Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pelletstown station gets go-ahead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Safer being very much relative. It's scary dark on the canals with a lot of pinch points and then you end up at the five lamps which is one of the worst road in Dublin.

So for a good portion of it you only have to worry about being jumped rather than crushed which is safer I suppose

Not a Cyclist myself,but is it worth asking if similar problems exist in,for example Holland ?

Are there any posters with direct comparative experience ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Safer being very much relative. It's scary dark on the canals with a lot of pinch points and then you end up at the five lamps which is one of the worst road in Dublin.

So for a good portion of it you only have to worry about being jumped rather than crushed which is safer I suppose

It's not scary dark really, I do it regularly. And at this pont of the year it's bright in the morning and evenings. At the height of winter you have lighting.

It brings you out at Whitworth Road, and the way the lights work you then get a free run to Dorset Street before mixing it up with traffic.

You're nowhere near 5 Lamps.

And stop reading tabloids, social media or listening to Joe Duffy , the only people you need to watch out for are the throngs of cyclists and walkers at both rush hours.

I've no idea where else you get your false impression from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's not scary dark really, I do it regularly. And at this pont of the year it's bright in the morning and evenings. At the height of winter you have lighting.

It brings you out at Whitworth Road, and the way the lights work you then get a free run to Dorset Street before mixing it up with traffic.

You're nowhere near 5 Lamps.

And stop reading tabloids, social media or listening to Joe Duffy , the only people you need to watch out for are the throngs of cyclists and walkers at both rush hours.

I've no idea where else you get your false impression from.
    For someone talking about Joe Duffy you've no idea what you're talking about. The canal path carries on past the Whitworth Rd, past Croke Park to the 5 lamps.
    I've cycled it that's where I get my accurate impression. Something you clearly haven't. Also it's not dark when it's bright out? Well that's a wonderful observation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Alright, calm down lads. It’s a decent cycling route but needs improvements, that’s not a controversial thing and there are published plans for it. Those improvements wil be welcomed by all users, and make cycling along here much more safe and suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

So I've read this morning that construction is starting today on the station at Pelletstown. I commute daily from Clonsilla station to Connolly and have the following concerns/queries

1. At rush hour, Trains are already full or close to full (standing and seating capacity) well before they would arrive at this new station.
    2. Will the proposed DART trains add extra capacity to the routes? (will these trains have toilets as current DART's don't)
    3. If not, what are the plans to add extra capacity?
    4. Beyond the peaktimes website and the small carriage addition to the national infrastructure, what are the plans for the commuter routes?
    5. Multiple Housing developments are under construction on commuter routes, are an Bord Planala, the various councils and Transport for Ireland co-ordinating on this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2: Yes, units will be the same size or slightly larger than the 8 car 29000 series commuter trains going on the tender docs - plenty of services are run by 3/4 car 22000s or 4 car 29000s currently. There will also be a higher frequency service.
    The public tender documents do not mention toilets in either the positive or negative so that bits impossible to answer.
    4: There aren't any
    5: TII are fully aware of every new development. Doesn't mean anything is being done beyond the DART planning. I would expect some reinforcement of bus services but probably not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DoctorPan

L1011 wrote: »
    The public tender documents do not mention toilets in either the positive or negative so that bits impossible to answer.

Peter Smythe in his Engineer Ireland talks has mentioned the new DARTs will have toliets due to the longer runs they'll be expected to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Will be toilets, it will just be a 2900 on power that includes a split of 8 and 4 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Good to know, thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Manion

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That's only people living directly between the two stations. Which is probably nobody, at best a handful.

I believe it's close to 243 Units have been built in the Ballymore part of Royal canal park with more under construction. This part would be the the area directly served. However it's the residents of Ashington who will benefit the most, neither Broombrdige nor Ashtown are particularly accessible. The foot bridge would make those stations more of an option but again it''s limited. A 1Km radius from the new station south of the canal brings in a big catchment area almost as far as the park and north of the canal brings in some of the more populous parts of Finglas. If you would like to learn more about this, the planning permission has a full report on catchment.

