Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What wood is this?

Options
  • 20-12-2020 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any opinions as to what wood this is? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What's the guitar? Might be easier to narrow it down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

feylya wrote: »
    What's the guitar? Might be easier to narrow it down that way.

Hi feylya. Yeah I didn't give too many clues. : )

It's a 2003 Epiphone Sheraton VS ii Pro made in Unsung factory. A very well made guitar.

I was thinking that it might be a Deluxe model, however the Deluxe model is listed as having a maple top, it doesn't look to me to be what I know to be maple, but the swirls are a bit unusual so I was wondering is it a type of maple?

The truss rod cover is also a "Gibson" cover and not the regular Epiphone "E' used around the 2003 time for standard Sheratons.

I'm sure there are a lot of occasional inconsistencies when the Sheraton production was moved from different factories, identification of the top wood might confirm it

Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

I might be confusing myself here. I now think that most Epi Sheratons have a maple top.

Going by the attached details, the Deluxe version had the "Gibson" truss rod cover.

http://epiphonewiki.org/index/Sheraton.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

either maple, sycamore or London Plane.

you'd need a DNA test to tell them apart though!

Advertisement