Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shotgun not broken walking on Public Road

• 17-01-2021 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Out for a cycle, I came around a corner and 2 lads walking across the public road towards a vehicle, 1 had Shotgun Broken the other did not, Is that legal as I felt threatened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You didn’t really feel threatened, did you...?

Petal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Very bored op to be stirring the pot with that trash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

TimHorton wrote: »
    Out for a cycle, I came around a corner and 2 lads walking across the public road towards a vehicle, 1 had Shotgun Broken the other did not, Is that legal as I felt threatened.

The 1st gun was a break action. Perhaps the other one wasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Probably a pump action, or semi automatic shotgun, they don't hinge in the centre, you'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

How did you feel threatened, was the shotgun pointed at you, did the person holding the gun look at you in a menacing way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Out for a shoot, I came around a corner and a lad cycling across the public road towards me, he was going really fast, Is that legal as I felt threatened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Were they coming from a post office?
    Otherwise, just how in the name of fu¢K did you feel threatened?
    And did the Guard hold your hand to calm you down when you reported this threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

So as expected Loads of Hot Air from ye, Simple question, Is it legal? I have the reg of the vehicle and I intend to report to the Gardai later this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

So as expected Loads of Hot Air from ye, Simple question, Is it legal? I have the reg of the vehicle and I intend to report to the Gardai later this afternoon.

If you suspect a crime has been committed then report it to the Gardai, this is the shooting section not a legal discussion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

They'll ask the same questions we did and tell you to have a Happy Sunday.

There isn't a hint of anything illegal whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

If you felt so threatened for your life at the sight of a firearm, why is your first reaction to post about it on a public forum. If you feel as threatened as you did why not ring the AGS immediately rather than waiting until this evening to do it. But no you decide to come in here and rant looking for legal advice from strangers in the shooting community.
    You really do have to wonder at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

solarwinds wrote: »
    If you felt so threatened for your life at the sight of a firearm, why is your first reaction to post about it on a public forum.

I’d imagine it’s because it didn’t happen, but the OP wanted to start a thread and this is what came to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

endacl wrote: »
    I’d imagine it’s because it didn’t happen, but the OP wanted to start a thread and this is what came to mind?

Probably should have posted it in the Fishing forum then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

How did that go for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Don't b such a snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

As far as I'm aware, no, but then again you've only given us so few details. Was the shotgun even able to be broken open, was this in the middle of a city or across the road from a clay range or a farmer's field? Were they coming out of AIB wearing balaclava's and firing shots off? There's no law saying you have to disassemble your shotgun while in transit, only in certain storage conditions in your house. The whole 'breaking a shotgun open' thing is for safety so you don't have a negligent discharge, but that's nul and void if there's no cartridges in the gun, which was probably the case here. If you want to have a look at the law, that would be a good idea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This is not the legal forum and unfounded accusations designed to cast the 100% legal activity of field sports into a bad light will not be permitted knowing full well it'll only serve to provoke an argument.

To the OP. Your first, and ONLY, course of action should have been to contact the authorities if you believe an offence has been committed and let them deal with it.

To everyone else, when such a thread is started we ask you report the post(s) and allow the Moderators to deal with it.

Thread closed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement