Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Black charlie

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They hadn’t won a Leinster title in fifty years and 1990 aside hadn’t even come close.

They had one Leinster club hurling title go to a Dublin club since 1970, no All Irelands.

This decade they have won a Leinster intercounty title, get Cunningham aside are very competitive against the best teams in the country and had a club win back to back All Irelands, albeit one with a few immigrants.

Saying Dublin hurling has not been transformed since funding massively jumped is really head in the sand stuff.

I agree and hurling is a very skillful game and so the jump in performance has been overall excellent.
    Also they drove tipp and Kilkenny close in early part of the decade. Two teams that included some of the best players to ever play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

It's not just the Dublin senior footballers though is it? If it was just them it could be explained away, it's women's football, men's hurling, club football and hurling, underage, basically, Dublin GAA has improved in all areas. This has happened at the same time that Dublin got a huge increase in funding. It can't be just a coincidence? I saw this table on another website, it's not very pretty but it shows the big improvements in Dublin GAA.

vhrhvc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I do not see any change in Dublin dominance. I would break Dublin into 2 for now and divide clubs fairly
    I think this could suit everyone including the dubs as there would probably be an all dub final almost immediately.

That final would be a killer for interest in football.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Dominance in sport is not rare. A great team always dominates for a spell. Nobody ever sees it ending, but it always does.

This is no different.

Gachla wrote: »
    It's not just the Dublin senior footballers though is it? If it was just them it could be explained away, it's women's football, men's hurling, club football and hurling, underage, basically, Dublin GAA has improved in all areas. This has happened at the same time that Dublin got a huge increase in funding. It can't be just a coincidence? I saw this table on another website, it's not very pretty but it shows the big improvements in Dublin

Of course it can be coincidence.
    Or it can be down to Dublin gaa getting their act together.
    Or it could be a bit of all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It's not just the Dublin senior footballers though is it? If it was just them it could be explained away, it's women's football, men's hurling, club football and hurling, underage, basically, Dublin GAA has improved in all areas. This has happened at the same time that Dublin got a huge increase in funding. It can't be just a coincidence? I saw this table on another website, it's not very pretty but it shows the big improvements in Dublin GAA.

vhrhvc.jpg

The title of the table will do nothing for you if you are trying to convince fans that are against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Dublin footballl is very dominant due to money and population.
    They are a complete professional setup
    Because it is a complete professional set up underage success means very little
    What matters is that young talent is identified and professionally managed into the senior set up.

There is no blaming Dublin football for what they have become - it is the natural progression of the game itself becoming more professional

I do not see any change in Dublin dominance. I would break Dublin into 2 for now and divide clubs fairly
    I think this could suit everyone including the dubs as there would probably be an all dub final almost immediately.

And the Hurlers are a bunch of amateur yahoos?

They hadn’t won a Leinster title in fifty years and 1990 aside hadn’t even come close.
    They had one Leinster club hurling title go to a Dublin club since 1970, no All Irelands.
    This decade they have won a Leinster intercounty title, get Cunningham aside are very competitive against the best teams in the country and had a club win back to back All Irelands, albeit one with a few immigrants.
    Saying Dublin hurling has not been transformed since funding massively jumped is really head in the sand stuff.

Hurling counties wax and wane. Look at Offaly. They have fallen away not just from Dublin but the rest. Their funding is comparable with all other counties except Dublin.

Given Dublins population there is nothing transformative about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

It’s a shambles being honest, all credit to Dublin amazing team but at the rate they are going you could easily see ten in a row, effectively killing the game as a competition, it’s no longer exciting to watch the Dubs matches as the outcome is a foregone conclusion so neutrals just switch off, not sure of the solution to be honest.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Of course it can be coincidence.
    Or it can be down to Dublin gaa getting their act together.
    Or it could be a bit of all three.

Dublin get an influx of professional coaches and suddenly standards start to rise across the board. The coaches are paid to improve standards. The connection can't be denied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The title of the table will do nothing for you if you are trying to convince fans that are against you.

vhrhvc.jpg

Plus why are the different columns in Mayo colours?

Also increase in funding does not equate to increase in success that is fallacy.

If that was the case China would dominate snooker - they do not (still have not won a world title despite the hype)
    China would dominate soccer - they do not (What have they done in any World Cup?)
    The Dublin hurlers were beaten by Laois this year!

