Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-COVID gigs...

• 03-01-2021 4:21am
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We’re all starved of a good gig and a decent night out with good music, so there is no reason not to reminisce. Question is, what were the last three metal gigs you attended and if you wish any stories you have from the night.

My last three gigs were:
    Babymetal in the Apollo in Manchester.
    A Christmas present for the missus last year who, ironically wanted to see them before they grew too old and disbanded. Little did we know it would be the last gig we’d attend for some time!

Abbath in Barcelona.
    My brother got me this as a Christmas present - what an absolute belter of a gift! Always wanted to see him or Immortal live. He didn’t disappoint, intense show from start to finish. An added bonus was seeing David Vincent and Flo Mournier perform with Vltimas. Great gig!

Devin Townsend in Belfast.
    What more can you say, Devin Townsend is simply one of the best performers out there. Just an excellent gig.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

You have exquisite taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ghost, 3 Arena

Great show, surpassed expectations

The Darkness, Cork
    Not quite metal, but was last one before lockdown (kid born in February so wasnt expecting to attend many last year anyway). Went for meal beforehand and drummer and bassist were sitting beside us. Didnt interrupt their dinner though, but very strange seeing frankie poullain having a glass of wine in full matching adidas tracksuit and top. The Darkness were also first band I saw live (Metallica 2003 gig), so rounded off gigs pre-kids nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,702 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

god i miss gigs

Last and only 2 metal/rock gigs were

Slipknot in the 3Arena 14th Jan 2020- 2nd time seeing them (First was in 2015) it was ok and enjoyed them more the first time i saw them. Reckon it was more to do with the bad seat i had last year (was sandwiched in the middle of the row). Id prob end up going seeing them again

Tenacious D in the 3Arena 10th Feb 2020- Enjoyable nostalgic gig, wasant a fan of the opening segment which was the whole new album that i didnt have a clue about beforehand. The 'Greatest hits' part of the show was great esp 'Low hanging fruit', Kickapoo' and 'Tribute'

Saw Paddy Casey last september but you wouldn't call that rock/metal :pac::pac:

Lets hope by the end of 2021 i see a gig or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm actually struggling to remember

I did see CKY in January 2020 in Newcastle opening for a few other acts, and I was really happy about that because last time I'd seen them was Feb 2004 in the Ambassador in Dublin! So a lot has changed.

I saw Gary Numan last year in Newcastle, England, and he was absolutely fantastic.

Before that - I've actually got to have a think about that. There were a few I missed (like Slipknot and Def Leppard, that I wanted to see) but I'm not exactly sure who Rock/Metal wise I went to see before Numan. Possibly Bowling for Soup and Simple Plan in the same venue comes closest! That was also a pretty cool gig.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Caught The Aristocrats on the 3rd March. Wasn't sure about going as I'd seen them twice before previously but I enjoyed the new album and it ended up being an excellent gig.

Glad I decided to go in the end as the everything shut down a week or so later!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Last 3 metal gigs I attended.

Slipknot in 3 arena last January. First time seeing them, still annoyed we didn't get spit it out.

Metallica in Twickenham in June or July 2019. First time seeing them too, good gig but wouldnt be in any rush to see them again.

Decapitated in Voodoo Lounge in February 2019. Absolutely smashing gig, would 100% go to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bit of a snap with the OP for my last gig!

Abbath London Islington Assembly Hall Jan 2020. Missed Vltimas despite being a Dave Vincent fan. Hilarious highlight the man himself proudly showing off the bottle of water he was supping, given his 'troubles' with drink in South America not long before.

Immolation / Ragnarock London Boston Music Room Nov 2019. First time seeing Immolation in a LONG time.....won't make that mistake again, they always deliver.

Nile / Hate Eternal London Tufnell Park Dome Sept 2019. Hate Eternal and Nile doing their usual.....was baking hot that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Sacred Reich in the Voodoo Lounge Dec 19- decent gig.

Testament/Exodus/Death Angel - National Arena -Mar 2020 the Covid gig! most of the bands came down with Covid after this tour, surprised that half the crowd didn't! mad mosh - not alot of social distancing, possibly the last metal gig in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Not sure if it counts as a concert but the last event I was at was Bruce Dickinson in the National Stadium, in late December 2019.

The last concert I was at also involved Mr Dickinson. I went to see Iron Maiden in Rock in Rio in October 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭RayCon

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Caught The Aristocrats on the 3rd March. Wasn't sure about going as I'd seen them twice before previously but I enjoyed the new album and it ended up being an excellent gig.

Glad I decided to go in the end as the everything shut down a week or so later!

Snap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Last gigs I was at in 2019-2020:

Nov - Machine Head - Ghost
    Dec - Devin Townsend - John Corabi
    Jan - Slipknot
    Mar - Testament/Exodus/Death Angel

Amongst those were some of the Metal 2 The Masses gigs in Fibbers. I really miss gigs.

Advertisement