Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yeah, big loss to them but a big bonus to Clare, then again he might be able to do both while there isn't group work going on

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

I think he'll big a big benefit, Rob Mulcahy who has done work all around Clare could also be a big asset if you ask me. The Clonlara trio back in the panel now, things looking up. My dad has said to me that he thinks Clare will be much better this year in summer hurling (if we get that) and I'm inclined to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I see Gary Brennan has called it a day.

I really admired him as a footballer.

He was an excellent analyst on Seo Spoirt too.

before I begin to I'd like to say happy retirement to Gary Brennan. A truly great footballer, maybe Clare's greatest. A hardy footballer and a great athlete.
    with that aside I'd like to put forward a point by point plan that I think would increase Clare's chances hurling wise that I think would make us contenders again.
    1. Find a center back
    This is a huge one. For any modern inter county team the center back is the glue, the rock of the team. If you look at the most successful teams recently, their leaders and arguable best players are center backs, I'm referencing tipp and Limerick with the Mahers and Hannon, but aswell with some of the other good teams. Kilkenny have Walsh, Cork's Tim O'Mahony has given some good displays and Wexford's Mat O'Hanlon is also a very good center back.
    So for all of the big teams who we've called contenders over the past years, Clare are the only one without a good or outstanding center back. Conor Cleary would seem like a shoe-in but is a much more comfortable full back, and was badly exposed and very uncomfortable at Center Back. He's played well this season at full back.
    Out of the many candidates I'd be unsure if David Mcinerney is big enough but could be a good one, with hurling ability, strength and speed. Diarmuid Ryan is a towering figure and has played some outstanding games for Cratloe there, however I'm not sure if he'd be good enough as a playmaker, and if it's safe to throw him at the most important position when he's never played there at this level before. He's your first choice but he could struggle there in his first few games.
    The other candidate is Pat O'Connor who has played there before, he could definitely fill in the shoes but I don't know if he could complete the position, I'd prefer him at corner back.
    2. Strength and Conditioning
    It's a point often made here that Clare don't look like a very fit side. Okay to a certain level they are, their all inter county players, but their legs seem to go out in the last stretches of matches and it seems to be the winning or losing most of the time. Had Clare kept pushing it could have been much tighter with Limerick and Waterford, and much, much looser with Laois. Brian seems to have recognized this as we have a good strength and conditioning now and I think it could be a huge asset. Of course there's a place for small men, but we can't be sending out a team of small men to play a team like Limerick, Galway or Tipp. Look at the likes of Diarmuid Ryan, a huge lad at 6'4 but carries little to no muscle. I realize all of this is a ground roots problem at underage and at club level for up and coming players but we need to focus on what we have at senior at the moment.
    3.Psychology
    This is a big one for any team, Clare do show alot of character. It's to be expected from a disciple of Loughnan like Lohan, but psychologically they still seem to lack confidence. Shane O'Donnell is the prime example of it, he's a great hurler, all across the country people rave about him. If you ask lads from other counties they'll hit out that he's the model corner forward, but he seems to lack so much belief. I realize he's not selfish and it's a big part of his game, but he nullifies himself as a scoring threat sometimes because when he gets the ball he seem to just want to get rid of it, just pop it as soon as you get it. I disagree with it. He should in alot of cases, take on his man, take on the shot, and score. It seems to echo throughout the team. I think David Fitzgerald is similar, he's a great hurler but he seems to fumble so often because he lacks confidence, its a common thing with young players. I think everyone was there at one stage when they played underage in particular, Just look at Jackie Tyrell.

I'm sorry if that's all a ramble that made no sense, I just have little to do at the moment, so why not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For the hurlers, this is the second year, no time for chopping and changing, a year into anyone's managerial career they should know their key players and the style of play. I'd say we have a great full back in Conor Cleary but if we take him out of full back then we've no full back, we could put McInerney back there again but then we're short in midfield. I would say that Cleary is a lot better suited for 6 than for 3 but the way we seem to be lining up we're protecting the full back line a lot so whoever is at 3 doesn't matter than much as they'll have a lot of protection.

