Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recruitment 2021

• 08-01-2021 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys, thought id create a general recruitment thread for 2021, so that folks can keep eachother up to date. Anyone applying or awaiting a start date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Craigeer

JFlem wrote: »
    Hi Guys, thought id create a general recruitment thread for 2021, so that folks can keep eachother up to date. Anyone applying or awaiting a start date?

I applied in after Christmas and did the psychometric test just last week, in another thread fellas were saying its the medical is what we'll be waiting for due to all the medical staff working with the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JFlem

Craigeer wrote: »
    I applied in after Christmas and did the psychometric test just last week, in another thread fellas were saying its the medical is what we'll be waiting for due to all the medical staff working with the HSE

I applied back in June time. Have completed everything and just awaiting a start date. I heard that there is a platoon for Athlone in March and then Dundalk for April time. Yea bud i would say the wait for the medical was the longest bit, but not ridiculously long just what you would expect.

I applied back in June time. Have completed everything and just awaiting a start date. I heard that there is a platoon for Athlone in March and then Dundalk for April time. Yea bud i would say the wait for the medical was the longest bit, but not ridiculously long just what you would expect.

On the ball bud , best of luck with it.. from cork myself so will just to wait and see , tough time to be starting with everything going on

On the ball bud , best of luck with it.. from cork myself so will just to wait and see , tough time to be starting with everything going on

Same with yourself bud, best of luck for the fitness test and interview. Focus on teamwork, motivation and working underpressure for when it comes to it!!

• Advertisement

Same with yourself bud, best of luck for the fitness test and interview. Focus on teamwork, motivation and working underpressure for when it comes to it!!

How long does it take to get a medical date after you do psychometric test ??

How long does it take to get a medical date after you do psychometric test ??

I was notified of my fitness test and interview about 4 weeks after passing the psychometric test. They usually give you a 2/3 week period of being notified to actually doing the fitness test and interview. Once you pass fitness and interview, it can be a bit if a waiting game for medical as mentioned earlier. This was all my experience and it may be moving at a faster pace, so just keep an eye out on your emails!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 odwyer22

Hi all,
    Currently waiting for the Naval Service Reserve medical, already have completed the interview and the fitness test. I have applied for Cadetships in the past but haven't gotten past the online psychometric test, does anyone have any tips for preparing for them or taking the tests? Hopefully I will be applying again this year if the cadetships go ahead.
    Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JackHiker1995

Anyone any idea on the next cadetship campaign? Normally applications close end of May, so should be opening soon.

Also a quick question is it 26 and under or under 26?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Anyone any idea on the next cadetship campaign? Normally applications close end of May, so should be opening soon.

Also a quick question is it 26 and under or under 26?

Under 26 by the 1st of September usually. It's usually outlined in the document they put out when the competition opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 rayray2002

Hi All,

I applied last year in september for both the army and navy general service cadetship, lost the psychometric test email, Long story short didnt work out!

Reapplied this month for the navy, hoping it works out this time.
    Im not too sure if I should apply for the army one too?
    As the curragh is so close to home, and I have my heart set on the navy down in cork!

Good luck to anyone else going for the df this year!

rayray2002 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I applied last year in september for both the army and navy general service cadetship, lost the psychometric test email, Long story short didnt work out!

Reapplied this month for the navy, hoping it works out this time.
    Im not too sure if I should apply for the army one too?
    As the curragh is so close to home, and I have my heart set on the navy down in cork!

Good luck to anyone else going for the df this year!

Don't apply if you don't feel that it's for you! Best of luck regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rayray2002

BadBannana wrote: »
    Don't apply if you don't feel that it's for you! Best of luck regardless

Thank you ! will keep all updated on the process as it occurs!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Can anyone tell me if there is a course or training or something to prepare for the Psychometric test ? My young lad has applied and got an 'unsuccessful' response, so we don't know what or where he fell down on it.

Is there anywhere offering training or coaching for it, or found an online resource that works ? (I've come across (paid) online stuff from UK, but I'm not convinced it's legit or truly beneficial).

Any help would be appreciated.

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

At Galway Port recently, a Naval officer gave me a source for Psych test prep, but for the life if can't find it I must have picked up the name wrong. I thought he said "Careers Ireland", and he told me he did a course there which prepped him and he passed on his 3rd attempt.

My lad got an "unsuccessful" email today, but zero feedback on how/why/where he's falling short.

I think I'm more upset about it than he is, and I can't figure out why they wouldn't give you feedback to succeed.

Any help appreciated

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Probably https://careerservices.ie/

They've stopped running courses for joining the Defence Forces. The only other place I know if is this crowd: https://www.testpreparations.ie/defence-forces-recruitment-army-navy-air-corps/

For what it's worth, you can get feedback, you just have to request it from the same email. I was able to get the notes and the marking scheme used for my group assessment and interview. That said, if he failed on the psychometric test I'm not sure would he get much use from it.

Many thanks for that, most useful.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Is the psychometric test sent out the first week of the next month after you apply?

Advertisement