Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

walshb wrote: »
    That would be a hard run over 6-8 k?

LT pace is generally called "comfortably hard" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ososlo wrote: »
    How useful are club speed sessions between July and October for novices doing dcm? As mileage increases with the long slow run and mid week run is that what the focus should be? Is speed work on top of that a good idea or asking for trouble?
    The challenge is that you would be introducing a significant amount of 'new stuff' to someone who is relatively new to running (assumption/generalization warning). You've got the physical stress of getting used to running longer distances and introducing the added physical stress of speed-work could put them in a dangerous position in terms of potential for injury. Probably better to focus on one area at a time.

I would think that more emphasis should be put on marathon-pace specific work, rather than speed sessions. When you first start marathon training (for novice runners), typically marathon pace is pretty manageable (as you are not approaching your maximum potential), so introducing (and expanding) the amount of marathon pace running could form the major part of the plan's speed-work. Running slightly faster than marathon pace (for short periods of time) can make marathon pace feel easier though, so you could potentially include some intervals early in the plan, geared towards making MP more achievable. Something like:
    Week 01: 8 x 600m @MP -10 secs/mile (10 seconds faster per mile than MP)
    Week 02: 5 x 1k @MP
    Week 03: 6 x 800m @MP - 10 secs/mile
    Week 04: 5 x 1,600 @MP
    Week 05: 4 Miles @MP
    Week 06: 6 x 1k @MP - 10 secs/mile
    Week 07: 6 Miles @MP
    Week 08: 6 x 1.2k @MP - 10 secs/mile
    Week 09: 2 x 4 Miles @MP
    Week 10: 6 x 1600k @MP - 10 secs/mile
    Week 11: 8 Miles @MP...
    etc...

The above would be in addition to a long run. It's not really speed-work, as it's all in and around marathon pace, and should (in theory) be relatively achievable, while making it easier to hit marathon pace for longer periods, while you build up the long runs. Just a thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

^^^^ yep agreed and we have our plan set up on the novices' forum with mp work.
    My question was really about some novices who will be following our plan but who are also in clubs where there will be weekly track sessions/interval work etc.
    Should they forego those sessions? Most would not be very experienced runners.
    I feel they should just concentrate on the plan from July onwards but that's just my inexperienced opinion. A club tempo session could be beneficial I guess in place of our mp session if it was on offer.

^^^^ yep agreed and we have our plan set up on the novices' forum with mp work.
    My question was really about some novices who will be following our plan but who are also in clubs where there will be weekly track sessions/interval work etc.
    Should they forego those sessions? Most would not be very experienced runners.
    I feel they should just concentrate on the plan from July onwards but that's just my inexperienced opinion. A club tempo session could be beneficial I guess in place of our mp session if it was on offer.
    Yeah, should have read your question a little better! Chances are that club speed-work will likely be counterproductive with a novice marathon plan, but you can't really go asking a runner to choose between his/her club and a marathon plan. As long as they follow the general structure of the marathon novices plan and remain vigilant in relation to injury (space out sessions so they don't overlap too closely) they should be ok. They should really be focusing on their marathon goal form Mid-August onwards though (12 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ok, first major dilemma on Marathon Training Plan.

On the 3rd Sunday of the plan, I have a Half that I'll be running instead of that week's Q1. That's not really the problem. My query is, should I do the midweek 4E + 5x (1k @ I.....) + 4x(400 @R....) + 2E session before the Sunday Half race?

Any advice welcome.

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Ok, first major dilemma on Marathon Training Plan.

On the 3rd Sunday of the plan, I have a Half that I'll be running instead of that week's Q1. That's not really the problem. My query is, should I do the midweek 4E + 5x (1k @ I.....) + 4x(400 @R....) + 2E session before the Sunday Half race?
    Any advice welcome.
    His holiness (Sir Daniels) says that you if you are racing, you should drop the Q2 (in favour of the race) and do the Q1 mid-week instead. So, the week before the race, you should do your Q1 and Q2 as normal. then (assuming the race is on the weekend when you would normally do the Q1), you would do the race instead and mid-week do the Q1 for that week. You have to take a common sense approach though. Typically an 'all out' raced half marathon can take 10+ days to recover, so if you're not in a position to do the Q1, then don't. No training in the world will help, if you don't make the start-line for your marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Niggles.

Is there any sort of science or rationale on what niggles can be run off?

Annoying niggle in the calf, goes away when running, next morning, it's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Niggles.

Is there any sort of science or rationale on what niggles can be run off?

Annoying niggle in the calf, goes away when running, next morning, it's back.

