Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should ownership of cats be banned?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

touts wrote: »
    There is a neighbours cat who keeps ****ting in my veg garden. I've seen it do it and chased it off. I've said it to the neighbour who doesn't give a damn. Have tried netting, scent, ultrasonic etc. Bastard cat ignores it all. Every time I dig in the garden it's full of cat **** so I am very worried about the parasites in the vegetables. Very close to setting a few rat traps around my veg patch and letting it go back to the neighbour with a leg missing. I know that sounds awful but it's at the point where I see the neighbour not caring about the parasites my children could be picking up from his cat. Children vs cat. Well sorry but the cat loses that debate every time.

Have you any plans for stopping the rats, squirrels, foxes and other animals that are also crapping in your garden getting their parasites onto your vegtables?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

tjhook wrote: »
    The ideal solution might be to have the facility to capture roaming cats and bring them to a pound, where there's a cost for their release. But realistically, there won't be anything like that put in place.

Home owners will just be expected to put up with local cats crapping and killing in their property.

However, those selfish owners shouldn't be surprised if Fluffy "runs away".

O.k, firstly I think using something that might injure the cat is a no no. It is unnecessary, and may get you in big trouble. There are lots of options out there that you can try. How about one or two of those little water jets which you attach to a garden hose, that spreys water at the cat as it passes by? Laying cucumber around is meant to deter cats, but not sure how well they work. Another idea, is too use a live catch trap, and hand it into shelter. As far as your concerned, its a stray.

Have you any plans for stopping the rats, squirrels, foxes and other animals that are also crapping in your garden getting their parasites onto your vegtables?

Well I presume nobody likes the idea of faeces in their salad.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Well I presume nobody likes the idea of faeces in their salad.

Which is probably why people generally wash all vegetables, even shop-bought vegetables before cooking. It's not really a great reason for turning your back garden into a scene from Vietnam, knowing that it really won't solve the problem anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not sure what a fox can pass onto humans, but toxoplasmosis is something cats can pass on.

• Advertisement

Not sure what a fox can pass onto humans, but toxoplasmosis is something cats can pass on.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/toxocariasis/

From http://www.foxolutions.co.uk/index.php?main_page=fox_problems
    • Toxocariasis
    • Weil’s disease (Leptospirosis)
    • Hydatid disease
    • Sarcoptic Mange
    • Fleas and ticks

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

Eddie B wrote: »
    There are lots of options out there that you can try. How about one or two of those little water jets which you attach to a garden hose, that spreys water at the cat as it passes by? Laying cucumber around is meant to deter cats, but not sure how well they work.

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

The other option you mentioned - (trapping and handing into a shelter) sounds fine, but I wouldn't think the staff there would be too interested in accepting regular deposits.

Which is probably why people generally wash all vegetables, even shop-bought vegetables before cooking. It's not really a great reason for turning your back garden into a scene from Vietnam, knowing that it really won't solve the problem anyway.

Yes but if you went to the shop to buy some lettuce, and it smelt of cat p**s, or was smeared with faeces, you'd probably not buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

One dead cat is hardly a scene from Vietnam. Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

A local farmers shoots foxes. I use rat poison in my shed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

touts wrote: »
    A local farmers shoots foxes. I use rat poison in my shed.

Really need a sentry gun from aliens.

https://youtu.be/HQDy-5IQvuU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Just get a dog or a very territorial tom cat and you'll have no issues with other cats.

AutoTuning wrote: »
    Just get a dog or a very territorial tom cat and you'll have no issues with other cats.

You mean like Catzilla

https://youtu.be/S7kDs15jaQ0

AutoTuning wrote: »

You mean like Catzilla

https://youtu.be/S7kDs15jaQ0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Well, cats in general are quite territorial and don't really like other cats wandering in very much. So, you'll typically have a very mono-cat garden if you've a cat.

I think though the main point is that you should try to avoid encouraging birds into dangerous or exposed situations like food on bird tables and maybe try to create habitat for insects, plant some edible, bird-friendly plants and so oninstead so they can feed naturally and safely.

My view of it is that domestic cats and humanity are very much part of the same package. Where there are humans you're going to have cats and where there are humans you're also going to have large numbers of rodents, odd changes to environment, availability of food that distorts species diversity, noise, pollution etc etc.

And, as pointed out above, you will have similar issues with contaminated soils from foxes and other animals, which is why you should always protect and wash vegetables anyway.

If you do own cats, the most important things are ensuring they're wormed, kept flea free which is extremely easy these days with drop-on products via the vet and also ensuring they're well fed. Most house cats tend to be extremely lazy and won't go out of their way to do much. My experience of them is they largely go after small rodents when they do go after anything and they do seem to worry rats which is no bad thing.

Feral cats are another issue entirely, as they are obviously eating wildlife to survive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Thread locked - a lot of reported comments, to be reviewed, at which point the thread may be reopened or may be deemed to have run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement