Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interviews with your most inspiring music producers?

• 02-01-2021 5:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Ever just want to put a face to the name, or to the sound?

Sometimes whilst I'm slamming, I become curious as to how a person can understand so well how to compile layers of sound, to generate the affect it has.

Some producers, they want to produce perhaps for radio play.
    Perhaps a sound they think is trendy or popular or will appeal to chicks?
    But some producers, it's like they can see beyond that, to generate a cumulative affect, specific or conducive to a certain environment - that just boosts it, or works there.

See, for me personally - when I'm slamming in a dance or nightclub, if the music can do this, it fills me with a positive energy that's simply attractive.

Example - one night, think it was the end of "race week" or something, I was in this sour freakin' mood.

Was going out with my regulars and me and one dude had this ****in' bitchy row and we were all basically sour.

It's about 12:30 and I'm thinking, "fuck it, I'd be happier just hitting it".

But this DJ just kept playing track after track and knew EXACTLY what buttons to press and next thing before I know it I'm hitting on basically every chick passing me.

The energy and flow of the music playing was so positive and uplifting, it was that, that was basically responsible for me getting laid that night.

That's what I'm saying - good energy is infectious, and a producer that knows how to - produce that - not some crap they think is trendy or popular or appealing to the "in crowd" per se which typically results as being generic garbage, but an actual understanding of what WORKS.

And what works in a nightclub environment I mean, electronic music is kind of a niche genre in itself, and within that genre, there's so much total crap also - therefore I'm simply curious when it comes to understanding the type of mind/character that knows how produce something functional in that realm.

Bit of an essay right there.

Point being, interviews with your favorite producers?

A young Chris Schweizer.

Produces track after track that blows me away, and recently started releasing with a UK producer under the alias "Pathfinders", some really, IMO, cutting edge type sound that is absolutely specific to the dance/nightclub environment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

Are you producing yourself? If so, do mind me asking what your workflow is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

I've been doing simple update bootlegs using one layer, so not a complicated workflow.

Just very simple melody additions at various places.

Using DAW software is actually complicated with a learning curve, so I'm keeping it simple for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

Need to get back into again myself this year. New year resolutions and all that!

Was in to it a bit about 10 years back, using Maschine from NI which was new at the time. Didn't find that workflow suited to be honest. Just started to delve in to Ableton this week.... steep learning curve, been putting it off for years!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

" Being a Duo " ,

• Advertisement

^^ Are you done with dumping random explanation lacking vids in this thread?

Give some background on why the interview is relevant etc.

The entire point is to see how the character behind the music, expresses itself through their production talent.

Chris Schweizer in the opening vid, is a phenomenal producer, but what sets his tracks apart is the precise nature of the production, emphasis on drops which make a huge impact, and specifically kind of high-octane sound in general which works and doesn't sound like typical saucepan banging of many tech trance producers.

That's expressed through production talent, but generated from the character/personality doing the producing.

That's the point of watching interviews - to see the electrical setup of the person producing the electrical sound.

This is the track being discussed in the OP interview.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Doesn't get more inspiring than the puffpastry hangman himself:

Probably along with Adam Ellis, Sam Laxton and Chris Schweizer, one of the most innovative and contemporary tech/uplifting trance producers.

Pffff, back from 2014, 7 years goes by so fast.

A producer who truly understands what it takes to get under the skin of the audience.

Advertisement