo bearings died and santa has come early for me.

Anything I need to know about this one?

• Advertisement

Do you need to wear padded shorts at all? I don't use zwift.
    The usual advice is to use your best shorts on the turbo!

I sometimes do half an hour 50% of ftp without shorts, but that'd be it. And that's with a rocker plate.

I use my best shorts for intense workouts/ longer sessions. Easier stuff I use older ones. Part of that is probably mental too - I don't want any excuses for VO2 Max or over/ unders!

I wash my shorts every time I use them - I sweat far more, everywhere, inside than outside. With much less circulation. Less inconvenient washing them than the inconvenience of a saddle sore.

1 pair of "good" galibier shorts are showing wear, but I can't tie that down to the turbo - they're a few years old, and have put in a couple of seasons are my "go to" shorts outside too. If you were wearing them on weekend spin, they'd go in the wash every week (between Galibier, club, "commuter" I've enough shorts that they normally only get worn once a week).

Advertisement