Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Demand Control Ventilation Galway

• 30-10-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Having trouble getting 1 quote, let alone 3. I would appreciate PMs for DCV installers in the Galway area. Tnx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Thanks for the PM, ROSSKI.

I also called Aereco and they gave me some names for local installers of DCV.

3 Quotes incoming.

If anyone else needs names, PM me.....happy you let you know about install quality etc, once the new system is in...

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

would be interested in quotes and whats been quoted for. thanks

Sure...once the quotes are in Ill give you more details.

Basically my requirement is an extract in the attic for four rooms (Bathroom & Ensuite upstairs, ducting down to kitchen & under stairs bathroom). Wall inlets in all 4 rooms upstairs. I also need all the holes put in the walls etc. There are no vents at the moment.

Im putting a stove into the downstairs living room, so I will have to have a permanent vent in there.

One thing I am not sure about, and maybe someone can confirm this.....If I have a stove with an independent air supply, does that mean that I can get a DCV in the stove room? i.e. a non permanemt vent.
    Or do you always need a permanent vent, regardless of independent air supply to the stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

One thing I am not sure about, and maybe someone can confirm this.....If I have a stove with an independent air supply, does that mean that I can get a DCV in the stove room? i.e. a non permanemt vent.
    Or do you always need a permanent vent, regardless of independent air supply to the stove?

:confused:
    What do you mean? Has the stove already got a permanent air supply ducted to it? If so, then you can ventilate the room space as any other room. But don't forget the CO alarm.

Just a note on DCV ventilation systems. If there are no existing wall or window vents, an approach is to retrofit a simpler (and cheaper) multi-room MEV system first. There is generally sufficient unintended air leakage paths present in the building already to supply external dry air into the building. If required later, the ducting infrastructure can always be reused for a DCV system upgrade.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    What do you mean? Has the stove already got a permanent air supply ducted to it? If so, then you can ventilate the room space as any other room. But don't forget the CO alarm.

Just a note on DCV ventilation systems. If there are no existing wall or window vents, an approach is to retrofit a simpler (and cheaper) multi-room MEV system first. There is generally sufficient unintended air leakage paths present in the building already to supply external dry air into the building. If required later, the ducting infrastructure can always be reused for a DCV system upgrade.

I don't have a stove already. I phrased it badly. I was considering getting a stove with an independent air supply, in order to accommodate a DCV wall inlet in the living room, and meet building regulations. You answered my question, thanks!

Some of the bedrooms are very stuffy in the mornings. Condensation on the windows etc. I think I need some class of ventilation in those rooms. I am getting the walls pumped, and attic done soon too, and have started to caulk and put expanding foam in/on everything else. I don't like the idea of background ventilation, after coming from previous accommodation with a constant draft.

All that said, I take your point about MEV, with the potential to upgrade to DCV later...I will consider that, its certainly a budget friendlier option!

• Advertisement

Hey, did you ever get your quotes back? cheers

I actually only received 1 back, and it was for PIV (€850) MEV (€1700), and MHRV (€5000). Turns out, after surveying the house, they don't do DCV, which was kind of frustrating.

The 2nd guys after eyeballing it, suggested in or around €3000. Awaiting confirmation on this.

No sign of the 3rd guy.

Right now, I have been advised to halt everything while I get some drawings down, so that is what I am doing

MicktheMan wrote: »

Hey Mick, just regarding your approach mentioned. Would that mean extract unit fitted in attic, ducts ran and installed to wetrooms and the at a later date add the humidity sensing wall vents as needed.

we are retrofiting a house with no wall/window vents but it is still draughty until downstairs is finished so it sound like a good approach

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gnr1983

Any update on your installation? Which option did you go for? Currently trying to decide what ventilation options for a renovation and bungalow extension. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gnr1983

Bump

• Advertisement

I bought this - https://www.bpcventilation.com/vent-axia-kinetic-advance-s.

Made the drawings in a program I found online. Sent them the drawings, and they sent back the design.

Bit of back and forth between the company and I (over design, and the different components - Standard vs. Premium). I was chatting to them via email over the course of the installation.

Its a radial duct system, with the premium ducting. I bought a core drill and made all the channels down through my walls/ceilings, which are open at the moment.

The system is not online yet, and my building has come to a halt, due to the pandemic. But its ready to go, as soon as the walls are closed up and plastered.

I got annoyed with trying to get quotes, so went for it myself.....glad I did now.

Advertisement