Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current Affairs chat thread.

• 20-06-2019 10:49am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be nice to have an off topic chat thread.

How is everyone? Hope ye enjoy the forum.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

IMHO, the Irish Mortgage Holders Organisation provide a creditable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭septictank

The excitement!!!!!

I'm waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ohhh current affairs... have to be careful my wife doesn't find out about my girlfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

jester77 wrote: »
    ohhh current affairs... have to be careful my wife doesn't find out about my girlfriend

No fun allowed in here. Banned for 3 days

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ok then.
    So who is having an affair currently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I hear that Mr Sultan is sleeping with Mrs Raisin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How can it be current affairs if it's an off topic chat? Is that not what After Hours is for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

How can it be current affairs if it's an off topic chat? Is that not what After Hours is for now?

this thread is off topic, a lot of forums have that, to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I am thoroughly enjoying this forum so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The difference is afaik that the usual mythical animals found hiding under bridges found in AH aren't allowed in here ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

El Weirdo wrote: »

Merged into Off-Topic Chat thread

dudara

gozunda wrote: »
    The difference is afaik that the usual mythical animals found hiding under bridges found in AH aren't allowed in here ... ;)

who will decide that, then

ive seen that badge pinned on many long-term, non-rereg posters that simply disagreed with others to trust the term tbh

El Weirdo wrote: »

This Mrs Raisin?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15795185-christmas-crumble

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

12 posts in and no one has blamed the muslims, travellers, leftists, rightists (is that even a word?) Centrists, soros, the brits, the RA or whatsherface o'doherty.

I could get used to this

who will decide that, then

ive seen that badge pinned on many long-term, non-rereg posters that simply disagreed with others to trust the term tbh

Dont know to be sure but is it that the pinners themselves which will get their come uppance?

pinnerbots ;)

pinnerbots ;)

I like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

12 posts in and no one has blamed the muslims, travellers, leftists, rightists (is that even a word?) Centrists, soros, the brits, the RA or whatsherface o'doherty.

I could get used to this

Trouble is you get an echo chamber if you try cut out legit opinions that are too controversial for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trouble is you get an echo chamber if you try cut out legit opinions that are too controversial for some.

I can see "lighthearted" is just going to WHOOOOOOOOOOSHHHH over the heads of some :rolleyes:

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'm curious. Do you think that describing travellers as "a plausible call for ethnic cleansing" is a legit opinion?

• Advertisement

I can see "lighthearted" is just going to WHOOOOOOOOOOSHHHH over the heads of some :rolleyes:

Sarcasm? Good chat :rolleyes:

mike_ie wrote: »
    I'm curious. Do you think that describing travellers as "a plausible call for ethnic cleansing" is a legit opinion?

Do you think that's a balanced response to a legit comment?
    If you can't differentiate between opinions that range from your favourite burger to ethnic cleansing I think you're in the wrong job.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Sarcasm? Good chat :rolleyes:
    If you can't differentiate between opinions that range from your favourite burger to ethnic cleansing I think you're in the wrong job.

The irony is not lost on me.

Matt Barrett, if you want a discussion of the nuances of hate speech vs. opinion, start one. Don't sit back and force others to state their opinions so you can later pick them apart. Lay out exactly what you think hate speech encompasses vs. what opinions encompass, how the mods should deal with it, and all the other issues that such rules would entail. Then we can respond knowledgeably rather than in the current fog.

mike_ie wrote: »
    The irony is not lost on me.

Matt Barrett, if you want a discussion of the nuances of hate speech vs. opinion, start one. Don't sit back and force others to state their opinions so you can later pick them apart. Lay out exactly what you think hate speech encompasses vs. what opinions encompass, how the mods should deal with it, and all the other issues that such rules would entail. Then we can respond knowledgeably rather than in the current fog.

I'm passing comment in a discussion forum and it got your nose out of joint for some reason.

I think the above is a fair and innocuous comment. You come back with 'ethnic cleansing of travelers' as a sampler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Interesting that after two oil tankers were attacked and a US drone was shot down by Iran, making the Persian Gulf one scary place, that oil prices only spiked 6%. I’d have thought prices would have gone up over 25%.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

gozunda wrote: »

Great. No more EOTR, TROL, that militante lad etc.

I see Leo’s partner is in though so assume we will be discussing FG endlessly.

Great. No more EOTR, TROL, that militante lad etc.

I see Leo’s partner is in though so assume we will be discussing FG endlessly.

I trust the irony of your comment isn't lost on you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I trust the irony of your comment isn't lost on you ;)

It was until you pointed it out. Only kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Some of us asked for this forum. And it was delivered.
    Thanks to all of you who worked on it.

I genuinely hope that it will be a success.
    It should allow AH return back to the happy/silly place it once was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Kivaro wrote: »
    Some of us asked for this forum. And it was delivered.
    Thanks to all of you who worked on it.

I genuinely hope that it will be a success.
    It should allow AH return back to the happy/silly place it once was.

I often wondered if anyone even remembered what AH used to be before it became so politicised. Its current carnation is a hollow shell of its former self; I would be optimistic that the creation of this forum will help to alleviate that somewhat.

Advertisement