Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

GT89 wrote: »
    I see that a Go-Ahead Streetlite ended up in the bushes in Tallaght Square last night. Looks like the driver probably left the handbrake off.
    https://twitter.com/TheEchoOnline/status/1351996460779372549?s=19

No driver on board but there has been anecdotal issues with this model of bus. Watch this space, as the saying goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No driver on board but there has been anecdotal issues with this model of bus. Watch this space, as the saying goes.

If it's a mechanical fault rather than driver error it's a fairly serious one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

There are many, many issues with those buses. On any other bus, the door brake would have prevented that from happening, even if the driver had left the handbrake off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

.anon. wrote: »
    There are many, many issues with those buses. On any other bus, the door brake would have prevented that from happening, even if the driver had left the handbrake off.
    Does a door brake work even when doors closed? I thought it only works when doors opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    Does a door brake work even when doors closed? I thought it only works when doors opened.

If the doors are closed the door brake will not be engaged.

• Advertisement

Citrus_8 wrote: »

When you close the door, you have to press the brake pedal to disengage the door brake.

Tickityboo wrote: »
    If the doors are closed the door brake will not be engaged.

Is this the reason why I've seen some drivers leave the front doors open at termini

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Hold/door brakes on most buses/coaches operate via the service brake not parking bake and release when the engine is switched off, some will stay on if the interlock is not engaged other won't.

It's all very well blaming the numpty who forgot to apply the handbrake but there have been numerous examples of runaways across many operators due to the hold/door brake feature actively promoting non-use of the parking brake.

The better designed buses have some sort of warning, the Scanias I drove with hold brakes had a very loud buzzer and visual warning as soon as the engine was switched off with handbrake not engaged, funnily enough none of them ever ended up stuck in a hedge or wall. The VDLs on the other hand had no warnings and a number of them went on ghost trips to the nearest solid object.

Drivers end up taking the blame for these sort of incidents but the generally woeful design and implementation of buses (far worse than trucks and light years from passenger cars) is by far the main problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is this the reason why I've seen some drivers leave the front doors open at termini

Most likely they can't wait till the battery kill switch works as this means you can then close the doors from outside.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Hold/door brakes on most buses/coaches operate via the service brake not parking bake and release when the engine is switched off, some will stay on if the interlock is not engaged other won't.

It's all very well blaming the numpty who forgot to apply the handbrake but there have been numerous examples of runaways across many operators due to the hold/door brake feature actively promoting non-use of the parking brake.

The better designed buses have some sort of warning, the Scanias I drove with hold brakes had a very loud buzzer and visual warning as soon as the engine was switched off with handbrake not engaged, funnily enough none of them ever ended up stuck in a hedge or wall. The VDLs on the other hand had no warnings and a number of them went on ghost trips to the nearest solid object.

Drivers end up taking the blame for these sort of incidents but the generally woeful design and implementation of buses (far worse than trucks and light years from passenger cars) is by far the main problem.

GT does, one can't use centre door on anything else unless application of handbrake.

• Advertisement

Most likely they can't wait till the battery kill switch works as this means you can then close the doors from outside.

...and they're not agile enough to hit the button in the cab and then hurl themselves out before the door shuts on them.
    Vic_08 wrote:

There was an incident in Donnybrook a few months ago where a bus rolled into another. A Streetlite too, if I remember correctly. Also, a Bus Éireann VDL caused a bit of damage in Dublin Airport back in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There was an incident in Donnybrook a few months ago where a bus rolled into another. A Streetlite too, if I remember correctly. Also, a Bus Éireann VDL caused a bit of damage in Dublin Airport back in 2017.

I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of Streetlites myself, I do know plenty who drive them, none seem to like them much.

Thankfully for the driver involved it was quickly confirmed that particular BE incident was mechanical failure and the handbrake had been applied, those are the VDLs I was talking about though.

Stop bus on hold brake or door open: brake stays on. Turn engine off: brake stays on. Exit bus and close door: brake releases after a few seconds. Often the driver has walked out of sight before the bus will even start to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

GAI will have their Saturday Plus timetables back in place from later today until further notice.

https://www.goaheadireland.ie/timetable-change

Their North Dublin school routes will not be operating during this period.

How come Go-Ahead buses never have any ads on them and if they do it's only ever for something to do with the NTA. You'd think they'd want the advertising revenue it generates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

How come Go-Ahead buses never have any ads on them and if they do it's only ever for something to do with the NTA. You'd think they'd want the advertising revenue it generates.

Go Ahead can’t place ads on them as they are NTA owned buses operating on NTA planned services and thus they aren’t permitted to at the moment. Strange I know as it’s an easy source of income that gives the city a bit of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

I think someone here before said that it would have to be tendered as it would be different to DBs setup and they might be waiting until DB changes to the new system ( with revenue going to the NTA, presumably).

I don't understand why the NTA don't put more in-house ads on them in the meantime though.

Go-Ahead Ireland announced a new league partnership with the Dublin GAA.

Details here.

It's great to see Go-Ahead Ireland are making their efforts known to be involved with Irish sport however in the photograph within that link; Go-Ahead have a second-hand Enviro 200 bus in GAI corporate livery right beside the newer SG double decker. Is the Enviro 200 used for the 197 route between Swords & Ashbourne? If yes; why are they using 2nd hand buses on that particular route? And also how many Enviro 200's would they have in the fleet? I would have thought that the NTA may have said to GAI that they would have to use newer buses only for this route's official contract with them.

Go-Ahead Ireland now have a gay pride bus in their fleet with 11589 taking the honours. The difference with this bus is that the gay pride flag is painted right all over it which includes the front of the bus as well. It also matches the gay pride livery of Dublin Bus from previous years.

https://twitter.com/RayMcGrath/status/1404470285080924169/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E32uRc0XMAUBZ9-?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Go-Ahead Ireland now have a gay pride bus in their fleet with 11589 taking the honours. The difference with this bus is that the gay pride flag is painted right all over it which includes the front of the bus as well. It also matches the gay pride livery of Dublin Bus from previous years.

That actually looks really well, especially without the absolute abomination of a livery sticking out from the front of it.

Looks like it's actually painted rather than a wrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ITV2

Since 2018 ? I've never seen TFI/Go-ahead have anything to do with Pride.

ITV2 wrote: »

I would guess they supplied a bus for the parade like db do and red tour bus use to etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

I got this response from DB asking will they be doing one this year.NTA picked GAI this year.

The wrapping of buses is under the remit of the NTA now as they own all the buses so they are wrapping a Go Ahead bus and not a Dublin bus this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I assume it's in reference to Go Ahead operating in Dublin since 2018

The DB pride buses always have a TFI logo on them?

NT6B0425.JPG

Pride buses provided by Dublin Bus 2008-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

I wonder how people will see it now its not covered in yellow at the front .... Looks well I have to say.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

It does look painted on rather than wrapped. Could this be the first Go Ahead bus in the new NTA livery when it looses this scheme?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

I was talking about the ones specifically in the pride livery. Like the Go Ahead one we were actually talking about.

Advertisement