Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radio Unlocking - DP1400

• 14-01-2021 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

I recently bought a Motorola DP1400 radio. Trying to programme it, but it's asking for a password? I've mailed the seller to see if they know. But if not, is there a way to find out the password or to factory reset it?

Appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

You may have to contact the seller to see what the company it was sold from (hopefully sold from at least) had set as the security on the radio.

Note that this radio is *not* a hobby radio device, and will absolutely definitely need a license to operate in Ireland. My digging into the channel listing has not shown up the exact frequencies in use, but the radio capability far exceeds the amateur bands and is apparently capable of transmitting outside of the licensed non-amateur VHF bands, so it may actually not be legally usable by a private individual in Ireland at least.

Take great care with the use of this.

Maybe you should look at getting your money back from the seller, unless you knew exactly what it was that you bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Is it illegal to own equipment that will operate outside bands in EI?

In G land, its what frequency it's USED not what it's capable of is what matters.

My FT474 is widebanded so technically I COULD operate across most of HF, but because I stay where I'm meant to (including bands what weren't available when the radio was manufactured) I'm good.

but this is in GI, not EI, so I'm open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

Many years ago when working for myself I went to a premises and did my work, got paid all OK.
    On the way out the owner asked me would I be able to 'have a look' at 2 Motorola radios to get them working.
    I knew the local Motorola maintainer at that time so I brought the radios to them.

Thought nothing of it but a few days later I had a Guard at the door.
    Turns out that the radios were stolen originally from a factory.
    I had to go to the station and make a statement, had an old employer ringing me up as well about it.

So be careful, they could be 'hot' !

As for legalities - I have lots of radios capable of transmitting on any frequency - no one is interested unless you start causing interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

As per the Wireless acts, it is in fact an offence to own or have in your possession apparatus that can be used to transmit, unless you have the prerequisite license.
    Once you have the license to possess the apparatus, you are required to only transmit on the frequencies you're licensed for, even if the device can transmit elsewhere.

If you don't have the license to possess the apparatus, you are offending.

Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1926, section 3 (1) appears to cover it, and I haven't seen yet any amendment that covers the radios you have.

Now like a lot of things, it may not be seen as illegal until you're caught, but the text of the law as I understand it covers the offense of having in possession unlicensed equipment.

Just tread carefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

65535 wrote: »
    Many years ago when working for myself I went to a premises and did my work, got paid all OK.
    On the way out the owner asked me would I be able to 'have a look' at 2 Motorola radios to get them working.
    I knew the local Motorola maintainer at that time so I brought the radios to them.

Thought nothing of it but a few days later I had a Guard at the door.
    Turns out that the radios were stolen originally from a factory.
    I had to go to the station and make a statement, had an old employer ringing me up as well about it.

So be careful, they could be 'hot' !

As for legalities - I have lots of radios capable of transmitting on any frequency - no one is interested unless you start causing interference.

Something similar here. A guy that used to go door to door selling fruit and vegetables was always inquiring about my hf aerials.

One day arrived with a big base station unit and a couple of mobiles and asked could I get them working.

Told him no but gave him the number of a company that would sort him.

Enquired later and he never contacted them. Just had the feeling that they weren't sourced legally otherwise they would have been programmed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement