Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    That's a joke surely.

If you click into the thread there's pictures of it on bush and Obamas desk aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you click into the thread there's pictures of it on bush and Obamas desk aswell

It's a buzzer, though I doubt either of them used it for diet cokes on a silver platter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This is it wrote: »
    It's great to see the lack of posts in this thread, Trump is now irrelevant.

It was amazing how irrelevant he became the moment twitter shut him down.

His irrelevance was finally cemented yestetday.

The world moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Stupid idea having a button for diet Coke, should be original coke and cheeseburgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

everlast75 wrote: »
    Charges being brought to Senate this weekend apparently.

https://twitter.com/PunchbowlNews/status/1352340201675358214?s=20

This lawyer had better get a payment on account.

Works on contingency?

No,money down!

• Advertisement

It was amazing how irrelevant he became the moment twitter shut him down.

His irrelevance was finally cemented yestetday.

The world moves on.

Without Twitter and now, without the Whitehouse Press Room, he's lost his two main soapboxes. I honestly expect him to fade away and become a Howard Hughes type figure. Living in his own hotels, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

Donald Trump is like a grown-up Eric Cartman - He can be very lazy, ignorant and have a less than optimal diet, but when it comes to those he feels he's been wronged by, he's relentless in his pursuit of getting even. Whatever lawsuits he's got coming his way, I would say he's going to try and meet them head-on, because that's been his approach throughout his professional life, not to settle out of court and counter-sue. And there's no way he can walk away from the adulation of his base. They worship him as a demigod, so I don't think that Trump, with his ego, will let that go cold. If life allows, I expect to see Steve Bannon coming and going from Mar a Lago quite a bit over the coming months as Trump plots his comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

briany wrote: »
    Donald Trump is like a grown-up Eric Cartman - He can be very lazy, ignorant and have a less than optimal diet, but when it comes to those he feels he's been wronged by, he's relentless in his pursuit of getting even. Whatever lawsuits he's got coming his way, I would say he's going to try and meet them head-on, because that's been his approach throughout his professional life, not to settle out of court and counter-sue. And there's no way he can walk away from the adulation of his base. They worship him as a demigod, so I don't think that Trump, with his ego, will let that go cold. If life allows, I expect to see Steve Bannon coming and going from Mar a Lago quite a bit over the coming months as Trump plots his comeback.

H has settled plenty out of court, including the fake university settlement just as he became POTUS, for allegedly $25m.

What it appears that he does do is attempt to brazen it out as long as possible to put the other side off. He has deep pockets and so uses the cost to try to force others to simply drop out.

But now he is facing, potentially, the US govt and the states. They have unlimited funds and unlimited time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Leroy42 wrote: »
    H has settled plenty out of court, including the fake university settlement just as he became POTUS, for allegedly $25m.

What it appears that he does do is attempt to brazen it out as long as possible to put the other side off. He has deep pockets and so uses the cost to try to force others to simply drop out.

But now he is facing, potentially, the US govt and the states. They have unlimited funds and unlimited time.

He's fcuked.

You'll see an awful lot of Trump's businesses going bankrupt in the next couple of years.

If I was him, I'd withdraw from public and business life and try to enjoy my retirement. And I'd also buy a property with a golf course in a non-extradition country, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He's fcuked.

You'll see an awful lot of Trump's businesses going bankrupt in the next couple of years.

If I was him, I'd withdraw from public and business life and try to enjoy my retirement. And I'd also buy a property with a golf course in a non-extradition country, just to be on the safe side.

Buy with what? The reason why he moved his residence to Mar A Largo is because of the civil forfeiture laws in florida prevent the primary residence (although that in itself is questionable on if he can claim it to be his residence), that screams of a man trying to hold on to whatever he can. He's broke and will end up with a video stream broadcast on some dodgy streaming site hawking suppliments whilst ranting about his stolen election and how great he is

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Buy with what? The reason why he moved his residence to Mar A Largo is because of the civil forfeiture laws in florida prevent the primary residence (although that in itself is questionable on if he can claim it to be his residence), that screams of a man trying to hold on to whatever he can. He's broke and will end up with a video stream broadcast on some dodgy streaming site hawking suppliments whilst ranting about his stolen election and how great he is

He has access to money now. As the law suits pile up, his access to finance will dry up. So he should get going with the dodgy money moving now, while he has the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

briany wrote: »

And much like Cartman, he pushes it too much, has no real idea what he's doing and thinks he's smarter than he really is. Eventually all his plans come crashing down and he's back to the beginning.

Wow, Trump really is a lot like Cartman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sonics2k wrote: »
    And much like Cartman, he pushes it too much, has no real idea what he's doing and thinks he's smarter than he really is. Eventually all his plans come crashing down and he's back to the beginning.

...where he just starts up again, having learned no lessons whatsoever.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He has access to money now. As the law suits pile up, his access to finance will dry up. So he should get going with the dodgy money moving now, while he has the chance.

