Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Inquitus wrote: »
    They had a massive lead over LR in the race in which they crashed, but instead of taking the right hand gate with an easier manouveur they decided to do a Tack Bear away around the left mark, resulting in the spectacular footage of their boat taking off and crashing down on its side, ripping a hole in the boat below the water line where the Carbon could not take the pressures applied to it and popped.

I believe that a snagged running backstay, preventing the main from being left out was a factor. That, what you said and a big squall.

Edit: Team USA saying that they don't think that the backstay was a big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I believe that a snagged running backstay, preventing the main from being left out was a factor. That, what you said and a big squall.

Edit: Team USA saying that they don't think that the backstay was a big factor.

Aye Hutchinson said that you can't really ease the main that much on these boats and as such they were done for regardless, in his interview. He's very hopeful they will have it back in the water ahead of the SF's on the 29th. Regardless of if they succeed or not their backs must be against the wall at this point as they are rebuilding the boat instead of developing it further, that said they did have it comfortably over Luna Rosa in the capsize race, so perhaps in those wind conditions they have an edge whereas LR has the edge in the lighter winds. Time will tell.

Ineos Team UK just need to beat LR in one of their 2 remaining races to go straight through to the final.

LR v ITUK 1 race Sat and 1 race on Sunday to decide who goes direct to the final and who has to face the rebuilt American boat. LR need to win both races to finish top, ITUK just need one win from the 2 races to seal it for themselves!

Cracking race in the Prada Cup early this morning! Have a watch of the highlights, 9 lead changes between Luna Rosa and Ineos Team UK!

The US Boat is due back in the water on Weds, things are looking good for them with regard to the repairs!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

so just remind me again, the winner of the Prada Cup goes on to challenge the America's Cup holders in the America's Cup right? Is it still the Swiss? Edit: its the Kiwi's

• Advertisement

so just remind me again, the winner of the Prada Cup goes on to challenge the America's Cup holders in the America's Cup right? Is it still the Swiss? Edit: its the Kiwi's
    Yep the Prada cup sorts out the challenger to the holder in the America's Cup, often the Prada cup has been competitive, but the America's Cup not.

1. Ineos Team UK (Best of 13, 1st to 7 wins)
    v
    2. Luna Rose v 3. American Magic (Best of 7, 1st to 4 wins)

V

Emirates Team New Zealand (Best of 13, 1st to 7 wins)

Found some pretty pictures:

m3952_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_1611378373C52E.jpg

m2837_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_1606864138AE5D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I considered staying up to watch it live - and thank goodness I didn't!!!

Made for great watching this morning with coffee though. That poor Race Officer! I was worn out with it all before the race ever got started.

A great morning's viewing.

I take it nobody is up for a token race tomorrow? (I haven't seen anything beyond the finish line of the actual race yet)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I considered staying up to watch it live - and thank goodness I didn't!!!

Made for great watching this morning with coffee though. That poor Race Officer! I was worn out with it all before the race ever got started.

A great morning's viewing.

I take it nobody is up for a token race tomorrow? (I haven't seen anything beyond the finish line of the actual race yet)

No the forecast is for a 20 knot breeze and Ineos Team UK won't risk damaging their boat given there's nothing to be gained from racing and the risk would be high due to the conditions. It's a shame, but it makes sense, so the next race won't be until LR take on the Americans on Friday!

American Magic not at the races today, they struggled at times to control the boat, and lost very heavily in both races. I cannot see them resolving their issues in time for Saturday's 2 races, which I expect to go 2-0 to Luna Rosa again. So we will then have a good break until Ineos Team UK take on Luna Rosa starting on the 13th February!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw some 5 minute Helly Hansen video on Facebook the other day, where they were assessing the repair, and they'd gotten the new section of hull to install.

Some job they did to just get on the water again..

Mad all the same the damage these boats can sustain from nothing but water hitting them at the wrong angle/pressure..

• Advertisement

I sat up and watched the races live (not especially, binged on It's a Sin, which happened to end about 2.30am - can highly recommend!) - what a waste of a few hours' sleep.

I've been reading all sorts of opinions on why AM weren't at the races - boat not set up for that level of windiness, they've lost their nerve after the crash, new systems that they're not familiar enough with yet, mainsail too small so less controllable..... but I thought it was really bizarre that having lost both starts, they then just paraded around the race course after LRPP, slipping further behind at every rounding, without ever trying to get out of phase or do something, anything different.

I also think it's mad that Dean Barker has literally not been seen or heard the whole time - even in the pre-race filler bits, you only ever see the back of his head, or his lifejacket - I haven't seen his face or heard his voice once in this whole series - and he's the helm ffs! And was driving when they crashed - surely his opinion/version would be interesting/instructive? Is he hiding, or are AM hiding him?

All very odd.

I won't be staying up tonight to watch live! And I too expect that LRPP will go 4-0 and that will be that.

Catching up on last night's racing now..... have managed to avoid all spoilers so far....

Even allowing for expectations, that was a fairly ignominius end to the series for AM, you'd have to feel really, really sorry for them (and I'm only at Leg 3, how much worse can it get?? :eek:)

Catching up on last night's racing now..... have managed to avoid all spoilers so far....

