Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

There are hedgehogs everywhere!

2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I sawed a hole in the bottom of our fence in the side alley to allow animals through (the hog showed up a few days later coincidentally). Have a few in the fence along the back. Ideally you would have ones in the side walls too to link with the other back gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah.
    There's this blue coloured one all over the place. Even on the side of buses.

I'll get my coat :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I sawed a hole in the bottom of our fence in the side alley to allow animals through (the hog showed up a few days later coincidentally). Have a few in the fence along the back. Ideally you would have ones in the side walls too to link with the other back gardens.
    i was talking to a couple of lads who were proposing a 'knock a block out' campaign for suburban back gardens, where you'd, well, knock the bottom block out somewhere along your garden wall.
    two problems for me with that unfortunately - one is the wall is poured concrete, and the second is that it would let the little bastard corgi from next door into our garden.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i was talking to a couple of lads who were proposing a 'knock a block out' campaign for suburban back gardens, where you'd, well, knock the bottom block out somewhere along your garden wall.
    two problems for me with that unfortunately - one is the wall is poured concrete, and the second is that it would let the little bastard corgi from next door into our garden.

I've seen a few people use things like these if they have wooden fences: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/303196908256

I'd happily make a hole in mine if I could but I think it would compromise the structure too much (concrete also). we're not too bad anyway s there's field behind our house so there's plenty ways for them to get access.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've seen a few people use things like these if they have wooden fences: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/303196908256
    They must have money than sense...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Esel wrote: »

I love it + have told my husband we are getting one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

appledrop wrote: »
    I love it + have told my husband we are getting one!
    I see now that you get 6 for that price, so you could sell a few and make your money back!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Esel wrote: »

More money than 'fence' I'd say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I'm mid 40's now but I can remember back when I was a kid we would very frequently see hedgehogs rolled up in to a ball on the roads but it only dawned on me recently that I haven't seen any anywhere in many years now. We live in farming country on the limerick / tipp border.

Which got me thinking are there any hedgehog rescues that need people to reintroduce rescued hogs into the wild . Do they roam far. Anyway of building up a hog population in my local area?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

There is still a relatively healthy population of Hedgehogs countrywide, unfortunately the only indication is usually a flattened body by the side of the road.
    On the case for reintroduction it may not be as simple as it seems. If, as you surmise, they are absent from your area there is a reason for that. You have to look a step further back and try to identify the possible problems. Habitat loss and more intensive farming practices would probably be the biggest issues. No doubt roads/motorways cutting a swathe through the countryside also add to pressures.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭denismc

I'm in Cork and there seem to be plenty down my way, I had 2 different ones calling to the garden last year but unfortunately both ended up dead.
    I think a lot depends on habitat, there is still plenty of hedgerows near where I live and parts of my garden are left semi-overgrown to encourage wildlife.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: Threads merged.

Advertisement