Difficult one to answer. I think every runner constantly has a niggle or two, it's just one of those things. For example, my right shin is quite tight at the moment but once I get going it loosens out. That's a niggle, not an injury. The main thing is to make sure that that 'niggle' doesn't turn into an injury. It's a balancing act that probably only comes with a bit of experience.

If it's painful to run then probably don't run! Stretch, ice, rest etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I like fig rolls. They are a particular favourite of mine post LSR and I eat them liberally when carbo loading. Just one question! how do they get the figs into the fig rolls?

TRR wrote: »
    I like fig rolls. They are a particular favourite of mine post LSR and I eat them liberally when carbo loading. Just one question! how do they get the figs into the fig rolls?

Next?

• Advertisement

When people say their leg or whatever feels 'tight' what do they mean exactly? Sore? The muscle in the area is sore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Will stick this question in here I suppose....

Trying to choose between 2 marathon plans, but looking for some advice. Planning on running my 2nd marathon in Dublin this year (Did my first in 2013). Going to go with a Hal Higdon plan again this year, as I did last year and had no problems. The two plans Im looking at though dont have much variation in them really and I would like to mix some tempo/strides etc. into the runs on Tue/Wed/Thurs.....but Im not sure how many I should do and how often??

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated....Ill put a link to the spreadsheet with the plans below if anyone wants to take a look!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47146575/Training%20Log%202014.xlsx

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When people say their leg or whatever feels 'tight' what do they mean exactly? Sore? The muscle in the area is sore?

I always put this down to a lack of spring or elasticity in the movement of the joints. There's just very little bounce. Happens to me sometimes.

rob w wrote: »
    Will stick this question in here I suppose....

Trying to choose between 2 marathon plans, but looking for some advice. Planning on running my 2nd marathon in Dublin this year (Did my first in 2013). Going to go with a Hal Higdon plan again this year, as I did last year and had no problems. The two plans Im looking at though dont have much variation in them really and I would like to mix some tempo/strides etc. into the runs on Tue/Wed/Thurs.....but Im not sure how many I should do and how often??

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated....Ill put a link to the spreadsheet with the plans below if anyone wants to take a look!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47146575/Training%20Log%202014.xlsx
    Why don't you just steal the 'Thursday' sessions from the advanced plan? Should just slot into your existing plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I wouldn't say sore. Not for me anyway.
    It's more a feeling of wanting to stop and stretch the leg/muscle to loosen it out so that your running isn't hindered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I really like this thread, have so many random questions at times... i'll stick to one for the moment and in keeping with the training plan type questions.
    I completed the wexford half marathon in 1:59 however want to reach sub 1:50 by December and to build on this to do DCM15..
    I currently get out about 4 times a week 3x 5-8KM runs usually @ 5:40 KM pace and then a longer 10km to 15KM run on Sunday @ 5:50 KM.. I will probably write off most of September due to a new baby arriving I am also recovering from Patellar Subluxation (ongoing with number of years and casued me to abandon DCM13/14 plans) and recently coming back from pinched nerve between knee and calf..

so how do I get to sub 1:50 between now and December?
    More KM on the roads - working on getting that in place
    intervals - am a bit lost as to what I should be doing here :(
    strength\core training - need to get back to doing that..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

tommycahir wrote: »
    I really like this thread, have so many random questions at times... i'll stick to one for the moment and in keeping with the training plan type questions.
    I completed the wexford half marathon in 1:59 however want to reach sub 1:50 by December and to build on this to do DCM15..
    I currently get out about 4 times a week 3x 5-8KM runs usually @ 5:40 KM pace and then a longer 10km to 15KM run on Sunday @ 5:50 KM.. I will probably write off most of September due to a new baby arriving I am also recovering from Patellar Subluxation (ongoing with number of years and casued me to abandon DCM13/14 plans) and recently coming back from pinched nerve between knee and calf..

so how do I get to sub 1:50 between now and December?
    More KM on the roads - working on getting that in place
    intervals - am a bit lost as to what I should be doing here :(
    strength\core training - need to get back to doing that..:o

Your target race is 6 months away so that gives you plenty of time to improve. If I were to advise, I would recommend simply building your base first and wouldn't worry too much about intervals etc. Interval and speed work can come later. Try and get a good foundation first. Build the miles gradually and try and get out an extra day or two a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Why don't you just steal the 'Thursday' sessions from the advanced plan? Should just slot into your existing plans.

Yeah actually, that looks good. Will incorporate some of them on the Thursday slot so! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

TRR wrote: »

Guess it's something like this :

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Heaps of sugar.load of butter,vanilla,cinimimnground almonds....cream the crackers outta it....add in a load if eggs......add in flour....put half d mixture in a tray..throw in a load of fig rolls. Put d other half on top and bake till its not burnt.....will work with rehydrated figs aswell

Should you go running in thunder and lightening?

