Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slides to print.

• 19-01-2021 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, this evening I came across half a dozen old KodaChrome 64 slides of my parents wedding (1963) that I'd never seen before.
    Anyone recommend a place to copy them and print them ?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So, came across a crowd called www.HappyIreland.com
    Based in Belfast.
    Website shows lots of local chemists as pick-up points, but those near me have discontinued the service.
    €7 for the first slide, and €1 for each subsequent one printed out as a 6x4 print.
    Might have to tip up to Enniskillen if things ease up, Covid travel wise.
    3 places in that town that act as agents for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you based?
    i'd say several of the well known camera stores in dublin can offer the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

I’ve used Mr Scan Ltd. They’re based in Farnham,England.
    Have a look at their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Depending on the number of slides, just buy yourself a decent flatbed scanner, like an Epson V500/v500/v700 etc and scan them yourself.

Slides can be quite tricky to scan well. If they are under or overexposed too much most scanners will struggle to get the exposure right and may give a colour cast. The best way to scan them is with a drum scanner (these are expensive and hard to come by and I'm sure most places offering to scan slides won't use a drum scanner).

I personally use an older Epson V500 I got about 9 years ago for around AU$350. At the time, the cost of developing and scanning a roll of film in the lab was about $21. Developing alone was about $5 so once I scanned about 30 rolls of film myself, at a higher resolution with better control than the lab I was using, I had broken even.

Another option that may be cheaper is to use an ipad/tablet with a light table app and place the slide onto the tablet to backlight it, then use a phone with a macro lens/setting or a DSLR to reshoot it.

You can also buy slide duplicator. A tube that goes onto a camera, put the slide in the end, hold it up to the light and take a picture. That, I think, could be your easiest and cheapest option.

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/96037/copying-slides-with-a-50mm-lens-instead-of-a-macro-one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the op only mentioned half a dozen slides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement