Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

They we skipping the queue to turn down the road I just came from. It's not a normal rat run either as he/she would have past a better road to turn left at just a few hundred meters back.

I'm not even shocked at these anymore. It more more a case of "Great! another idiot in a car trying to kill me when I'm just trying to get to work. I wonder how long on till the next idiot."

I was not disappointed, the next idiot trying to kill someone was only 10 minutes later. I'll upload that clip in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Yes, but what the hell were they doing???? :D

Fcuking arseholes. Ridiculous move.

Regular occurrence here also.

Drive here most days and the amount of times I've nearly seen a cyclist coming up the inside almost getting wiped out by a moron doing the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kander wrote: »
    This mornings fun: https://streamable.com/zczps

If anyone is asking why it looks like i stopped in the lane, it's an up hill road and i braked initially. I had a foot on the ground

When I come across an oncoming driver on my side of the road, usually because they've decided to overtake a parked car regardless of the cyclist coming at them, I usually try to stop in my position, so it is absolutely clear to them that I'm not moving. Let a stand off build up for 15-30 seconds until the driver works out that their 'short cut' has cost them more time than being a little patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The one time I made a report to Traffic watch/garda statement was after witnessing a taxi driver doing a similar thing. Except when he got to the top of the queue he was overtaking, he was left facing a red light on the wrong side of the road. So he ended up barging through the red light, narrowly missing some pedestrians that were crossing and forcing a couple of cars who were passing through the junction at the time to make evasive manoeuvres.

This mornings fun: https://streamable.com/zczps

This second clip was five minutes after the one above. The truck ran the yellow by about 2 seconds, which was to be expected. As the truck was going slow the pedestrian light was green by the time it passed through. As I was pushing off que the idiot in the car behind running the red.

https://streamable.com/pkfvu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This second clip was five minutes after the one above. The truck ran the yellow by about 2 seconds, which was to be expected. As the truck was going slow the pedestrian light was green by the time it passed through. As I was pushing off que the idiot in the car behind running the red.

Red lights are the new amber, didn't you get the memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The devil on my shoulder would have loved for that to have been a van or something meeting him so he couldn't get by and refusing to budge for him :D

My shoulder devil must be more of a cnut than yours - Mine was hoping for him to meet a nice sturdy truck that would crumple his bonnet and engine in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Not a near miss or my story but told of this feature on Joe Duffy yesterday:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058033834&page=7
    Cyclist assaulted for the second time by feral kids throwing rocks at cyclists by Cappagh Hospital in Finglas. Apparently it's a well known no-go area for cyclists with stone being flung from nearly halting sites and guard taking a blind eye under the guise of lack of resources. Jees, it’s bad enough on the bike with lunatic drivers besides being set up by armed scumbags, needs to be a serious overhaul of the judicial system and a real hard line response taken on repeat offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I've a crossing like this near my house where you can guarantee one or two cars will break the very stale red. No idea why, theres a long lead-up to it but it's without fail, every single time. Its nice trying to teach a 4 year old to wait for the green man, but then also wait for cnuts to stop as well.

I've been very tempted to push my bike out in front of one of these due to downright frustration to teach them a lesson, but then I'd have no bike. They'll catch me on a bad day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was driving yesterday, stopped at a red light, it was amber on approach and red when I got there. 6 cars ran it, all of whom arrived after me. Nobody ****ign cares anymore..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nobody ****ign cares anymore..
    In fairness, some of us do.
    But because there is effectively no enforcement of our traffic laws, a large number of drivers know that they will get away with whatever infringement they make.
    So they make that infringment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

There was a car after rear ending another car quite badly at the bottom of Bridge St Lower, at the junction with the quays, at about 8.30 this morning, in one of the lanes for proceeding across the Liffey. The first car was stopped at the stop line for the lights and I can only assume the second guy thought the first guy was going to run the amber/red and sped up. It was causing mayhem for cars right back to Christchurch. Lollipop ladies and kids meandering around the traffic etc.

Pure speculation on my part. Anyone happen to witness it?

I've been very tempted to push my bike out in front of one of these due to downright frustration to teach them a lesson, but then I'd have no bike. They'll catch me on a bad day.

Haha I've been tempted to get the cheapest heaviest bike shaped object and do just that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Haha I've been tempted to get the cheapest heaviest bike shaped object and do just that as well.
    I'd like to put a doll in a child's buggy and push it out in front of them. Scare the living daylights out of them.

...until they swerve into someone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

...until they swerve into someone :(

Thats if they even noticed...

I'd like to put a doll in a child's buggy and push it out in front of them. Scare the living daylights out of them.

Great idea

Last night doing 60kmph in the bus lane, in fact I had to ease up as I was catching the bus in front. Guy pulls in behind me and just loses his sh1t. Lays on the horn, flashing lights, wildly gesticulating at the bike lane. To be clear, there is a bus a few metres in front of me, I am doing the speed limit for motor vehicles, and this guy believes I am obstructing him.

