Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking decorations down. 6th or 7th?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In our house we took them down morning of the 7th but I’ve left up the front garden lights and we have some candles still on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Loughc wrote: »
    Personally I find it strange that people take down their Christmas decorations while it’s still Christmas.

Lot of ppl can’t stand what they see as “clutter” and want rid as soon as Christmas Day is over

I have a cousin like this so I have a little bit of insight into the mindset.

Let them on!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Lot of ppl can’t stand what they see as “clutter” and want rid as soon as Christmas Day is over

I have a cousin like this so I have a little bit of insight into the mindset.

Let them on!
    Know people who tear down everything just after the Christmas dinner
    Wont thinking about that

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I've just taken the Christmas tree down! I'm keeping my mantle fairy lights and kitchen fairy lights as It's just too dark and not cosy.. that was tough but actually looking forward to giving a proper clean and getting some space back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I took the wreath off my front door today. Everything else still up and tree lighting. In fairness I'm blessed with a huge sitting room so plenty of space for the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Caranica wrote: »
    I took the wreath off my front door today. Everything else still up and tree lighting. In fairness I'm blessed with a huge sitting room so plenty of space for the tree.

We left our wreath on the front door as well. We have a bright red door so Christmasy anyway and the wreath really sets it off so have decided to leave it there indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

ha ha - I said to my OH shortly after NY how it would be nice if we all kept our xmas decorations up for the month of Jan (giving the times that are in it).. I was kinda joking - kind of..

anyway not long after I heard about the folk in Roscommon who are gonna leave the Christmas lights up in the town for the month of Jan - again, due to the gloom.. kinda nice to know i wasn't the only one with this idea.. lol

anyway, we took of decorations down - on the 7th.. twas a nice idea to leave em up but glad I didn't - enjoying the lack of clutter lol...

tea lights and nice candles... thats the compromise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

sporina wrote: »
    tea lights and nice candles... thats the compromise :)

Same in our house. Creates a nice light in the front room when main lights off and just a uplighter and fairy lights on. Candles when kids gone to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Tea lights a staple in our house. The Mrs loves them & candles. Battery operated fair lights are used in vased plants (the long fake ones) too which always give a nice 'seasonal' glow.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Don't know if this was posted already but two villages in Meath, Ballivor and Kildalkey have voted to keep their trees and lights up and lit for the month of January to keep a bit of cheer around the place. Nice idea.

• Advertisement

Don't know if this was posted already but two villages in Meath, Ballivor and Kildalkey have voted to keep their trees and lights up and lit for the month of January to keep a bit of cheer around the place. Nice idea.

We have friends living in Kildalkey... must ask them have they left their lights up!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Tea lights a staple in our house. The Mrs loves them & candles. Battery operated fair lights are used in vased plants (the long fake ones) too which always give a nice 'seasonal' glow.

they are a staple in this house too, but I raising it up a notch now (in the absence of the xmas light and the times we are in)

twill be even nicer when more stores are open where I can get some nicer candles and other tea light accessories

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have the luminara battery operated candles at home and they are lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

We have friends living in Kildalkey... must ask them have they left their lights up!

It's the community lights and tree they are leaving up, locals said they would chip to keep them lit, if you go on LMFM website it is on it.

My Dad is from Kildalkey, born and raised :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I want to live there now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Kilcock and Maynooth have left the town Christmas lights up. I tend to have Yankee candles on the go all year. If they happen to be Christmas scented all the better

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So yesterday being Candlemas . the lights and Crib are away.. Looks rather fine now actually.. It is lighter at early evening and in the morning now too .

We have had candles for Advent, Christmas and all its 40 days all through the darkest days of winter. Now spring is not far away.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Now spring is not far away.

Spring started 2 days ago on February 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The potted mini christmas tree (M&S) and what probably should be described as christmas ferns (LIDL, Supervalu) are still alive... decorations are up while they still are still going :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So yesterday being Candlemas . the lights and Crib are away.. Looks rather fine now actually.. It is lighter at early evening and in the morning now too .

We have had candles for Advent, Christmas and all its 40 days all through the darkest days of winter. Now spring is not far away.

never heard of Candlemas before.. nice idea..

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    never heard of Candlemas before.. nice idea..

A very old Christian tradition. All the seasons have forty days; Lend, Easter . SO we have had candles for Advent, Christmas, and onwards, all through the darkest of months.

No way. Pagan idea. March 25the or thereabouts for Candlemas folk

I am quitting anyways .

Bye....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Checks the weather forecast for next week...
    Still looks like deep winter to me.

I think things have shifted later weather wise.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No way. Pagan idea.

I am quitting anyways .

Bye....

No need to be so defensive, none at all.

Might I suggest though that you explore the history behind most Christian festivals and feast days. Might surprise you. I know it did me when I looked into the traditional celebrations.

FWIW we were taught in school the seasons were as follows:

Spring = February, March, April
    Summer = May, June, July
    Autumn = August, September, October
    Winter = November, December, January

I appreciate the weather folk have different ones but that's the traditional ones we were taught. Hence referring to February as the start of Spring.

No need to be so defensive, none at all.

Might I suggest though that you explore the history behind most Christian festivals and feast days. Might surprise you. I know it did me when I looked into the traditional celebrations.

FWIW we were taught in school the seasons were as follows:

Spring = February, March, April
    Summer = May, June, July
    Autumn = August, September, October
    Winter = November, December, January

I appreciate the weather folk have different ones but that's the traditional ones we were taught. Hence referring to February as the start of Spring.

Not at all defensive (???). Just affirming. And as a theological historian li I am very fully aware of what you refer to . And it really is totally irrelevant And yes I know the Irish customs well but that is not my culture or custom. Nor are other aspects you mention so ? Spring is March in our culture.

As if it maftered!!!!! lol...

The things you refer to were needful and valid at the time and not at all to be condemened. It was a very practical a great kindness to folk, and to society. A vital time of course but that was long ago and we have passed that now. It is no longer relevant; just very old history and what was needful at a time of need and a thing of beauty and loving kindness in its own way at that time of history .

And Candlemas remains a lovely and meaningful tradition for many of us.

May peace be with thee.

I really do have to go now if you will excuse me. Illness limits too much these days for this ancient crone and I am in more pain than I can handle, tonight

Thank you. It has been an interesting encounter . lighting a candle time in many ways indeed. Christmas extends and spreads the year through as this forum knows and honours.

Not at all defensive (???). Just affirming. And as a theological historian li I am very fully aware of what you refer to . And it really is totally irrelevant And yes I know the Irish customs well but that is not my culture or custom. Nor are other aspects you mention so ?

Thats an.interesting stance to take.

However its not up to you to decide whatsoever as to what's relevant or not, its merely an opinion you have, and have no more right to one than i have, furthermore just because your customs are different it doesn't make others wrong. I explained the reasoning behind my post whilst you merely dismissed my posts as irrelevant.... interesting attitude.

Im fully aware you have history on here and don't like being called out on your engagements on boards so I think it best if I not engage with you any further.

Good day to you.

I note you have changed your post from the original one but my sentiments still stand. Stay safe and take care.

Advertisement