• Advertisement

Ha.

That reminds when myself and Dogsly got stuck up at Two Rock during lightening and we both didn't have a clue what to do.
    When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors.

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-running-training/lightning-strikes

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/lightning-hiking-rocky-mountains.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Should you go running in thunder and lightening?

My best run this year was in thunder, lightening and a flood. Ran through Cork on an 18M run. Came back through the city only it was flooded and had to run through the flood (bad idea as 1: water contained bad stuff, 2: I could have fallen down a manhole). Heading out the road there was a power cut and all the lights went out. Kind of class but a little weird. Had the wind behind me going home and ran two of the fastest miles every due to it. Best run ever.

Running on flood streets is a silly idea :) Thunder and lightening is fine. If its storm force wind then thats the only thing that keeps me in.

rom wrote: »
    My best run this year was in thunder, lightening and a flood. Ran through Cork on an 18M run. Came back through the city only it was flooded and had to run through the flood (bad idea as 1: water contained bad stuff, 2: I could have fallen down a manhole). Heading out the road there was a power cut and all the lights went out. Kind of class but a little weird. Had the wind behind me going home and ran two of the fastest miles every due to it. Best run ever.

Running on flood streets is a silly idea :)Thunder and lightening is fine. If its storm force wind then thats the only thing that keeps me in.

After reading the links above I don't think running in thunder and lightening is fine!
    "Know that there’s an average of 54 reported deaths due to lightning each year, and hundreds of people are permanently injured after becoming struck. These injured folks suffer long-term symptoms like memory loss, attention deficits, stiff joints, irritability, fatigue, weakness, muscle spasms, depression, and more."
    I do know a lot of people with the above symptoms too who never ran and never got struck by lightening :pac:

My most memorable and enjoyable run ever was during a storm force wind last winter. I'll never forget it and if I never run again I'll have that fantastic memory with me. Running in thunder and lightening seems a little more dangerous to me!

After reading the links above I don't think running in thunder and lightening is fine!
    "Know that there’s an average of 54 reported deaths due to lightning each year, and hundreds of people are permanently injured after becoming struck. These injured folks suffer long-term symptoms like memory loss, attention deficits, stiff joints, irritability, fatigue, weakness, muscle spasms, depression, and more."
    I do know a lot of people with the above symptoms too who never ran and never got struck by lightening :pac:

My most memorable and enjoyable run ever was during a storm force wind last winter. I'll never forget it and if I never run again I'll have that fantastic memory with me. Running in thunder and lightening seems a little more dangerous to me!
    I haven't read the article, but I'd imagine it's written in the US, where their weather is a little more extreme than ours.. Chances of being hit by lightning in this country are pretty slim, particularly when you are not the most exposed element on the landscape. I wouldn't head to the top of Tree Rock, lick my finger and hold it in the air though, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're several thousand times more likely to be hit by a car or to slip and hit your head than you are to be hit by lightning in Ireland. You are in fact five times more likely to win the lotto than to be struck by lightning. Just avoid sheltering under lone trees or waving a metal pole around and you'll be fine.

The risk in the US is much greater for a number of reasons, but still in the "not that likely" territory.

Run in an urban area and your chance of being struck is practically zero.

seamus wrote: »
    You're several thousand times more likely to be hit by a car or to slip and hit your head than you are to be hit by lightning in Ireland. You are in fact five times more likely to win the lotto than to be struck by lightning. Just avoid sheltering under lone trees or waving a metal pole around and you'll be fine.

The risk in the US is much greater for a number of reasons, but still in the "not that likely" territory.

Run in an urban area and your chance of being struck is practically zero.

True but running around a park during thunder is asking for trouble.

It's rare enough in Ireland not to be much of an issue but I reckon the US advice still stands on what to do when there is an actual lightning storm.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    True but running around a park during thunder is asking for trouble.

It's rare enough in Ireland not to be much of an issue but I reckon the US advice still stands on what to do when there is an actual lightning storm.

Would never run near trees during it. Thats mad.

What is the perfect pre session meal. I have a session tonight at 6. I eat my lunch at 1. Prob just have a banana around 5. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chances of being hit by lightning in this country are pretty slim,

There was a young lad killed by lightning in Tallaght about 3 or 4 years ago. It's the only recent case I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Did an LSR before work this morning...But really struggled about what to have for breakfast! I usually just do short runs in the morning so just have breakfast after...

I didn't want to waste time eating porridge at 6am so just had a big dinner last night and a few crackers this morning before heading out.

Anybody got any better suggestions for a snack before a long early morning run?

Advertisement