After a few 100m, I just give up, indicate I am slowing and do a dead stop. We are in a bus lane and he is still not near the next turn. Needless to say, he did not take this well, he then went to go round me and I laughed at him.and stupidly blocked him.

Eventually I left, he went round, I overtook him before the next turn. There was a lovely Garda there, happy to have the footage sent on and take a statement. Apparently he had got a warning for mobile use the day before, and this time drove through the junction as the Garda waved him down.

That man is getting alot of FPNs and possibly a court date.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Last night doing 60kmph in the bus lane, in fact I had to ease up as I was catching the bus in front. Guy pulls in behind me and just loses his sh1t. Lays on the horn, flashing lights, wildly gesticulating at the bike lane. To be clear, there is a bus a few metres in front of me, I am doing the speed limit for motor vehicles, and this guy believes I am obstructing him.

After a few 100m, I just give up, indicate I am slowing and do a dead stop. We are in a bus lane and he is still not near the next turn. Needless to say, he did not take this well, he then went to go round me and I laughed at him.and stupidly blocked him.

Eventually I left, he went round, I overtook him before the next turn. There was a lovely Garda there, happy to have the footage sent on and take a statement. Apparently he had got a warning for mobile use the day before, and this time drove through the junction as the Garda waved him down.

That man is getting alot of FPNs and possibly a court date.
    You could sell tickets here for that Court sitting.

You could sell tickets here for that Court sitting.

Even funnier is that it turns out to be the same guy from a few pages back who I seen watching videos going through the junction. Garda asked me to send on the video.

• Advertisement

Not quite a near miss but a stupid overtake attempt...

It was on the N4 this morning about 7:30. Driver travelling illegally in the bus lane (with a convoy of other illegal drivers behing him) decides to attempt to overtake me despite it being blindingly obvious that he had no room (and it wasn't far to the Ballyowen Rd slip road).
    I decided to take it easy (whilst gesticulating towards the traffic lanes) until I got to the slip road.
    On the slip road he says to me that he thought he'd make it :rolleyes:
    Then told me that i should be in the cycle lane. I resoponded by saying how I can use the bus lane but he cannot.
    Meanwhile with the green light facing us, the driver behind was getting fed up and you can hear me telling him to calm down (or something to that effect!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Fair play to you it was intimidation like that finally made me snap and I no longer use the N4 despite it adding several kms to my commute. The last straw for me was a motor biker loosing it with me for being in the bus lane. I tried explaining it was legal for me to be here and he couldn't accept that kept pointing to the cycle lane full of leaves and then nearly giving me a heart attack with a punishment pass on the rev limiter a couple of minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It’s amazing the arrogance of drivers and motor bikers who think they’ve hid some right to use the bus lane illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I particularly dislike the idiots who absolutely bomb it in the short distance between each traffic light and rev their engines. One has to wonder at the intelligence level of these simpletons.

A large majority of them have to get serious injuries the way they drive their penile compensatory vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

As someone who bikes and motorbikes - I can't understand why a motorcyclists will ever get into an argument with a cyclist!

Both motorbikes and cycles have same sort of threats to deal with on the roads - cars, slippery surfaces, ice, frost, wet leaves, car drivers on phones rear ending you, changing lanes without looking etc etc... And a motorbike can squeeze past a cyclist on a bus lane even if the cyclist was riding in the middle of the lane (and most cyclists won't), so not sure why motorbiker would pick a fight with a cyclist. That must have been a particularly nasty dude on the motorbike.

PS: About motorcycles on the bus lane, while it's technically illegal, it's tolerated, I had had multiple occasions where Garda will stop the car behind me while letting me carry on riding on the bus lane. It's just much safer for motorbikes to be on bus lane than trying to filter between two opposing lanes of traffic.

positron wrote: »
    It's just much safer for motorbikes to be on bus lane than trying to filter between two opposing lanes of traffic.
    It's great that it's safer for motorcyclists. Fcuking delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's great that it's safer for motorcyclists. Fcuking delighted for you.

Ah here. As a cyclist, you think you'd understand bending some motorist-centric rules in the interest of personal safety. As long as they're being careful and not being dicks in the bus lanes, I'm okay with it.

Stark wrote: »
    Ah here. As a cyclist, you think you'd understand bending some motorist-centric rules in the interest of personal safety. As long as they're being careful and not being dicks in the bus lanes, I'm okay with it.
    Ah yeah, fair enough, but the problem is i've been skimmed a few times in the bus lane by jack asses flying it on motorbikes lately. The south quays in Dublin in particular seems to have some really unpleasant people on motorbikes. They'd literally drive on top of you to get by.

It is a rare day I have an issue with MBs. Typically considerate and give space all the time, the odd exception but typically I have more cars been dicks on a single commute than total MBers who pass me out.

• Advertisement

Same, in recent times since changing jobs I meet one guy occasionally who filters up and sits at the lights beside me and takes his time taking off on green so I get a head start on the traffic behind.

Like anything else though you get arseholes in all modes of transport

Advertisement