Dublin's success is down to these things -

1) Shrewd management of finances (I would argue they are actually underfunded given the population size)

2) Implementation of a decent structure and plan

3) A core of fantastic players who happened to reach thier peak now - who were playing football underage long before any plan was conceived

4) Poor planning in other counties - Meath let thier youth structure whiter and die - no plan after Boylan for example

5) Other counties following fads that may not have suited thier team - defensive football etc - Kildare/Galway

6) Other counties showing lack of innovation

7) Fantastic Dublin management - it could easily fall apart if the wrong fella is in charge

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Not my table, ignore the heading, is the table correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah i imagine a lot of the younger posters in their teens/early 20s would have little or no recollection as to the level Dublin hurlers were actually at about 12/15 years ago and beyond. And this would skew their perception as to the actual improvement they have made

Its easily the biggest improvement seen in county hurling in my lifetime anyway. Its like expecting Antrim or Carlow nowadays to start competing with top sides regularly and beating them from time to time competitively, and to win a Leinster title and make an All Ireland semi in the 2020s

Not my table, ignore the heading, is the table correct?

No idea, didn't put it together, I'd have to see the source data but I'd wager the creator is biased.

No idea, didn't put it together, I'd have to see the source data but I'd wager the creator is biased.

So what if they're biased, the table can be easily checked out. If they are correct, the numbers are shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Hurling counties wax and wane. Look at Offaly. They have fallen away not just from Dublin but the rest. Their funding is comparable with all other counties except Dublin.

Given Dublins population there is nothing transformative about it.

It’s clearly transformative given the previous fifty years of results, two good years aside.

This has been by far and away the best decade for hurling in the last sixty years.

Coincidentally it’s also happening when their footballers are enjoying a period of dominance unparalleled in the history of Dublin football. Both of which are coincidentally happening after a dramatic increase in funding fifteen to twenty years ago.

You must be a big believer in coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Play the all Ireland football Final somewhere other than in Dublin. Take the home advantage away. If the final was in Killarney I'd have it a 50/50.
    Great idea. At the rate it's going I could see kerry or Cork demanding finals be played somewhere in Munster. The final would be reduced by 35k in attendance but if Dublin win it every year and get the lions share of funds I can see counties stop caring about the money.

So what if they're biased, the table can be easily checked out. If they are correct, the numbers are shocking!

Either way the title needlessly antagonises which is the point I was raising.

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah i imagine a lot of the younger posters in their teens/early 20s would have little or no recollection as to the level Dublin hurlers were actually at about 12/15 years ago and beyond. And this would skew their perception as to the actual improvement they have made
    Its easily the biggest improvement seen in county hurling in my lifetime anyway. Its like expecting Antrim or Carlow nowadays to start competing with top sides regularly and beating them from time to time competitively, and to win a Leinster title and make an All Ireland semi in the 2020s

I dont understand why if Offaly could join the top hurling teams in the 80s and 90s and fall away... Dublin cannot repeat the same feat in the 00s and 10s without eyebrows being raised.

Funding does not explain Offalys rise and fall. It is not necessarily needed to explain Dublins. Arguably given population size the outlier is not Dublins current level but their level in the 00s which was actually much poorer than that of the late 80s and early 90s.

It is a bit in fairness but the figures are obscene. I found another one, I think it's from the same person. Again, ignore the title.

29dv1b9.jpg

• Advertisement

Agreed but the poster clearly said he took it from elsewhere. The data looks right, just based on senior football and hurling results and u-21.

I dont understand why if Offaly could join the top hurling teams in the 80s and 90s and fall away... Dublin cannot repeat the same feat in the 00s and 10s without eyebrows being raised.

Funding does not explain Offalys rise and fall. It is not necessarily needed to explain Dublins. Arguably given population size the outlier is not Dublins current level but their level in the 00s which was actually much poorer than that of the late 80s and early 90s.

Occam's Razor.

It is the simplest reason as to why it is Dublin as opposed to any other especially when parallel to the football and the right timeframe to be related to the funding.

At the end of the day it's 15 v 15 on the pitch. It's up to others to catch up with them. Fair play to them, best team ever.

It's not though. Unless both teams decide not to use subs. In which case Dublin always have the superior impact in this regard.

It is a bit in fairness but the figures are obscene. I found another one, I think it's from the same person. Again, ignore the title.

29dv1b9.jpg

I've said early in the thread, first few posts a big bit about why I think Dublin as as good as they are. It's basically resources (playing numbers and money) better than any combined with planning and management better than most of not the best. The fruits are being seen in the quality of players.

