Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Barkley marathons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Djoucer wrote: »
    It's going to be tight for both of them.

13:34 to finish. The fastest ever loop 5 has been 12:45.

Gary Robbins is a class runner, so who knows. I don't know the other one but if he kept up with Gary for almost 47 hours, he can't be that bad either ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shows how hard this race is when Wardian couldn't finish loop 1 within the time limit. Savage race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Think Wardian's problem was navigation.

Gary Robbin's training for the race was nuts. Doing over 8,000 metres of climbing in one week.

Other runner is a local who knows the area well. He's running the last loop clockwise so might be an advantage.

I think some of the high DNF rate is down to some runners completely out of their depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I think some of the high DNF rate is down to some runners completely out of their depth.

As runners or as orienteers?

I watched the Netflix documentary and just thought it looked like a long slog through incredibly rough terrain! Wouldn't be my cup of tea! Also thought the documentary was an utter scutter pile of ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Piece of piss for Chuck Norris ;-)
    • Chuck Norris knows on which day and at which time Barkley will start next year.
    • Chuck Norris is pacer at the Barkley. He carries a balloon which says "less than 3 hours".
    • At the Barkley, Chuck Norris does not listen to race directions. Race directions listen to Chuck Norris.
    • Chuck Norris has finished Barkley's 6th loop. Clockwise and counter-clockwise.
    • When Chuck Norris participates in the Barkley, it's the race itself who ends up whining "no Chuck, not so hard!".
    • Participating in the Barkley or getting one's ass kicked by Chuck Norris is more or less the same. It hurts very bad and one ends up whining.
    • Chuck Norris does more laps at the Barkley than Yiannis Kouros at a six-days track event.

• Advertisement

I watched the Netflix documentary and just thought it looked like a long slog through incredibly rough terrain! Wouldn't be my cup of tea! Also thought the documentary was an utter scutter pile of ****e!

Both. You should really be able to finish at least one loop if you're entering that type of race.

Wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. Sounds miserable and zero craic. But great to watch from afar.

Thought the doc was great. Really quirky. It's not about running at all.

13:34 to finish. The fastest ever loop 5 has been 12:45.

Gary Robbins is a class runner, so who knows. I don't know the other one but if he kept up with Gary for almost 47 hours, he can't be that bad either ...

Gary still out there John Kelly finished, just a few mins to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a film maker following one of the runners this year (not sure if it's one of the guys mentioned here) who's attempting it again so expect another documentary. Maybe we should have spoilers from this point!

Looks like Robbins missed cut off by 6 seconds. Ouch.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158430350865425&id=389002115424

• Advertisement

Looks like Robbins missed cut off by 6 seconds. Ouch.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158430350865425&id=389002115424

Sounds like he came down from the wrong trail also, so not an official finish. Ouch, ouch and ouch.

Tennessee is THE place for runners' heartache at the moment.

A friend of mine, Bob Hearn, missed inclusion into the American 24 hrs team by 0.03 miles yesterday and today Gary Robbins finished the Barkley 6 seconds late (ok, plus the wrong trail)

Bloody hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Certainly wouldn't be my cup of tea!! And I hate tea anyway. Thoroughly enjoyed the doc./film though. Bunch of mad buggers.

I have to say, I don't understand how people can't finish one loop. Even if they wander and go well over the 20 miles, or say approach 4,000m ascent in that loop, you'd think one loop would be easy enough to do inside the 12 hour cut off...once they were very good at navigation in night time obviously. The only things that I would have thought were genuinely challenging...apart from the distance which would be way beyond me and so can understand the need to rein in the pace, and navigation which can be learned...is the area with that really tough briar growth. But the Mournes Skyrun is a tough challenge, with not too dissimilar distance and ascent to one loop, and while there is no way I'd ever contemplate doing it 5 or even 3 times, it should really be done inside 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Sounds like he came down from the wrong trail also, so not an official finish. Ouch, ouch and ouch.

This was posted by Laz (Organiser) this morning:
    i never expected the story to somehow become that he had missed the time limit by 6 seconds.
    he failed to complete the course by 2 miles.
    the time, in that situation, is meaningless.

i hate it, because this tale perpetuates the myth that the barkley does not have a course.
    the barkley is a footrace.
    it is not an orienteering contest,
    nor a scavenger hunt.
    the books are nothing more than unmanned checkpoints.

the boston marathon has checkpoints.
    and you have to show up at all of them or you can be disqualified...

that does not mean you are allowed to follow any route you choose between checkpoints.

now, the class with which gary handled this terrible disappoinment
    at the end of a truly magnificent performance...
    that was exceptional,
    and is, in and of itself, a remarkable achievement.

but he did not miss the time limit by 6 seconds.
    he failed to complete the barkley by 2 miles.

So you are absolutely correct.

A few points in there relevant to other posts above.

It's a race that requires very good navigation skills, but it is still a fixed course running race, not an orienteering event.

I'd love to give the race a go some time. IMO the hardest running race there is (It's great that its a race that doesn't self publicisise itself as he hardest, the gnarliest etc etc...no marketing required to lure people to pay massive entry fees). It clearly requires a very high level of excellence at many skills (including running fitness... don't doubt it) to have a hope of completing it. Of course the fact that someone has completed this year means the course will be adjusted so that the level of difficulty goes up a notch in future. Feck!

That's a great statement from Laz.

Would be so easy to go along with the six second story as opposed to missing the finish by a couple of miles.

There's no denying it's one of the toughest events out there.

Not sure if you can compare the loop to the Mourne Skyline.

Gary Robbins is the real deal. Experienced expedition racer, top 10 Western States finishers, a few 100 mile victories to his name. If he's doing 10 hour plus loops, 6 hours seems to be way beyond any runner who wants to finish the 5 loops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Enduro wrote: »

Have to say I normally watch your endeavours from afar but when I saw this pop up this morning it caught my attention

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Enduro! Looking forward to reading the outcome and your afterthoughts!

Best of luck Enduro, and if you want to train in hostile terrain that's remote and tough to navigate, just ask - the West Cork Trail Runners will be happy to think up torturous treks across the Cahas, Dunkerrons etc. for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Enduro wrote: »

At least there won't be any snow for you to wuz out on:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Oh wow Enduro,

This looks like hell but what a challenge.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

so one of our own is running this!! whhhaaattt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Any logs on how Enduo did in this?

Saw the documentary last night, remarkable event

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Any logs on how Enduo did in this?

He features heavily in this year's youtube video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpEE-82bWc

He features heavily in this year's youtube video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpEE-82bWc

Thanks, you beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Any idea how I can watch this now? Cant find it on Prime or Netflix , seen the Gary Robbins one, fascinating. Can't believe we have someone who ran in it amongst us!! Did you write any log of it Enduro? Would love to hear more.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Any idea how I can watch this now? Cant find it on Prime or Netflix , seen the Gary Robbins one, fascinating. Can't believe we have someone who ran in it amongst us!! Did you write any log of it Enduro? Would love to hear more.

In the spirit of the Barkley, I didn't... but I might put one out someday soon!

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/Barkley-Marathons-Race-That-Young/dp/B017Y43P3S

and

http://barkleymarathons.com/?author=2

Advertisement