Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Meter Rollout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Assuming the meters include remote reading then I'm very much in favour. I'm rarely home when the meter reader calls and I get widely varying estimates and often get requests to phone in a reading.
    Also, the ability to monitor usage during different time periods is useful if you're trying to save energy and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sounds like a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

they are tracking our every move...…………..

#TinFoilHats... .. ;) :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very very concerned and angry too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Threads about Smart Meters? Has the average age of AH posters reached mid 40s. :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

#Right2Electricity

No way, we wont pay!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Vita nova wrote: »
    Assuming the meters include remote reading then I'm very much in favour.

But if they use remote reading that means extra of those super toxic dangerous brain melting 5G radio Yokio me bobs!

All that magic UHF wavelength interference will be killing our babies faster than those pesky vaccines and flouride that I keep hearing about!

Next thing ya know they will be putting chem trails in the water and running the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas!

I mean FFS won't somebody please! PLEASE think of the children?!?!

Wait...
    Sorry, I meant Gemma! Won't somebody please think of Gemma ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Vita nova wrote: »
    Assuming the meters include remote reading then I'm very much in favour. I'm rarely home when the meter reader calls and I get widely varying estimates and often get requests to phone in a reading.
    Also, the ability to monitor usage during different time periods is useful if you're trying to save energy and money.

Phone in a meter reading? Why not just log it online or through an app? Takes about 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Just how smart are these "meters"? Are we talking Skynet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

#Right2Electricity

No way, we wont pay!!!!

cue videos of protesters fighting with Gardai in someone's back garden during meter installation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What are these costing?

UK households have a choice,they pay if they want one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Very very concerned and angry too
    Any chance of explaining why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Great idea but previous reports say it will be a poor execution.

In Germany the new meters connect to your WiFi and you can use an app or the website to see your exact usage during any second of any day, including in real time.

The original proposal for the Irish "smart" meters was that they would contain a 2g SIM card and text your meter reading to the ESB once every 15 minutes. The readings would not be viewable by the customer in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I would be in favour,,, IF the new meters allow consumers to avail of off peak cheap rates (eg they can switch over to night rates) and to sell electricity back to the grid.

If not, then they will just reduce the reading/admin costs for the suppliers and, as usual, we will be encouraged to reduce demand so that we end up paying more, for less usage.

At the moment, I have a €15 induction monitor on my supply and I can see my own consumption rate. I know which of my appliances cost the most to run and I don't need anything fancier, unless it gives me some additional direct benefits in terms of reduced cost options.

What are the chances :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

i suppose this will mean the end of the chape night rate electricity and instead the only time to make savings will be 15 minutes here and there when it's windy and demand is low

I see TLI got the contract for installing the smart meters but what exactly do TLI do when they're not installing meters?

I see their white vans on the road everywhere every day of the week but I never see them doing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

I see TLI got the contract for installing the smart meters but what exactly do TLI do when they're not installing meters?

I see their white vans on the road everywhere every day of the week but I never see them doing anything

drive around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Around Limerick city they're installing SIRO fibre on the electricity poles and into the ducts.

They're from Kerry.

http://www.tli.ie/

Going to cost a cool billion apparently.

That's billion with a b,not billion with an m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

kneemos wrote: »
    What are these costing?

UK households have a choice,they pay if they want one.

They're "free", but the same section says:

Do I have to pay for the new meter?
    There will be no upfront charge to have a smart meter installed. Like other meter upgrades, the cost of the meter will be recouped over time in charges paid for use of the electricity network infrastructure.

Sounds like they're going to increase rates to cover the cost of installing these. Or it's included in the standard charge you pay just to have electricity. Free me hole.

s8n wrote: »
    drive around ?

That's all they seem to do. Have seen 100s of the vans on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Going to cost a cool billion apparently.

That's billion with a b,not billion with an m.

Considering there's well over a million households in Ireland, did you think they'd do it for under a euro a pop? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don,t like it when services say use company x app,
    not everyone has a smartphone, many people in rural area,s cannot get broadband, so they may not have wifi .
    Theres a lot of older people or maybe people who for medical reasons , who cant use a smartphone .
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/14/two-million-smart-meters-not-working-research-suggests/

If you switch to another supplier they may not work, unless there is a
    plan to make them compatible with all suppliers,

An eircom broadband router wont work on the 3 network .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They're "free", but the same section says:

Do I have to pay for the new meter?
    There will be no upfront charge to have a smart meter installed. Like other meter upgrades, the cost of the meter will be recouped over time in charges paid for use of the electricity network infrastructure.

Sounds like they're going to increase rates to cover the cost of installing these. Or it's included in the standard charge you pay just to have electricity. Free me hole.

And the fact that there won't have to be people going around reading meters every few weeks adding onto usage costs as well. So that's a bonus right there.

I'd be broadly in support especially if we can get paid to supply electricity back onto the grid. It would be a huge help in making the cost of installing solar power more economic for the end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Both Siemens and Kamstrup have worked together on similar smart meter deployments around the world since 2012. The Irish project is planned for execution during 2019 and 2020, and a state-of-the-art data collection system called Kamstrup Omnia will be combined with the Siemens EnergyIP smart meter data management technology.

“Our industry-leading platform Omnia, used for data collection, and our smart meters OmniPower are based on extensive experience and proven technology,” explained the CEO of Kamstrup, Kim Lehmann.

“Our solution will provide ESB Networks with accurate, reliable and secure data, which is fundamental for ESB Networks to establish a stable and flexible network, and provide good customer service,” Lehmann said.

source

Looks like most of us will be getting the Kamstrup OMNIPOWER® Single-phase meter - see datasheet (PDF).

You can get plug in modules for them to integrate with your local wifi, not sure if ESB are allowing this.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

They were rolled out across Holland as well and I refused it. There's too many open questions about much higher bills.

https://www.electriciancourses4u.co.uk/blog/smart-meter-problems/

riclad wrote: »
    I don,t like it when services say use company x app,
    not everyone has a smartphone, many people in rural area,s cannot get broadband, so they may not have wifi .
    Theres a lot of older people or maybe people who for medical reasons , who cant use a smartphone .
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/14/two-million-smart-meters-not-working-research-suggests/

If you switch to another supplier they may not work, unless there is a
    plan to make them compatible with all suppliers,

An eircom broadband router wont work on the 3 network .

An app will work on any phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They were rolled out across Holland as well and I refused it. There's too many open questions about much higher bills.

https://www.electriciancourses4u.co.uk/blog/smart-meter-problems/

I’m sure you can refuse to take a meter. However you’ll be charged the standard unit rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

An app will work on any supported smartphone.

FYP.

Advertisement