Our problems are from 5 to 12, half backs/forwards and midfield, we've a lot of players coming back who should help, Duggan and Lynch should help the half forward line and Galvin should free up McInerney but 1 or 2 other injuries and we're caught again. We're now 8 years out from winning the All Ireland, 7 from winning the under 21 All Ireland, most of our best players are coming into their late 20s, if they don't perform this year I fear we'll be waiting a while.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    For the hurlers, this is the second year, no time for chopping and changing, a year into anyone's managerial career they should know their key players and the style of play. I'd say we have a great full back in Conor Cleary but if we take him out of full back then we've no full back, we could put McInerney back there again but then we're short in midfield. I would say that Cleary is a lot better suited for 6 than for 3 but the way we seem to be lining up we're protecting the full back line a lot so whoever is at 3 doesn't matter than much as they'll have a lot of protection.

Our problems are from 5 to 12, half backs/forwards and midfield, we've a lot of players coming back who should help, Duggan and Lynch should help the half forward line and Galvin should free up McInerney but 1 or 2 other injuries and we're caught again. We're now 8 years out from winning the All Ireland, 7 from winning the under 21 All Ireland, most of our best players are coming into their late 20s, if they don't perform this year I fear we'll be waiting a while.
    You have a solid point but whose Lynch exactly?
    I don't know how you could claim Cleary is a better 6 than 3. I don't think he ever gave a great game at 6, but he's been such a steadying influence at 3.
    If Galvin frees up mcinerney where does he go then?

Feenie wrote: »
    I don't know how you could claim Cleary is a better 6 than 3. I don't think he ever gave a great game at 6, but he's been such a steadying influence at 3.

Sorry, I meant Conlon, don't know why I said Lynch.

I think Cleary is a great athlete but is prone to over playing a ball, often he might go for it and not get it, when he's at 6 he has cover but at 3 he could leave a goal chance.

1 of the big problems Clare has is we don't know the best positions for a lot of our players, you'd struggle to name the best position for either Cleary, McInerney, Kelly or O'Donnell.

Sorry, I meant Conlon, don't know why I said Lynch.

I think Cleary is a great athlete but is prone to over playing a ball, often he might go for it and not get it, when he's at 6 he has cover but at 3 he could leave a goal chance.

1 of the big problems Clare has is we don't know the best positions for a lot of our players, you'd struggle to name the best position for either Cleary, McInerney, Kelly or O'Donnell.

That's a negative but can also be a positive. Mcinerney can play well at 6,3, or 9. Kelly, 9, 11, 13. O'Donnell is pretty clearly defined, where other than Corner forward? center forward seemed to nullify him as a scoring threat

That's a negative but can also be a positive. Mcinerney can play well at 6,3, or 9. Kelly, 9, 11, 13. O'Donnell is pretty clearly defined, where other than Corner forward? center forward seemed to nullify him as a scoring threat

It's a positive for the likes of TK when he can float from position to position, but when you don't have a defined 3 or 6 it's a negative.

As for SoD, I don't think he's a scoring threat, my views have been well aired at this stage but I don't think he scored in the Championship last year and the year before he just scored twice. I think we got a glimpse of his best role against Wexford when he was swopping back and forth with TK

It's a positive for the likes of TK when he can float from position to position, but when you don't have a defined 3 or 6 it's a negative.

As for SoD, I don't think he's a scoring threat, my views have been well aired at this stage but I don't think he scored in the Championship last year and the year before he just scored twice. I think we got a glimpse of his best role against Wexford when he was swopping back and forth with TK

As I said before his scoring fell hugely because his confidence began to get in the way. He scored 2 points against Waterford and was a scoring threat early on. He lost alot of that threat this year because he was moved far away from goal, again with his confidence he's not gonna take on that shot from the half forward line or the 65.
    if your talking about the year before, 2019, please don't.

• Advertisement

As I said before his scoring fell hugely because his confidence began to get in the way. He scored 2 points against Waterford and was a scoring threat early on. He lost alot of that threat this year because he was moved far away from goal, again with his confidence he's not gonna take on that shot from the half forward line or the 65.
    if your talking about the year before, 2019, please don't.
    2014 - Clare played 3 games, SoD scored 0-1
    2015 - Clare played 3 games, SoD scored 1-3
    2016 - Clare played 4 games, SoD scored 1-6
    2017 - Clare played 3 games, SoD scored 2-4
    2018 - Clare played 7 games, SoD scored 1-8
    2019 - Clare played 3 games, SoD scored 1-1
    2020 - Clare played 4 games, SoD scored 0-2

27 games played, 6-25 scored, that's ~1.5 points per game for an inside forward.

