Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tumble Dryer broken, capacitor change didn't work

Options
  • 13-01-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a Beko DRVT61W 6kg vented dryer. It was making a low hum sound and heating up at the back when turned on but not spinning.
    So I hoovered it out on the inside and spun the drum lots to help clear out the inner impeller, and put in a new capacitor.
    Now there is no hum or heating at the back when turned on. Only a small click sound, then nothing happens. The dials and electronics all seem ok, but just nothing else happening.

Maybe someone else has had a similar problem before..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

To start with your dryer had all the symptoms of a faulty capacitor, you need to retrace your footsteps and have a look to see if you have displaced something, you mention cleaning out the drum and something about an impeller , ( there is no impeller in there) ; the fact that it is doing nothing have a good look at the door and see if you dislocated the striker that activates the door interlock as without this it will not start, there is also a reset button down the back panel but from your description i don’t think this is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

Thanks a lot for the reply. The electronics seem to reflect the door being closed. Because they change lights when open - and the 'clean filter' light comes on (but I've had a good go at the front area with the hoover and even a straw on the end of it to take everything out of it. The 'impeller' I'm on about is the fan like thing attached to the motor that spins along with the drum, I can reach it through the 3-4 inch pipe outlet. Thought maybe something could be stuck in that so I moved the drum around quickly for a while with the hoover in there taking away all the lint and dust. I can't think of anything else, I must have a look for the reset button, any clues what it looks like or where it should be?

See if there is a rubber type disc on the back panel, if there is one on your machine just push to reset, also take the lid off and push home all the connections of the harness that are attached to the printed circuit board. Make sure it is plugged out before attempting repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Had a similar issue last year with my Beko. I replaced the capacitor and it was still running cold. I removed the panel at the back of the dryer and the reset switch is behind it. Pressed it in a job was good, worked straight away. The switch was triggered due to the vents not cleared of lint and the heating element switches off to prevent potential fire happening.

I think that could be it. Got a chance to work on it just now and when I pulled off the panel to the heaters, there was a massive bit of fluff sitting on top. Wish I'd seen that after switching the capacitor.
    So I reckon it may well have shut off due to the fire hazard. But unfortunately no sign of the reset switch anywhere. Maybe its something built in to the programmer? Maybe there's a code to access it? Any ideas? Few pics attached. Should also mention one of the heaters is a bit springy, feels like it could actually be snapped.

jaybee747 wrote: »
    Had a similar issue last year with my Beko. I replaced the capacitor and it was still running cold. I removed the panel at the back of the dryer and the reset switch is behind it. Pressed it in a job was good, worked straight away. The switch was triggered due to the vents not cleared of lint and the heating element switches off to prevent potential fire happening.

• Advertisement

If I hold down the button for start pause for 3 secs, this shows
    I think that could be it. Got a chance to work on it just now and when I pulled off the panel to the heaters, there was a massive bit of fluff sitting on top. Wish I'd seen that after switching the capacitor.
    So I reckon it may well have shut off due to the fire hazard. But unfortunately no sign of the reset switch anywhere. Maybe its something built in to the programmer? Maybe there's a code to access it? Any ideas? Few pics attached. Should also mention one of the heaters is a bit springy, feels like it could actually be snapped.

There is no reset button in that pic, where the four white wires attach you have two stats, check these with a meter for continuity, normally if temp exceeds the limit one of the stats will fail, some are one shot, more have a pin hole where you can push with a pin for reset. Before you went replacing the capacitor did everything work ok?. The fact the motor stopped rotating it would have no airflow and blown the low limit stat so they need checking

Tried again just now. Thanks to you advice Red Ace I think I was able to get the stats working again. There is a little red bobble in top of the stat that was in an up position as if 'tripped'. Pressing it down has got the machine heating up again. But still no noise out of the motor like initially.
    I tried holding the buttons on the front down together with the door open and it seemed to enter some sort of a feature, where no buttons are responsive - maybe is waiting on some sort of a programme reset? Or is there another stat somewhere else that might need resetting. Maybe have tried everything now!
    There is no reset button in that pic, where the four white wires attach you have two stats, check these with a meter for continuity, normally if temp exceeds the limit one of the stats will fail, some are one shot, more have a pin hole where you can push with a pin for reset. Before you went replacing the capacitor did everything work ok?. The fact the motor stopped rotating it would have no airflow and blown the low limit stat so they need checking

Tried again just now. Thanks to you advice Red Ace I think I was able to get the stats working again. There is a little red bobble in top of the stat that was in an up position as if 'tripped'. Pressing it down has got the machine heating up again. But still no noise out of the motor like initially.
    I tried holding the buttons on the front down together with the door open and it seemed to enter some sort of a feature, where no buttons are responsive - maybe is waiting on some sort of a programme reset? Or is there another stat somewhere else that might need resetting. Maybe have tried everything now!

The other thing I notice in your picture is that the machine is a bit rusty as if it is attracting a lot of moisture. Pull off all the connections off the pcb one at a time and spray them with switch cleaner as you might have a poor connection, other than that I would be thinking damaged pcb

Ok, that seems like something to try. After that it may well be time for the aluminium graveyard

• Advertisement
Advertisement