Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any worthwhile GDPR courses for formal certification?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’m looking to do the same, I think I might go for the law society data protection practitioner certificate as the timing suits:

https://www.lawsociety.ie/productdetails?pid=1768

Or this one from ICS:

https://www.ics.ie/training/data-protection-practitioner-certificate3-day

Would be great to hear from anybody who has done any of these courses or indeed from anybody who is on the hiring side of things and can speak to what certification you look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

I completed the course run by Kings Inn in the 2017/2018 period and before the enforcement of the regulation. I learned a lot from it and the various speakers on each of the topics were very knowledgeable in their respective areas and indeed many had been involved in some of the larger data protection cases that had gone through the courts (including the judges).

I would really like to go back again now that GDPR has been in force for some years and see that the practice has diverged considerably from the expected behaviour at the time. Previous to May 18 consent was the big issue but it looks like legitimate expectation is the area of concern today and often this is being used instead of consent. It did not cover that in enough detail by any means.

Also I found the international data transfers topic to be lacking. There was a strong focus on the problems presented but little on how to legally go about international data transfers under the new regime. Again, I would have a lot of questions on BCRs and the potential fallout of not being able to rely on SCCs. (Binding Corporate Rules, Standard Contractual Clauses)

Overall I found the topic fascinating and it did prompt me to jump into a law degree the same year I completed it. With a bit more knowledge now and with GDPR in force I do see that it was lacking in certain areas but at the time who could have known!

I would hope these gaps have been addressed for any subsequent courses being run.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Law society also have a course as part of their CPD that may be available as part of their online offering.

Edit: YellowLead beat me to it.
    I completed a version of that course in '18.

Advertisement