That's a long time with a confidence issues and I don't get the away from goal argument about the scoring, a lot of goals are scored breaking through from the half forwards and often points are easier to come by when out the field as well.

That's a long time with a confidence issues and I don't get the away from goal argument about the scoring, a lot of goals are scored breaking through from the half forwards and often points are easier to come by when out the field as well.

When he plays away from Goal he doesn't have the striking to put it over, his whole goal thing is because his goals are usually so creative and memorable, I view him as more of a threat if he takes his points but of course his goals can come

When he plays away from Goal he doesn't have the striking to put it over, his whole goal thing is because his goals are usually so creative and memorable, I view him as more of a threat if he takes his points but of course his goals can come

I think he gets a lot of leeway because of the replay in 2013 and rightly so, but since then the replay goal against Galway in 2018 is the only goal that sticks out. Looking at his goals, 2019 was straight from the throw in from a wing forward position (his best position not imo), in 2017 he got 2 against Limerick, in 16 it was against Laois, 15 against Offaly, 14 none scored, none of them majorily memorable.

I see him as a threat is he becomes a threat but for the past few years he hasn't been a threat, I just don't see it but I do see potential, he's a game changer/winner that has the ability to win a game on his own but he just hasn't produced the goods for us on any kind of a regular basis but has shown his potential on a few occasions.

I think he gets a lot of leeway because of the replay in 2013 and rightly so, but since then the replay goal against Galway in 2018 is the only goal that sticks out. Looking at his goals, 2019 was straight from the throw in from a wing forward position (his best position not imo), in 2017 he got 2 against Limerick, in 16 it was against Laois, 15 against Offaly, 14 none scored, none of them majorily memorable.

I see him as a threat is he becomes a threat but for the past few years he hasn't been a threat, I just don't see it but I do see potential, he's a game changer/winner that has the ability to win a game on his own but he just hasn't produced the goods for us on any kind of a regular basis but has shown his potential on a few occasions.

it usually takes a big occasion to get something out of him. I.e All Ireland final, he was immense in both games against Galway.
    also people were raving about his 2 goals against Limerick at the time and people were impressed by the goal he got against Cork, however it was low profile so got swept up in the rest of the 2019 campaign. But you saw his scoring threat increase in last years championship when Brian played him closer to goal, the proof was there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Marked Joe Canning out of it a few years ago at Centre back in the All-Ireland Q final.
    Centre back role has changed.

I would say that Clare's best players up the middle would be Cleary, McInerney, Conlon and Kelly. McInerney is midfield now so that leaves Cleary the only defender and we do have a problem at full back, putting Cleary there solves that problem but creates another problem at 6, if we could find a full back it would solve a lot of problems for us but this has been a problem for nearly a decade, even McInerney was a converted forward.

In an ideal world I'd have Cleary almost as a roaming midfielder, or a midfielder just in front of the half back line, he's 1 of our best hurlers and I think having him as a defender confines him a lot, but our defence is the problem, our forwards we could have half forwards of Conlon, SoD and Duggan, full forward of Cunningham, Shanagher and Kelly with subs of Reidy and Taylor, that'd be 1 of best forward setups in the country.

Trying to pick 2 to 9 is difficult, we're 2 or 3 players short of having a team that can contest for an All Ireland, if we could clone Cleary and McInerney we'd be in a good place.

In 2021 I'd like us to go all out attack, I think our only chance is to score more than the opposition because of our shortcomings at the back but to do that we'll have to be 1 of the fittest teams in the country. I fear that we'll setup so defensively where we withdraw players back to protect the backs more that the opposition will just score from out the field like Limerick did against us.