Btw, yeah, it doesn't help me, I already walk to broombridge for royal canal park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

For someone talking about Joe Duffy you've no idea what you're talking about. The canal path carries on past the Whitworth Rd, past Croke Park to the 5 lamps.
    I've cycled it that's where I get my accurate impression. Something you clearly haven't. Also it's not dark when it's bright out? Well that's a wonderful observation

Do you know the 5 Lamps? There's no canal there, its a few hundred metres north of it at Newcommen Bridge.
    And in a few weeks the rest of the canal will be open to connect to the bit at Guild st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Manion

Do you know the 5 Lamps? There's no canal there, its a few hundred metres north of it at Newcommen Bridge.
    And in a few weeks the rest of the canal will be open to connect to the bit at Guild st.

Some people who don't know the area consider Northstrand to be an area called the five lamps as opposed to the five lamps being a specific spot.

Anyway, if I read you post correct, are you saying there will be a cycle path from newcomen bridge down the guild street? Is there somewhere I could read more about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Manion wrote: »
    Some people who don't know the area consider Northstrand to be an area called the five lamps as opposed to the five lamps being a specific spot.

Anyway, if I read you post correct, are you saying there will be a cycle path from newcomen bridge down the guild street? Is there somewhere I could read more about this.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2020/01/29/the-next-stage-of-the-royal-canal-cycleway-is-due-to-open-in-may-says-council-official

It's well progressed, the article said it was due to open in May, obviously lockdown delayed that, but it should be coming online very soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

MJohnston wrote: »
    https://www.dublininquirer.com/2020/01/29/the-next-stage-of-the-royal-canal-cycleway-is-due-to-open-in-may-says-council-official

It's well progressed, the article said it was due to open in May, obviously lockdown delayed that, but it should be coming online very soon.
    Yeah, there was a six week pause in construction but it should be finished in a matter of weeks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bridge deck is now in place, it could have been there for ages but today is the first morning it's been bright enough to see. Still not that close to done though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Recent photo of progress on site;

https://twitter.com/GraemeMcQ/status/1371462835918749696?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1371462835918749696%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.skyscrapercity.com%2Fthreads%2Fdublin-royal-canal-park-phase-iii.1842436%2Fpage-2

If its not too much hassle, and they agree it is a good idea, would Mods be able to merge this one with this other thread to have one thread with the full history of the project;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057255589

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good to see the new pedestrian bridge over the canal there.

There should be a review of access to stations all over the network to see where improvements can be made.

Platform surface, benches, poles for displays, frame of shelter gone up on the inbound side in the past few days. Didn't see the outbound side as I wasn't on that side of the train

Still quite a bit left to do though

TVMs in place now. Was to be "Summer 2021", there were some COVID delays but not that much so I wonder will it still somehow sneak that (open by end August).

Hopefully this also gets Irish Rail to replace the decade or so old route maps on the 29000s, with something that shows the Luas Green Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Pelletstowns more or less done now, CIS boards are installed and everything and most of the landscape work is completed. Only some railings still left to be installed. Station is due to Open in late September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Mate sent me this photo (seen in one of the Facebook Groups) of a 22000 class train stopped at the station today - seems like they're doing the final tests now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I thought they weren't allowed use curved platforms any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

The rare intersection of trainspotting and espionage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think that the zoom lens is exaggerating the curvature - it's a very gentle bend as opposed to the suggested locations along the PPT line that some people thought were suitable for a station for example.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It looks worse than it is. The telephoto lens is compressing the background.

Notice the full colour screens for PIS rather than the dot matrix everywhere else has.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Opening date should be announced next week

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Even sooner than next week, it was announced a whole day later. 26th September is the date, not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

IÉ have also said on Twitter today that a new working timetable for Connolly, Intercity, Commuter & DART for Sept 26th will be up online from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So any big changes to the timetable?

Advertisement