Access is nothing without the corporate backbone to implement it, no bank will deal with him therefore he can't leverage any assets, his name and brand are trash so there's no licensing deals to be made there, he's zero marketing reach to project a new brand as he's deplatformed, and any spare cash he has will have to be paid upfront to his impeachment defence

Access is nothing without the corporate backbone to implement it, no bank will deal with him therefore he can't leverage any assets, his name and brand are trash so there's no licensing deals to be made there, he's zero marketing reach to project a new brand as he's deplatformed, and any spare cash he has will have to be paid upfront to his impeachment defence

He's fcuked alright. But you can be sure he's not down to his last few bob just yet. He could be like some of our bankrupt people here, e.g. transferring money to Russia, hiding expensive paintings behind fake walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

His immediate access to cash will be the campaign funds he has been accumulating these last few months. But ultimately they could prove his downfall. The temptation will be to great for him to use these funds for his personal needs which will no doubt breach a whole host of laws in the US. That could also be why he is touting his own political party. He may well have to create it to serve as a front to access the campaign funds and attempt to put an air of legitimacy on it. Even though he will know that going it alone is only going to split the GOP votes so ultimately lead to failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

I heard Costco are hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Walmart hire retirees as greeters so he will never be stuck for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Listen to the penultimate episode of Trump Inc.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of revenue streams available to him. Whether they are enough or not, time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭threeball

He can't claim Mar-a-Lago as his primary residence as he signed an agreement with the local town that he would not stay there more than a few nights at a time when he bought the property. He can't even stay there til march or he'll break this agreement which is nothing new for Trump but the agreement is in position so forfeiture isn't an issue there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

threeball wrote: »
    He can't claim Mar-a-Lago as his primary residence as he signed an agreement with the local town that he would not stay there more than a few nights at a time when he bought the property. He can't even stay there til march or he'll break this agreement which is nothing new for Trump but the agreement is in position so forfeiture isn't an issue there.

He'll be forced into choosing to live there or keep the club open.

He can't have both - Under the terms of the deal , if he wants to live there he cannot run the Golf & Country club as well.

Also worth noting , is that if the locals win and they re-affirm the fact that it cannot be a private residence , then that makes it conceivable that he could be charged with Voter fraud having voted twice in Florida (Primaries and Election) without actually being legally resident there.

Just another potential court case pending for the "Law and Order" President

threeball wrote: »

Which is why is said it was questionable, but he's picking his battles thinking he can win the fight against the regulatory authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

But realistically. Nothing is gonna happen to Trump.

He'll carry on being a rich old guy, he'll make bad and dodgy investments. Even if he's guilty, I'd never expect to see him in jail.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sonics2k wrote: »
    But realistically. Nothing is gonna happen to Trump.

He'll carry on being a rich old guy, he'll make bad and dodgy investments. Even if he's guilty, I'd never expect to see him in jail.

On that point I think you are probably correct - They'll talk about his age , "status" and so on to avoid custodial sentences.

However , if convicted they will take all his stuff off him , he'll get hit with eye-wateringly large fines and be barred from ever holding Company leadership roles again.

I think his kids could see some jail time though - The two boys after all are nominally in charge of the Company , so if the allegations around tax fraud etc. are proven , they are in the firing line as well.

It is absolutely no co-incidence whatsoever that the entire family are moving to Florida and all dropping big money on Properties there - Under Florida law a primary family residence can't be touched in terms of bankruptcy etc.

They are circling the wagons and dumping as much cash as possible into "homes" in Florida so that if/when the bailiffs come knocking they have some coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When it comes to Mar a Lago a deal will be done.

When it comes to Mar a Lago a deal will be done.

Hard to see a "deal" being done.

It's a win or lose case really.

Either the agreement he signed 20+ years ago is upheld or it's over-turned.

The locals have never wanted Mar-a-Lago anyway , so they'd be quite happy if he's forced to shutter the club.

I see that the local residences association (or whatever they are called) are also objecting to Jr and Kimberley buying a house in Florida as well..

Think they'll "lower the tone"

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Hard to see a "deal" being done.

It's a win or lose case really.

Either the agreement he signed 20+ years ago is upheld or it's over-turned.

The locals have never wanted Mar-a-Lago anyway , so they'd be quite happy if he's forced to shutter the club.

I see that the local residences association (or whatever they are called) are also objecting to Jr and Kimberley buying a house in Florida as well..

Think they'll "lower the tone"

It's really not that hard to see a deal being done. Expect a lot of sabre rattling back and forth. Loud noises from lawyers and then a deal is struck. Quite common really.

Like most things in life money can silence and smooth over many bumps on the road. The deal will be a buy off.

Of course we are assuming rightly or wrongly that Trump actually intends residing there to begin with. Maybe he doesnt.

Fundamentally , the world is utterly different for the Trump family from now on.

Before he ran for office his entire Business and lifestyle was built on a fabricated story of business acumen and some kind of "midas touch".

A lot of people knew that this was a lie and that he really wasn't quite as successful as he claimed , but it was hard to prove and he was slippery enough to dodge and use spurious litigation to ward off the worst of it .

Now though , the curtain has been pulled back and frankly torn down.

Everyone now knows with absolute certainty that he's really not very good at business and that he is a text book example of a very very bad financial risk.

In the past , when creditors came knocking , he'd re-negotiate and kick the can down the road by promising some future success and then he'd find a new mark to kite the debt a bit further.

Now - As the next tranche of debt starts coming through , no one new will be interested in helping him and existing lenders are going to want their cash on the due date.

And even if the allegations are true and he has taken "dubious" money in the past as those partners looked to wash their money of it's true lineage , none of them will take that risk again as the level of scrutiny of his finances will be beyond intense over the next few years.

The walls are closing in on him and his kids.

It's the classic:

Owe the bank $1m and it's your problem
    Owe the bank $300m and its the banks' problem

• Advertisement

It's the classic:

Owe the bank $1m and it's your problem
    Owe the bank $300m and its the banks' problem

No doubt - But how the banks will choose to resolve "their" problem now will be very different to the decisions they might have made before.

In the past , they were happy to maintain the relationship with him and allow him write down the debt or to refinance and kick the can down the road .

Now though , they'll foreclose or sell the debt on to someone else who will do the foreclosing.

And the speed of that will accelerate massively following his 1st conviction (for any of the pending cases , including Impeachment) should that come to pass.

Advertisement