It’s clearly transformative given the previous fifty years of results, two good years aside.
    This has been by far and away the best decade for hurling in the last sixty years.
    Coincidentally it’s also happening when their footballers are enjoying a period of dominance unparalleled in the history of Dublin football. Both of which are coincidentally happening after a dramatic increase in funding fifteen to twenty years ago.
    You must be a big believer in coincidence.

I think Dublin GAA have got their act together and that comes through across the board to get Dublin playing to its potential.

I dont think funding is needed necessarily to explain it. There is no nationwide pattern in the funding table versus county results.

But even if it were true it would probably be a worthy goal of GAA funding to boost another competitive hurling county.

Yep 2011 won it against the run of play v Kerry - Kerry pulled up were caught cold momentum shifted

2013 - Although Dublin controlled the game O'Connor's dilly dallying aided Dublin's win

2016 - was delighted with the draw Mayo should defo have won the first game stupid og's keeper mistakes

- in the second game Costello won it with his three points from the bench - thought Dublin deserved it

2017 - if O'connor had got his free instead of hitting the post could easily have been a draw

I honestly cannot see Dublin dominating in five years time.
    The quality coming through is just not the same as Fenton, Mannion, McCarthy, Scully, Kilkenny will be in thier 30's - Cluxton will be gone, Rock will likely be gone 34

Nothing lasts forever and all great teams fade.
    Well you have the best u20 attacker in the country to add in next year. That Archer lad is a machine. Dublin only need to add 2-3 players to the panel each year and before long another golden Dublin crop will arrive with 5 or 6 players. The numbers playing in the capital is growing, the support they get superior and don't forget you've got the best volunteers in the country!

I know you're still hurt from the days when you got beaten by counties a tenth of your size but those days won't be back. You'll be lucky to lose 1 knock out championship match in the next 10 years. You've only lost 1 in the last 6 and 2 in the last 8. Ridiculous. Young Dublin fans don't know the meaning of pain as a fan.

I think Dublin GAA have got their act together and that comes through across the board to get Dublin playing to its potential.

I dont think funding is needed necessarily to explain it. There is no nationwide pattern in the funding table versus county results.

But even if it were true it would probably be a worthy goal of GAA funding to boost another competitive hurling county.

Of course the funding table won’t match results directly.

But when you take the biggest population in the country, pump money creating a massive disparity to the extent that it receiving almost thirteen times the funding received to the next biggest population when it only has two and a half times the population and when that county is also taking in massive commercial income which it is rightly re-investing, the outcomes are almost inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Dublin haven't even won 5 in a row yet (yes, yes, we all know how 3 weeks time will go!) and already their dominance is one of the biggest talking points online, around water coolers, on the radio etc. today

Goodness knows what it'll be like when they're potentially going for 8, maybe 9 even 10 in a row... or beyond!!

I'm at a loss as to how it can be addressed though. Extreme dominance will essentially kill the game at county level, so something will need to happen. Can't see them split into two. Semis outside Croke Park may be realistic, especially given yesterday's paltry attendance. No idea what else though.

A "Lions" series every summer where they play the pick of the rest of Ireland :pac: , one half hurling, one half football? :pac: capping the number of lads over 20 who are allowed to play :p

But who knows maybe they'll bring about their own downfall. A players' strike maybe in 7 years :p ? Maybe then their 3rd string team could be pipped in the final...

Fancy having another go at why Dublin aren't dominating Hurling so? Given they've all the same advantages as the footballers?
    Dublin footballers went from provincial winners/contenders and occasionally AI contender to utter dominance.

Dublin hurlers went from non leinster contenders to leinster/league champs/contenders. Considering how you did vs KK, galway and Wexford this year I'd put you as all Ireland contenders.

Don't forget that in the 00's you'd struggle to beat the likes of meath. That's why you're not easily winning AI's. Because you came from nowhere. Don't worry though it's only a matter of time.

• Advertisement

Occam's Razor.
    It is the simplest reason as to why it is Dublin as opposed to any other especially when parallel to the football and the right timeframe to be related to the funding.

Alongside occams razor we must attach the other stand by... Correlation is not necessarily causation. Oftentimes the simplest reason is right. Sometimes it is wrong and sometimes it is part of the equation but not the full picture.

If there is an input of development funding to results on the field it is a weak one, looking at the table for all counties.

Advertisement