Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crew available / crew wanted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Hello,

I am looking to take part in a crew. Racing would be fun but any working crew would be nice.
    I have experience in a bristol pilot cutter, over 5000 miles but very little experience in a modern boat (no winches etc.)

But I'm a quick learner and have some good sea yarns too

Please get in touch if you need crew at all, would love to get sailing again. Live near Dun Laoghaire but will travel if necessary.

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

TS Pelican is looking for 16-25 year olds from the UK and Ireland to take part in a tall ship voyage from Belfast to Dublin to Liverpool in May/June. Funding is available to those meeting the criteria.
    http://www.adventureundersail.com/irish_sea_exchange.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22 malhiggins

Hi all.

Is there anyone out there who is looking for crew members in the west coast of Ireland as I would like to get experience on the water. About 3 months ago I purchased a second hand Shetland Family 4 but I would like to get some experience before taking it out. I'm usually available on the weekends and free everyday during the months of July-August.

Please keep me in mind if you are looking for a crew member.

Regards

Malachy

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Higgy12

Hi, we're looking for a crew member for racing on weekends. We race from Malahide. If you're interested please contact me.

Morning.

Thanks for the reply. Do I need any experience as I don't have any on the water.
    Regards

Mal

• Advertisement

Hi Mal,

We're on the east coast if you're interested. We're fine with someone looking to learn.

Hi.

When is your next outing and what time at???

Mal

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

Hey Higgy,

I'm based in Clontarf. 26 year old male, had sailing experience when I was a kid but pretty much remember none of that so I'm completely new. If you are looking for extra hands sometime I'd love to help out if ye have the room and don't mind someone with 0 experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Im 34 ( Too Old ?)

Looking to learn everything from the start.

Im available every weekend and live near Dublin ...... i looking to build up experience and i'm reliable ..... let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Hello,

I'm 29 and looking to crew. I raced dinghies some years ago, but have zip experience on 'real' boats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 creavertor

hello, in a month I will be living in Malahide. i am galician 31 years old and I will go to live for a while with the intention of learning English. I am sailing and dinghy instructor dinghy. I would like to find some boat to be part of the crew, to sail on occasion. the only problem is my English level is really low. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

creavertor wrote: »
    hello, in a month I will be living in Malahide. i am galician 31 years old and I will go to live for a while with the intention of learning English. I am sailing and dinghy instructor dinghy. I would like to find some boat to be part of the crew, to sail on occasion. the only problem is my English level is really low. thanks

Best place to try over winter will Howth for the Brass Monkeys on cruisers. Very little sailing in Dublin over the winter. Post an ad on the club website and explain your situation http://hyc.ie/crew-finder

I am already registered on the website of Howth, I hope to get lucky and find some boat to sail even make a sailing long voyage or move a ship to other place or country.
    i am a skill navigator with experience on sailboat, with my boat "Aguilucho" ESP-9238 is a Yatlant 24, a model made in galicia very similar the Coco 6.5.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

creavertor wrote: »
    I am already registered on the website of Howth, I hope to get lucky and find some boat to sail even make a sailing long voyage or move a ship to other place or country.
    i am a skill navigator with experience on sailboat, with my boat "Aguilucho" ESP-9238 is a Yatlant 24, a model made in galicia very similar the Coco 6.5.
    thanks

Right now you don't have an ad up. Follow the link, put an ad up outlining what you want to crew on and the experience you have.

Right now you don't have an ad up. Follow the link, put an ad up outlining what you want to crew on and the experience you have.

thanks, i registered but now i wait that the web approved my ad.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Interesting thread. The only knowledge I have of sailing is watching volvo ocean race clips on youtube, it looks like great craic :D. Probably a very obvious question but regarding a newbie looking to crew with a racing boat what fees do they pay? I'm guessing at the highest levels (i.e volvo ocean race type lark) each crew member is paying for their place on the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Remmy wrote: »
    Interesting thread. The only knowledge I have of sailing is watching volvo ocean race clips on youtube, it looks like great craic :D. Probably a very obvious question but regarding a newbie looking to crew with a racing boat what fees do they pay? I'm guessing at the highest levels (i.e volvo ocean race type lark) each crew member is paying for their place on the boat?

I would have thought quite the opposite, I'd imagine the crews on boats such as the Volvo Ocean Race would be getting paid to be there, or atleast certainly not paying to be there, they are a professional working crew!! I'm open to correction though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's kind of like asking do F1 drivers pay for their weekend spins :D

That's how far removed Volvo Ocean racing is from your normal club stuff. Of course there's a whole lot in between as well.

I'd imagine those Volvo crews are handsomely paid for their presence.

But newbies don't generally pay for their places. They also generally don't get places on anything other than club boats out doing weekday amateur racing.

Once you get a level above that into entering big events or offshore races, then it really depends how rich and/or generous the boat owners are :D. I've done some big offshores for no cost to me at all as crew, but a lot will spread the cost between the crew. And the likes of sailing schools will charge a hefty fee (including a profit for them, obviously) for a place on a big race.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

Just on the off chance anyone is looking for Crew for the spring series in either howth or dun laoghaire Id be happy to lend my services. Useually sail in Poolbeg but the season doesnt start back up for a few months.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

This is about the time of year; when people are getting the boats ready for the coming season.
    I am available most weekends; if someone wants to do some maintenance’ or minor repairs’ to give a hand cleaning; or any other odd jobs.
    In return I would après eat some sailing lessons?
    If you think this would suite your needs then let me know

• Advertisement

Any takers
    I have lost a little bit of weight but I might still be good for ballast
    :D

Hi, We're always looking for crew for club racing on Fridays and weekends. North Co. Dublin area. We start racing around mid May.

Few crew wanted ads up on Howth Yacht Club website.

Autumn leagues are on in Howth starting tomorrow for 6 weeks and few boats looking for crew if any ones looking for a sail

Anyone looking for an inexperienced but enthusiastic crew member in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Would anyone have interest in a sail from Ireland to the Med in late April next year?

32 ft. hustler racing yacht

Let me know if you would be available and what experience you have as well.

Not even Xmas & boats are already looking for crew for next summer. Good Class 3 boat in Howth looking.

http://hyc.ie/crew-finder/47-vincent-gaffney

Hi,

We're looking for crew either new or experienced for club racing in North Dublin. Races are mainly on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Higgy12 wrote: »
    Hi,

We're looking for crew either new or experienced for club racing in North Dublin. Races are mainly on the weekend.

A friend of mine would be interested. (I would be too, if I still lived in the area!)

Can you send me your number and I can pass it on?

Advertisement