I would say that Clare's best players up the middle would be Cleary, McInerney, Conlon and Kelly. McInerney is midfield now so that leaves Cleary the only defender and we do have a problem at full back, putting Cleary there solves that problem but creates another problem at 6, if we could find a full back it would solve a lot of problems for us but this has been a problem for nearly a decade, even McInerney was a converted forward.

In an ideal world I'd have Cleary almost as a roaming midfielder, or a midfielder just in front of the half back line, he's 1 of our best hurlers and I think having him as a defender confines him a lot, but our defence is the problem, our forwards we could have half forwards of Conlon, SoD and Duggan, full forward of Cunningham, Shanagher and Kelly with subs of Reidy and Taylor, that'd be 1 of best forward setups in the country.

Trying to pick 2 to 9 is difficult, we're 2 or 3 players short of having a team that can contest for an All Ireland, if we could clone Cleary and McInerney we'd be in a good place.

In 2021 I'd like us to go all out attack, I think our only chance is to score more than the opposition because of our shortcomings at the back but to do that we'll have to be 1 of the fittest teams in the country. I fear that we'll setup so defensively where we withdraw players back to protect the backs more that the opposition will just score from out the field like Limerick did against us.

Maybe this setup could sort out that issue?
    Hayes-Browne-O'Connor
    Fitzpatrick-Ryan-Mcinerney
    Hayes and O'Connor are too of the best corner backs in the country. O'Connor is quite underrated in his ability as a tight marker and a ball winner. I've seen him keep Seamus Callanan and Stephen Bennet quite. Not much too say about Hayes, he's sheer brilliant and one of the best finds in 6 years.
    Browne isn't the biggest but is a very physical hurler and I think is tight marking enough to play at 3.
    Fitzpatrick is a big lad and also seems quite fast, I could definitely seem him bursting out with ball, contesting opposition puckouts, and maybe picking off a points aswell. Diarmuid Ryan could take some time to get used to playing center back and needs to fill out but I feel like he isn't really needed as a forward when you consider who we have above. Mcinerney is a big lad, not big enough to play center back but could do well at wing back as a play maker, point tacker and could play a similar role to what he plays at Midfield.
    In saying this unironically I think the inclusion of Jamie Shanahan could make us contenders again, I don't know whats wrong with him, injury apparently?
    One last thing we're planning without Cunningham for 21. He was a good hurler at times but I feel wasn't always able to produce the goods. Shanagher kind of the same, he's definitely come into his own though and is a permanent inclusion in our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

You don't need to be big to play centre back if your sitting in front of the fullback line . Youre two wing backs can cover you as everyone tends to congregate in the middle. Its obviously an imperative that the other two halfbacks have size.The best centre back in Clare is Colm Galvin. Hes got great vision and range of passing like Hannon. What he lacks is physique. But he's managed fine for Clonlara. He's what we need centre back. Both Cleary and McInerney dont have the overall vision or stability to sit and play centre back.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    You don't need to be big to play centre back if your sitting in front of the fullback line . Youre two wing backs can cover you as everyone tends to congregate in the middle. Its obviously an imperative that the other two halfbacks have size.The best centre back in Clare is Colm Galvin. Hes got great vision and range of passing like Hannon. What he lacks is physique. But he's managed fine for Clonlara. He's what we need centre back. Both Cleary and McInerney dont have the overall vision or stability to sit and play centre back.[/QUOTE

The best Sweeper in Clare is Galvin. He's not the best Centre back if the role is not a sweeper role.
    Look at what Limerick do coming through the middle and with puck outs. Size does matter and Galvin matters. It depends on the day if he can play centre back,.

Has Lohan shifted the thinking to bigger players such Aaron Fitz and that Sedna Morey physique isn't large enough for us to win a 70 minute game?

Figerty wrote: »
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    You don't need to be big to play centre back if your sitting in front of the fullback line . Youre two wing backs can cover you as everyone tends to congregate in the middle. Its obviously an imperative that the other two halfbacks have size.The best centre back in Clare is Colm Galvin. Hes got great vision and range of passing like Hannon. What he lacks is physique. But he's managed fine for Clonlara. He's what we need centre back. Both Cleary and McInerney dont have the overall vision or stability to sit and play centre back.[/QUOTE

The best Sweeper in Clare is Galvin. He's not the best Centre back if the role is not a sweeper role.
    Look at what Limerick do coming through the middle and with puck outs. Size does matter and Galvin matters. It depends on the day if he can play centre back,.

