Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus and licence applications

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Never had a visit from CPO (yet).

Is CPO visitor usually a different person to what we call FO?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Never had a visit from CPO (yet).

Is CPO visitor usually a different person to what we call FO?

Yep. Different person. A CPO is a designated role in the Gardai. Funny enough but the FO isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Our local Garda is also the FO for the large nearby town and district. I don't know if he is the CPO as well but he could be as he has given talks at schools.

He called to check my safe after my first application and then when I applied for my second deer rifle I told him I had a new safe as well so he called up to check that too. I told him what room it was in and gave him a few minutes but to my delight he couldn't find it and had to ask me where it was.

In fairness I think they only call to check so they can reassure the Super that they have done so and try and make the application go as smoothly as possible, that's the impression I got anyway.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

GolfVI wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, heres me thinking id have the license in the door sometime this week, another delay unfortunately

I had two visits in 12 months:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭no_4

Thanks so much guys
    Cass wrote: »
    Yes. Every gun needs a new application.

Hopefully not as your previous background checks will stand to future applications.

The secure accomodations SI states the minimum conditions. This is important because the Super could demand you have level four security for a single shotgun if s/he deems it necessary.

However as minimums they are all you need i order to comply with the SI and any further security features above those miniums will be subject to the criteria laid out by your Super.

The SI as it stands says:
    • One non-restricted shot-gun - The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    • One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms - Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    • Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. - Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    • Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. - In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána.The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

Yes.

If you go for the second firearm you'll need the safe and that is the minimum requirement needed. However as said above the Super may deem your neighbourhood to be unsafe or some other factor and demand a higher level of security however you do nothing bar the minimum until the Super says different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

ZiabR wrote: »
    Submitted a Sub application for a new Rizzini this morning. Lets see how long it takes...

Licence arrived this morning, exactly 2 weeks to the day. Never have I had a substitution complete so fast. Last time I was waiting 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,700 ✭✭✭omega man

Licence arrived this morning, exactly 2 weeks to the day. Never have I had a substitution complete so fast. Last time I was waiting 9 weeks.

My first licence application took 2 weeks (in August) also after been told to expect anywhere up to 12 weeks.

omega man wrote: »
    My first licence application took 2 weeks (in August) also after been told to expect anywhere up to 12 weeks.

I’m still waiting 10 weeks on for a sub :(

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Sent my first application in 6 weeks ago and had the firearms officer out 2 weeks ago to check the safe,still no licence yet,what exactly does the firearms officer do,does he do all the checks and just get the super to sign it off ?

markc2951 wrote: »
    Sent my first application in 6 weeks ago and had the firearms officer out 2 weeks ago to check the safe,still no licence yet,what exactly does the firearms officer do,does he do all the checks and just get the super to sign it off ?

Never heard of the FO checking a safe, it's usually the CPO. That said, they prepare a report for the Superintendent to say if you comply with the safe storage requirements.

I'd be willing to bet a fiver that your grant letter won't be too far behind. If they weren't going to give you a licence, they propbably wouldn't bother sending out the FO/CPO. It's just a waiting game I'm afraid.

Regarding your question, the FO inputs the details of your application onto the Pulse system. All the Super has to do is review your details and make a decision on whether or not to grant the licence.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Never heard of the FO checking a safe, it's usually the CPO. That said, they prepare a report for the Superintendent to say if you comply with the safe storage requirements.

I'd be willing to bet a fiver that your grant letter won't be too far behind. If they weren't going to give you a licence, they propbably wouldn't bother sending out the FO/CPO. It's just a waiting game I'm afraid.

Regarding your question, the FO inputs the details of your application onto the Pulse system. All the Super has to do is review your details and make a decision on whether or not to grant the licence.

Does the Super always make the decision or is that authority sometimes “delegated” (in practice) to FO?

FO previously implied that he will decide on the grant....

BattleCorp wrote: »

Well in my village we have one part time guard whos super is in a nearby town (trim) so I'd say our guard covers the fo/cpo amongst a lot of other things I'd imagine,but yeah hopefully I will get the grant letter soon

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Does the Super always make the decision or is that authority sometimes “delegated” (in practice) to FO?

FO previously implied that he will decide on the grant....

FO can advise the Super/Chief Super but he/she can't grant the licence. They can cause you problems though by telling the Super that you an unsuitable candidate for a licence. It's up to the Super/Chief Super if they take them at their word or not.

By law I think it has to be a Super/Chief Super to issue a licence but I think it can be delegated to an Inspector. Won't swear on that but I've gotten letters from an Inspector regarding firearms in the past.

