Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

• 14-11-2007 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

There was a thread in Bio/Med forum about this a while ago - probably something that's more appropriate for here.

So what do people think of it? Opinions?

Personally, I'm rather wary. I've heard quite a few bad stories about it. That said, the quality of the surgery etc. is steadily improving, or so my optician says. It's something that I might consider in the future I think.

Laser Eye Surgey - would you get it done to improve your eyesight? 779 votes

Yes
    0% 5 votes
    No
    43% 337 votes
    Might consider it in the future
    6% 54 votes
    I've already had it done
    31% 243 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    17% 140 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My eyesight would have to be pretty awful and debilitating to go that route.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No. I've been told that due to the size and shape of my head (no, it's not distorted or anything, I just wear a large hat size :)) and pretty poor eyesight I'd require another laser operation first to fuse the retina to the eyeball to avoid the risk of detatching it during the corrective operation. Even after that it moght only be possible to bring me up to -1 or 2 and I'd still need glasses for certain things, so not really wrth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

nah.

i love the novelty of glasses and contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I would love to have good eyesight again but I am wary. I've a friend who effectively has just the one eye now because they had laser eye surgery go wrong on them a few years ago and all that can be seen out of that eye now is shapes. I also know of someone who lost the sight in their eye. That's enough to put me off.

Also, I don't think enough is known about the long-term effects of laser eye surgery (or indeed the other types). I would rather still have my eyesight (albeit corrected with glasses) at 70 than to be dependent on a labrador and a white stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite, a 99.9% success rate would'nt be enough in this case.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I might get it in the future as my eyesight is very poor. A while ago my glasses were broken in town, and I could only see out of one lens. I was scared and disorientated, and found it difficult to make my way through the dark streets and bright lights. I don't like the feeling of being so dependent on a fragile thing of metal and plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

I got laser eye surgery during the summer. My eyesight before was approx -6.5 in both eyes so I was completely dependent on glasses and contacts. At my last check up (3 months) I could easily read the 20/20 line and could make an attempt two lines below that.

I was completely aware of the risks involved and I'm so relieved that I didn't experience any complications. I paid extra for what I considered to be the safest options - wavefront and intralase. Of course there is always a risk involved but I was willing to take that risk and I'm very happy with the outcome.

At this stage though, I've come to a point where I'm used to it. I had been using continuous wear lenses for a couple of years prior to the surgery so waking up and being able to see wasn't a big change. I did have a lot of problems with the lenses; mainly a comfort issue so it's a relief not to have to deal with that anymore. Sometimes I just stop for a minute and look around and appreciate how well I can see, all the little details. It really is amazing considering that before, everything was one big blur.

To anyone considering surgery- research, research, research. Know all the options available to you. Most clinics offer free consultations. This is great for getting a feel for the clinic as well but be aware that if you are eligible, they will want to get a sale so don't rush into anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Best thing I ever did.

Wearing glasses from when I was 9 to 23.
    You can imagine the abuse I got at school :(

Now have better than 20:20 vision and am in the top 3% of the population.

And all for four weeks of some serious pain and discomfort.
    Don't let anyone tell you it's painless. Well it was for very painful for me anyway.

But worth it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

I have heard many mixed stories from people who have had it done. Mostly positive. If you ask an optician their opinion on the matter they will more than likely say that they don't have one, because they can't lead someone down the garden path. I know an optician outside of work though and she informed me that she has had quite alot of customers in with various eye complaints after the procedure was done, anything from dry eyes to more serious infections. She said she personally would never get it done based on this. So really i'm in two minds myself. Happy enough to wear overnight contacts at the moment tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The eyes are something to necessary to risk on something like this. When the success rate goes up a bit more then maybe I will. Saying that my sister has had it done and she has had no problems what so ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Is it true that the effects wear off after about 10 years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no, but your eyes will get worse as you get older.. that's natural and can't be avoided.

you can probably get surgery again when you're older though to correct what is wrong with them at that stage... it's usually far sightedness for older people isn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Despite the very high success rates im still weary of this for a number of reasons.

1) if something does go wrong, its generally irreversible
    2) There are regular instances of minor issues, such as colour saturation (colours arent as colourful) and issues for people driving at night (i.e. they need glasses). Both of which are irreversible
    3) Being qualified, doesnt mean you are good at performing the surgery
    4) And the main reason: If something did go wrong, id be screwed in life for mostly work reasons. (you dont see many surgeons who wear glasses getting it done for the same reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Not a hope in hell.
    I am -4 and -5 and I juggle between my glasses and contacts. I've been told I have slight over-wear from the contacts.

