Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tag Heuer Formula 1

Options
  • 09-01-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a used Formula 1 ladies watch (and maybe a Carrera 16), is chrono24 the best website for this or can anyone suggest an Irish site ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Looking to buy a used Formula 1 ladies watch (and maybe a Carrera 16), is chrono24 the best website for this or can anyone suggest an Irish site ?

If you are looking for used then yeah chrono is your best bet. Tonnes of places sell them in Ireland new but I guess you could take a look at adverts.ie for used too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

There's a lad on adverts in Fermoy I think who seems to have a ready supply of quartz tags for between 600 and 900 quid. I always think they look fantastic but I have the Internet on my other shoulder shouting in my ear that they're sh1te, overpriced muck that I'd be an idiot to buy and shunned and shamed from every horological corner

I find people like to sh1t on Tag just because it's fashionable to do so. They are what they are, good quality entry level pieces. Probably similar to a lot of Oris and modern Longines. There's nothing wrong with them at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

redlead wrote: »
    I find people like to sh1t on Tag just because it's fashionable to do so.
    This. And not so long ago they were very fashionable among many of the same people who decry them now. At one point they were the "entry level luxury watch" for many and had huge brand recognition beyond watch collectors. IWC has suffered a similar downgrade over the years. If you like one I certainly wouldn't buy one new, but buy used and you can't go wrong.

Vintage Heuer are extremely buoyant, though have trailed off a little of late, mostly down to lack of dealer supply in my humble(which drives the market more and more). Though having had a few vintage examples down the years I'll say this; the quality went right up under TAG's stewardship. The original company were more a design house - but they had some real beauties in that mix - than a "quality" Swiss marque, who bought in movements, or even whole designs and whose record keeping was beyond dire. There's a reason why they flirted with insolvency a few times and not just in the "quartz crisis". TAG elevated them in a few important ways and increased innovation too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I associate Tag with motorsport which is of no interest to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The only watch I've actually dived with (Open Water and Advanced open Water licences) was a TAG F1 Pro chrono.

My first good watch. Now heading for 20 years in my possession, bought form new.

I also associate the brand with motorsport, which is why I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I find their watch branding/logo to be absolutely awful looking and ruins anything it's on. Especially if it's the green and red one.

You've pieces with a lot of thought given to the colour and nuance of the dial and then they come along and stamp this big green and red monstrosity on top with no allowance as to how it might interact with the existing colours on the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've fancied that blue quartz Aquaracer that's on adverts.ie for a long time. It's overpriced, your man is prepared to come down nearly 30% from his asking price, but still overpriced at that. For sale about a year now. You'd think he'd have got the picture by now :p

Hes taking the mick with that price, definitely worthy of the dreamer thread. You can get brand new ones grey market for 1100.

I have to say the newer models like this one are tasty. I think my only likely purchase this year will be an entry level diver and I'm swinging towards quartz because I just want something to throw on when I'm going swimming which I do a fair bit of in the summer. I like the look of the Longines Hydroconquest in the same bracket too. I just don't really enjoy wearing sh1ters as my beat watch anymore. Need something that's expensive enough to be good quality but not too expensive that I would really care if anything happens it. Micks address goldeneye seamaster would actually have been perfect, just wrong time of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hes taking the mick with that price, definitely worthy of the dreamer thread. You can get brand new ones grey market for 1100.

I have to say the newer models like this one are tasty. I think my only likely purchase this year will be an entry level diver and I'm swinging towards quartz because I just want something to throw on when I'm going swimming which I do a fair bit of in the summer. I like the look of the Longines Hydroconquest in the same bracket too. I just don't really enjoy wearing sh1ters as my beat watch anymore. Need something that's expensive enough to be good quality but not too expensive that I would really care if anything happens it. Micks address goldeneye seamaster would actually have been perfect, just wrong time of the year for me.

It didn’t travel to far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think my only likely purchase this year will be an entry level diver and I'm swinging towards quartz because I just want something to throw on when I'm going swimming which I do a fair bit of in the summer. I like the look of the Longines Hydroconquest in the same bracket too. I just don't really enjoy wearing sh1ters as my beat watch anymore. Need something that's expensive enough to be good quality but not too expensive that I would really care if anything happens it. Micks address goldeneye seamaster would actually have been perfect

Ha! That was exactly my thinking last year when I bought a Seiko Tuna quartz (since released). So when Mick's Seamaster came up I thought same again. With my fake Seiko gone back to the seller (hopefully for a refund) that left me only with the Rolex which was not yet officially on my insurance at that point, so I was loath to take it out late at night in my local poorly lit park walking the dog. And I had some cash from sales of other stuff, my bank doesn't do cash and the local credit union is closed because of COVID and I do not like having cash in the house - so perfect storm to buy the Seamaster :D

Advertisement