Update:I have a face to face meeting with the super in the morning,let's see how that goes

Update:I have a face to face meeting with the super in the morning,let's see how that goes

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Gone into my 8th week for a substitution, only to be contacted today and told i have to fill out a new application because i cant swap a .223 for a 6.5 creedmoor.. bolt bolt actions, both used for target shooting.

Gone into my 8th week for a substitution, only to be contacted today and told i have to fill out a new application because i cant swap a .223 for a 6.5 creedmoor.. bolt bolt actions, both used for target shooting.

Plenty of districts would allow that substitution as it's one unrestricted calibre for another.

I got refused a substitution of a .22 for a .270 after waiting a good while, was told it would have to be like for like as in the same caliber or changing to a lower one.

Already had a .308 at the time but that made no odds, got it afterwards on a fresh application.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Strange that, I done that same substitution at the start of the year, had it back in about 3 weeks, no questions asked.
    Just goes to prove the "we make it up as we like" laws here, no consistency at all.

I had a meeting with the super on wednesday and she signed it off with no issues,so I'm just waiting for the grant letter to pay the fee and maybe the firearm dealer might release the gun with the letter and receipt as I cant wait much longer,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I had a meeting with the super on wednesday and she signed it off with no issues,so I'm just waiting for the grant letter to pay the fee and maybe the firearm dealer might release the gun with the letter and receipt as I cant wait much longer,

No, RFD will not and should not release a firearm with a letter and a receipt. Once you pay your licence fee you will have it in the post in 3-4 days tops. You will just have to wait for the licence to arrive. Why take ANY shortcuts or risks after waiting so long to be approved?

No, RFD will not and should not release a firearm with a letter and a receipt. Once you pay your licence fee you will have it in the post in 3-4 days tops. You will just have to wait for the licence to arrive. Why take ANY shortcuts or risks after waiting so long to be approved?

Very true,how long should I wait to apply for a rifle licence via a target shooting club as this was a first licence for a shotgun ?

Very true,how long should I wait to apply for a rifle licence via a target shooting club as this was a first licence for a shotgun ?

Nothing stopping you from applying straight away.

8 months licence back finally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

8 months licence back finally

Well done for holding out. Its painful I know.

Mech1 wrote: »
    Well done for holding out. Its painful I know.

You're not the only one.

I was actually quite disappointed I didn't get to take them to court to be honest :-)
    Was so clear cut I couldve paid the 23 euro stamp and brought them myself

I was actually quite disappointed I didn't get to take them to court to be honest :-)
    Was so clear cut I couldve paid the 23 euro stamp and brought them myself

What is the process for instigating court proceeding?

What are the grounds/argument for a case?

Does CV19 not trump all arguments these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Depends on what grounds you were refused on.
    1] Contact a solicitor

[2] Sign away the soul of your first born and bank account ,on a document smelling very much of sulpher! with your blood to a solicitor who oddly keeps his hat on in the office,and has rather goatish facial features :)

3] Let Mr "Louis Sipher" solicitor, write to the Super first off pointing out the situation and that he is wrong on XYZ points,and to be a good fellow and reconsider ias we all dont want a day in court?And he has X number of days to respond

4] If no response, your solr will file a district court summons with the district court clerk,giving the reasons of the case.This enters the complaint into the system and activates it as a ligitimate court case.
    Now, this in itself has been known occasionaly,to cause "reconsiderations" or "lost" liscenses to be suddenly "found" and issued promptly. You can actually file this paperwork yourself as a citizen.BUT I wouldnt recommend it,as you need to have all your I's dotted and T's crossed,as the opposing side will fine tooth comb it and if they find anything out,you are goosed from the word go. So its better to swallow the 70 quid and let a pro do it.

5] The court should inform both parties of a date that the case will be heard,and a summons should be issued to the Super.Which he will stick with all the other summonses,as it is normal paperwork and part of the job for them to be in the court room on different cases.

6] Then its up to the Gods after that. Your case can be delayed,put back because either side wants this or that witness,paperwork, one or the other party is absent or 1000 of other excuses or problems. Alot of it is legal manouvering from both sides to get a more sympathetic judge or whatever.Its like a 3D poker game,as there will be alot of manouverings going on,that can build to a cesecendo on the day of the court at the door of the court .Its nerve wracking,as you are building yourself up for the day,and then be told it will be heard in maybe 12 weeks,or longer. It really is the "Ultima Ratio"[final option /arguement] to go this route.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

First time applicant applying for a pump action shotgun sent in end of July. Safe checked last week, met super today signed off no issue.

Advertisement