Even allowing for expectations, that was a fairly ignominius end to the series for AM, you'd have to feel really, really sorry for them (and I'm only at Leg 3, how much worse can it get?? :eek:)
    A far bit worse in race 2 sadly

Loved seeing LRPP foiling back to base with no sails :D

Jesus, the commentators fairly tortured Terry H with their questioning :(

LRPP seem to have really hooked up their boat, that said they were under no pressure from the Americans in any of the 4 races. Be interesting to see how much Ineos have improved their boat with a whole 3 weeks to bring improvements. The bookies have the odds very close. I think the first couple of races will obviously give us a good idea of where things stand.

It is hard to rate LRPP against American Magic as it is clear that Patriot 2.0 wasn't at the races at all, in this Semi Final. Feb 13th will be an interesting day, I might stay up and watch the first 2 races of the Final, it's very early on Friday morning mind!

TAB NZ America's Cup Odds

i9sbE7H.png

Is it not very early on Saturday morning? My head constantly hurts trying to work out the time differences!

I'm on night shifts for most of that week which is a bonus :D Not for the first day of racing, though, which is a pity.

Is it not very early on Saturday morning? My head constantly hurts trying to work out the time differences!

I'm on night shifts for most of that week which is a bonus :D Not for the first day of racing, though, which is a pity.

Aye, you are right, it starts early Sat morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

See the organisers of the Scottish series are moving the event this year and have no social or shore side activities. Wonder will we see no social or apres sailing this side of the Irish sea over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Mods can tell me if this should be in a separate thread but does anyone know about MMSI numbers? I bought a boat in Spain about 18 months ago from an English guy who had registered the boat in the UK and had a UK call sign and MMSI number. I renewed my Short Range Certificate of Competency licence last year and I’m now applying to the Dept of Transport, Tourism and Sport for a ship radio licence, which gives me a new Irish call sign. But what happens to the MMSI number? Do I get a new one with my new call sign? I’ve checked on other forums and they say (I think) that the MMSI number stays with the boat. It’s all a bit confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

21 Le Boat hire boats washed away in France - shame - some have been sunk. Looks like an entire pontoon was washed away first and then the boats became seperated.

https://www.today24.news/en/2021/02/21-pleasure-boats-adrift-on-the-lot.html

You would see the same types on the Shannon, and possibly the same boats as Le Boat truch them all over Europe.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    21 Le Boat hire boats washed away in France - shame - some have been sunk. Looks like an entire pontoon was washed away first and then the boats became seperated.

https://www.today24.news/en/2021/02/21-pleasure-boats-adrift-on-the-lot.html

You would see the same types on the Shannon, and possibly the same boats as Le Boat truch them all over Europe.
    :eek:

Ben Ainsley and team Ineos not having it all their own way in this series
    (to put it mildly! :eek:)

First two races were a bit of a boring parade, but my goodness the first one tonight was a cracker! First real match race I've seen in the whole thing.

Hoping Ineos can pull something out of the bag this race to keep the series alive

Two near-MOBs adding to the excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

neris wrote: »
    When your americas cup boat sponsored by Airbus goes like a Boeing 737 max
    yandy305411.jpg

Ben Ainsley gave this stunt a good go at the start of Race 4. Came mighty close to breaking something big even without capsizing. He was seriously lucky being swiped by the boom not to have been swiped overboard or worse during that incident.

Race 3 was a cracker - shades of Australia II duking it out in match racing.

It's actually very close racing if Ineos could get the start right but Prada Pirelli have done an amazing job so far and enough to certainly get the Kiwis twitching.

Daibheid wrote: »
    Ben Ainsley gave this stunt a good go at the start of Race 4. Came mighty close to breaking something big even without capsizing. He was seriously lucky being swiped by the boom not to have been swiped overboard or worse during that incident.

Race 3 was a cracker - shades of Australia II duking it out in match racing.

It's actually very close racing if Ineos could get the start right but Prada Pirelli have done an amazing job so far and enough to certainly get the Kiwis twitching.

LRPP trying to bend the Auckland Covid outbreak to their favour and attempt to have themselves declared as the winners with no further racing if needs be, gone down like a bit of a lead balloon outside of LR's own camp. They have been more litigious than the NYYC back in the day, it's not a good look!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

LRPP trying to bend the Auckland Covid outbreak to their favour and attempt to have themselves declared as the winners with no further racing if needs be, gone down like a bit of a lead balloon outside of LR's own camp. They have been more litigious than the NYYC back in the day, it's not a good look!

Looks like racng will now go ahead under restrictions on Friday. They planned for this so easy to understand PradaPirelli frustration. Ineos of course welcomed ,I mean supported, a deferral purely on safety grounds of course and not so they could use the time to go find that missing gear.

Meanwhile the Americans just starting to lick their wounds after a nightmare campaign get hit again. A $200 fine for their fly-by with an Auckland ferry in September, where they exceeded five knots while within 50 metres of another vessel.

I've read that a bit differently, actually - LR want to race, but it seems that they won't hold racing without the whole audience/spectator razzmatazz, but lockdown precludes that.

But the rules say that if racing isn't completed by such a date (25/2?) then whoever is ahead on points is the winner. Dem's de rules, LRPP not trying to bend anything.

Be interesting to see how it all comes out in the wash anyhow!

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/1085_ACE-CURRENT-RACE-SCHEDULE-UPDATE

Lordy me, those Kiwis don't mince their words :eek:

Seems to be turning into a battle of wills at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/1085_ACE-CURRENT-RACE-SCHEDULE-UPDATE

Lordy me, those Kiwis don't mince their words :eek:

Seems to be turning into a battle of wills at this stage.
    Certainly. Blowing rasberries and kiwis is not a good mix!

Advertisement