I barely had to consider it for long. I wouldn't take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I haven't had it done but will be seriously considering it next year. I have been wearing glasses for 18 years and i've had contacts for about 10 years. I hate wearing glasses and i suffer from a lot of discomfort with my contacts.
    I'm -4.5 in both eyes so i can't function without either the glasses or contacts.

I have 2 cousins and 4 friends who have had it done. One has some issues with vision at night but still says the benefits way outweigh the negatives. Another had a lot of problems with dry eyes that lasted about 6 months but went away with treatment and regular visits to the surgeon. All in all they are all extremely happy with how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

some of those laser places are just in it for the money. everyone is a perfect candidate and some are most definitley not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Misticles wrote: »
    some of those laser places are just in it for the money. everyone is a perfect candidate and some are most definitley not!!

What makes you think they are just in it for the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

i definitely hope to get laser at some stage.

suffer with alot of discomfort from my lenses and dislike wearing my glasses

i'm - 6.10 in my right and -5.5 in my left so i really can't see a thing without them

I'd love to be able to wake up and see everything in the morning, see my boyfriends face and not end up nosing him in the eye when i try to kiss him or be able to tell whether it's raining or not when i look out the window or be able to see the small writing on the tv of sky news!!

it is great. just make sure you go to a reputable place. even ask your optician could they recommend one. they all know people who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I have heard many mixed stories from people who have had it done. Mostly positive. If you ask an optician their opinion on the matter they will more than likely say that they don't have one, because they can't lead someone down the garden path. I know an optician outside of work though and she informed me that she has had quite alot of customers in with various eye complaints after the procedure was done, anything from dry eyes to more serious infections. She said she personally would never get it done based on this. So really i'm in two minds myself. Happy enough to wear overnight contacts at the moment tbh.
    Then again an a person whos eyes were perfect would hardly keep going to an optician. They're only going to see the complications.

• Advertisement

ian_m wrote: »

i work in an opticians and when people come in for their checks and they happen to say they ave been told they are a good candidate for laser.. there as been cases where in facct they are not. people missing cells on the eye that dont grow back and laser would remove more of these cells.
    some laser places not all are in it for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

ian_m wrote: »

hmmmmmm..

Well a business is there to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I know 5 people who have had the laser treatment and everyone of them is very happy with it, including me. Best money I've ever spent and I hope to get the tax back on it soon....damn january, I'm broke.

The comment about it being painful. I would have been a lot happier with pain killers after the treatment. The trip home in the car was tough. It felt like somebody was shinning a strong torch in my eyes (I had Lasik). More uncomfortable than sore. A few painkillers, a large whiskey when I got home and some pink floyd sorted that out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I've heard great stories too but I'm just not letting a laser get near my eyes. I'm happy enough with my glasses thank you :) The only time they annoy me is sometimes when I'm looking through the viewfinder on my camera but then I'd rather spend my money on a fancy camera with liveview than laser surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Was thinking of getting this done myself and was recommended this place from a successful candidate. Anyone on here go there by any chance?

http://www.wellingtoneyeclinic.com/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just reading the FAQ on that site and they mentioned that some people have too low of an irregularity in their eyes to get surgery. I'm -1.00 in both eyes and I want to get it done. Anyone know if my eyes are bad enough to get it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Roaster wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting this done myself and was recommended this place from a successful candidate. Anyone on here go there by any chance?

http://www.wellingtoneyeclinic.com/

I had the Surgery done by Mr Arthur Cummings at the Wellington Clinic 3 Years ago and with great success. I initially had Lasik done but after the settling down period 3-6 Months after surgery My eyes regressed back to -1 or there abouts so I opted to have the surgery done again this time Wavefront.. I was -6.75 before the surgery and now after 3 Years I'm still better than 20/20 and when last tested I was the standard required by pilots. As for night vision I drive for a living at night and have never had It so good.. I can see faces at Night at 50 Meters which is something I never experienced with glasses.. As for pain I've had both eyes done twice now and would not have gone back for adjustments if it was that bad.. Probably on par with the Dentist..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

Dubsmax wrote: »
    I had the Surgery done by Mr Arthur Cummings at the Wellington Clinic 3 Years ago and with great success. ..

Anyone any experience of Richard Corkin at the Wellington?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JaneDanes

I know 5 people who have had the laser treatment and everyone of them is very happy with it, including me. Best money I've ever spent and I hope to get the tax back on it soon....damn january, I'm broke

Hi, Can you recommend a good clinic? I would really like to have this done and the prices range so much! I heard an add on the radio the day for optics €495 an eye. I'd rather be safe than cheap though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

post 33 reported

Advertisement