Has Lohan shifted the thinking to bigger players such Aaron Fitz and that Sedna Morey physique isn't large enough for us to win a 70 minute game?

I think we have to get away from the sweeper altogether, stop worrying about conceding and concentrate on scoring, we've some of the best forwards on the country but we're more worried about protecting our backs than anything else for far too long

• Advertisement

I think we have to get away from the sweeper altogether, stop worrying about conceding and concentrate on scoring, we've some of the best forwards on the country but we're more worried about protecting our backs than anything else for far too long

“Results over the years have shown that the sweeper isn’t effective,” said Lohan.

“You won’t win big games with a sweeper. There are too many negatives associated with it. You never see Kilkenny or Tipperary employing a sweeper.

“One of the main strengths of this Clare team is that we have very good forwards. You must play to your strengths and you’re not doing that if you isolate them by only playing five forwards. You’re giving an advantage to the opposition because you’re giving their defence more time on the ball and more time to deliver better ball into their forwards.”
    -Frank Lohan
    Okay, I'll grant that you can use it effectively, look at Galvin dropping back in 18'. But overall it's a bad idea. A smart team like tipp could spot a sweeper and destroy it. Just look what happened to poor waterford in 16.

“Results over the years have shown that the sweeper isn’t effective,” said Lohan.

“You won’t win big games with a sweeper. There are too many negatives associated with it. You never see Kilkenny or Tipperary employing a sweeper.

“One of the main strengths of this Clare team is that we have very good forwards. You must play to your strengths and you’re not doing that if you isolate them by only playing five forwards. You’re giving an advantage to the opposition because you’re giving their defence more time on the ball and more time to deliver better ball into their forwards.”
    -Frank Lohan
    Okay, I'll grant that you can use it effectively, look at Galvin dropping back in 18'. But overall it's a bad idea. A smart team like tipp could spot a sweeper and destroy it. Just look what happened to poor waterford in 16.

The smartest team out there is Limerick. Play Kyle Hayes as an attacking wing back. Play a sweeper against Limerick and he maurades up the field. Don't play a sweeper and he has to be beat his own man. Couple that with the way they use a full foward and it's simple. You have to be better that them, all round and for the full match. No simple tactic will open them up.

The smartest team out there is Limerick. Play Kyle Hayes as an attacking wing back. Play a sweeper against Limerick and he maurades up the field. Don't play a sweeper and he has to be beat his own man. Couple that with the way they use a full foward and it's simple. You have to be better that them, all round and for the full match. No simple tactic will open them up.

It's not like it's impossible to open them up.
    If we want to build Limerick we'd need some of Loughane or Cody's psychological ability. They have that fear factor that breaks other teams down and makes them panic and forget their ability. If you break down that wall they aren't quite as dominate. Look at Kilkenny in 19.

Loughnane had the basis of a team who had been (well) beaten in the 2 previous Munster finals who were based on an All Ireland winning colleges team who got to a minor All Ireland final.

We shouldn't be trying to beat Limerick, Limerick are the best team in the country, we should be looking to beat everyone else then having a chance to beat Limerick, it's a bit like the fascination of building pitches the size of Croke Park all over the county, if we don't get to play there there's not much point in prepare in playing there. Of the Liam McCarthy teams, I think it's fair to say that we're behind Limerick, Waterford, Tipperary and Galway, we're ahead of Laois and Wexford and it's open to debate about how we rank against Dublin, Kilkenny and Cork.

We only have a year or 2 with the current crop of players, I don't think it'll be possible to build a team that can beat all the other teams but I do think it'd be possible to build a team that can win matches. If we go toe to toe against the other teams and just go to score more than the other team rather than stopping the other team and hoping to score then I think we've our best chance.

Loughnane had the basis of a team who had been (well) beaten in the 2 previous Munster finals who were based on an All Ireland winning colleges team who got to a minor All Ireland final.

