Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fea

Guys how do you cope with the withdrawal symptoms? The kind of feeling of oh it is the weekend and I would love a drink but now I am of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Fantastic, well done, Satanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

Satanta wrote: »
    1 year. woo hoo

Well done you. I am in awe. Ten days for me

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

260 days.

Longest since I was 16, mid 30's now. not going to go into the reasons for going off it, same as alot of other posters.

Feeling so much better mentally and physically. prob not going to stay off it forever but just tipping away one day...week...month at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Satanta wrote: »
    1 year. woo hoo

fair play man well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

Realies so right. I needed a plan. I kept deciding to stop drinking and continued to do the dsame stuff and live the same life and hoped not to falter. Asking to fail, like sitting an exam withou preparation.

This time I have done things differently, prepared myself more and so far working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Failing to plan is planing to fail :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

im 20, never touched it in my life, while all my friends started around 16 it never really interested me so I didn't bother, I never really understood why it seems like you HAVE to drink to have fun
    people are shocked when I say I don't drink some even get offended and try force me, but I've held up for this long so I don't intend on starting any time soon :)

2 months on monday an i feel unreal!

Good man mr morgan, it sure is a great feeling and will get even better ;-)

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    Good man mr morgan, it sure is a great feeling and will get even better ;-)

Cheers Realies.

it is a great feeling. but very very tough. but nobody said it was going to be easy.

For nearly all of us, just wishing and hoping that we will stop drinking (or begin drinking "normally") "on our own" is not going to work. Remember: nobody ever "wished and hoped" their way through any important project. But with persistence, and support from others, following a plan can take us to the places in our lives where we really want to go.

Some tips to help
    Exercise (doesn't have to be a whole lot; some brisk walking, 3 or 4 days a week, is helpful)
    Hypnotherapy,
    Meditation.
    Dietary supplements,
    A healthy diet, and regular meals,
    Medication,
    reading the posts of others, getting to know people, asking questions, and talking about your progress and your struggles
    Going to AA meetings
    Changing our environment: Getting alcohol out of the house; not going to bars; not hanging around with "drinking buddies"

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Off it three years on new years day. Feel good being off it and don't miss it but do miss the craic. Still go to pubs with my mates but the ones that are packed wreck my head.

One of the definite perks when going out is not having to get taxis, just hop in the car and home in 5 minutes.

Have a real good bunch of friends too and although they'd be out every weekend and dragging me out with them never once did they urge me to have a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

right lads going give it a bash. The hangovers are just worth it. One day at a time.

cremeegg wrote: »
    right lads going give it a bash. The hangovers are just worth it. One day at a time.

:D You forgot your not :D

Go for it cremeegg,don't forget to have a plan & goal in place especially for the witching hours :) Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

I keep trying to keep my intake down and solely for the weekends but it just doesn't seem to work.
    I'm white wine mad and almost have a lust for it.
    I can go 2/3 days without but its always an effort. The more I think about staying off it, the more I think about it.
    Gonna have to get tough with me!
    Niall.

I tried cutting down sooo many times and had varying amounts of 'success' but I felt it just wasn't worth it for all the debating that has to go on inside your head in order to limit your intake. It drove me mental, all the self talk before and during nights out, then the post mortem the day after. If I stuck within the limits, I was invariably miserable. If I didn't, I was miserable. No win situation.

To me, abstenance wins hands down over temperance. All that mind talk is GONE. No more having to think up dumber and dumber 'strategies' in order to fool myself into drinking less than I really wanted.

Day 168 today and I ain't never going back!

And best of luck, cremeegg, but make sure you have a plan, as Realies advises. If you are serious about this, you need to prepare. For the first few weeks, I made a schedule, hour by hour, in order to know what I was doing next at any time. Because when the urge takes hold, if you are sitting around bored, you are more likely to relapse.

Also, I had a list of things I could do at any time RIGHT NOW to distract me, again, in case I was going through a vulnerable moment. When the urge takes hold, your mind gets muddled and you can't think straight so having the list on the wall really helps.

hubba wrote: »
    I tried cutting down sooo many times and had varying amounts of 'success' but I felt it just wasn't worth it for all the debating that has to go on inside your head in order to limit your intake. It drove me mental, all the self talk before and during nights out, then the post mortem the day after. If I stuck within the limits, I was invariably miserable. If I didn't, I was miserable. No win situation.

To me, abstenance wins hands down over temperance. All that mind talk is GONE. No more having to think up dumber and dumber 'strategies' in order to fool myself into drinking less than I really wanted.

Day 168 today and I ain't never going back!

For me its Day 1035 so me neither :)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Gonna stay off it for a few weeks running up to christmas. Have fallen back into old, unhealthy drinkinhg habits in the last few months and want to re-adjust things a wee bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭finnigan

I don't count the days anymore but wife just told me its been 5 years since I last touched a drop. It wasn't easy getting outta the habit and there's some days I'd love a wee dram but as they say "one day at a time folks" ;-)

finnigan wrote: »
    I don't count the days anymore but wife just told me its been 5 years since I last touched a drop. It wasn't easy getting outta the habit and there's some days I'd love a wee dram but as they say "one day at a time folks" ;-)

Deadly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

hubba wrote: »
    This is me in a nutshell, and most others id imagine, theirs a fine line between too much and not enough to loose your inhibitions and have a release from the week.

Question for everyone, what is drinking too much in one sitting for a grown man? 2-4-6 pints? I only drink Friday and Saturday and the odd curer on the Sunday as they say rolleyes.gif

HSE guidelines are 21 units a week for men (or 10.5 pints approx) but no more than 6 units per day or 3 pints. Any more than that is considered binge drinking and very harmful to your health.

Interestingly these guideline limits are higher than for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

There is a notion abroad in Ireland that we are somehow genetically adapted to comsume hugh quanties without ill effect.
    And of course we could not possibly enjoy ourselves without 'enough of the rare auld mountain dew'.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

Or even hugh quantities (of booze)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

i'm struggling now myself lads with temptation, been off and on it all year,trying my best, ten weeks my longest dose clean, i'm two weeks clean now but am feeling the risk now, old drinking buddies starting to pull me back in ringing me tempting me, i'm only a few weeks from my exams now and need to keep the head down but the urge and the thirst is building inside me, any advice?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Was at a 40th tonight. The horror expressed by all to learn that I don't drink alcohol is priceless. This December I shall be off it 3 years :) but it's still sad to see a relative struggle with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

why are you off it? because of your treatment?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I quit because I was getting fierce rowdy, dependent and spent a night in a cell. The latter being the biggest wake up call I've ever had.

Advertisement