We shouldn't be trying to beat Limerick, Limerick are the best team in the country, we should be looking to beat everyone else then having a chance to beat Limerick, it's a bit like the fascination of building pitches the size of Croke Park all over the county, if we don't get to play there there's not much point in prepare in playing there. Of the Liam McCarthy teams, I think it's fair to say that we're behind Limerick, Waterford, Tipperary and Galway, we're ahead of Laois and Wexford and it's open to debate about how we rank against Dublin, Kilkenny and Cork.

We only have a year or 2 with the current crop of players, I don't think it'll be possible to build a team that can beat all the other teams but I do think it'd be possible to build a team that can win matches. If we go toe to toe against the other teams and just go to score more than the other team rather than stopping the other team and hoping to score then I think we've our best chance.

Funny that when Loughnane took over we had been hammered twice and for years before that hadn't won a championship in since in a long time. Loughnane was asked about it and he said he had enough talent.
    Lohan is in a similar position, but Loughnane was able to bring fitness and control to a new level that others hadn't gotten to, the hurling improved later. We are behind based on last year, and next year is a new year.

Could we beat t the best next year? everything would have to go well and that includes in the background.

Funny that when Loughnane took over we had been hammered twice and for years before that hadn't won a championship in since in a long time. Loughnane was asked about it and he said he had enough talent.
    Lohan is in a similar position, but Loughnane was able to bring fitness and control to a new level that others hadn't gotten to, the hurling improved later. We are behind based on last year, and next year is a new year.

Could we beat t the best next year? everything would have to go well and that includes in the background.

Could we beat all the rest, not a hope, but on a day when everything went right for us and wrong for them, then we could beat any of them. 3 years ago if we beat Galway we'd have had a great chance at the All Ireland.

I think Clare's best chances are to have a run at the qualifiers, if this season is a knock out maybe we could win 2 matches to win Munster but I think a run in the qualifiers to get to a semi final and then anything could happen, bit like 2013 when we got on a run and went from there.

The county needs to stop thinking like this. We can beat any team. Every county needs to stop thinking like this. It's a rule of hurling, any teams can beat any team, hurling is a game with so little in it, and all you need to do is review history to know that.
    there's no comparing Cork and Limerick at the moment, of course, but Cork hammered them in 19' on their home turf. sure, it only read 5 points on the final score line but Limerck were well out done.

aswell in my opinion we're a much better team than Dublin, Kilkenny or Cork. They aren't bad teams and Kilkenny and Cork can really produce special performances but we have more hurlers if you ask me. Clare could have 2 munster titles and then that puts a different complexion on this side, Cork just had that Indian sign over us sadly. It's hard to explain, it just happens sometimes.

The past decade has been by and large made up of "what might have been", if we didn't slog ourselves i the warm up against Cork in the Munster final, if we didn't have someone sent off, if we didn't concentrate on the league final, if if if if Well, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, the fact it since 2013 we've had 1 All Ireland semi final and 1 league, that's not a top ranked team, we're behind the top teams and it'll be a while before we will be a top team BUT we'll be able to beat the top teams if we get everything right.

• Advertisement

The past decade has been by and large made up of "what might have been", if we didn't slog ourselves i the warm up against Cork in the Munster final, if we didn't have someone sent off, if we didn't concentrate on the league final, if if if if Well, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, the fact it since 2013 we've had 1 All Ireland semi final and 1 league, that's not a top ranked team, we're behind the top teams and it'll be a while before we will be a top team BUT we'll be able to beat the top teams if we get everything right.

Again hurling is an inconsistent sport, it's played at such a huge standard that teams and players can burn out quick and fail to hit form time after time. I.E Joe Canning might be the greatest hurler ever but he gets some stick off Galway fans time from time, we've seen it when he struggles Galway struggles, same as some of the top hurlers in the country like Tony Kelly in our case.
    The form of 2018 was brilliant, I mean we beat the eventual all ireland champions, by 11 points, dragged the reigning champions to a semi final replay that most say we should have won, and beat some other top teams like Wexford and Tipp. I think we're a better side than Cork, we were just unlucky they had that voodoo. Also if clare aren't a very top with some of the players we have then their just on the outskirts, certainly better than Kilkenny and Cork, who have brought home silverware in recent seasons.

Advertisement