Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Night Time Anxiety

• 23-07-2020 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

I am looking to see if anyone can help or has similar issues.
    I have suffered with anxiety for a couple of years but one issue I am having is when I am falling asleep or have been asleep for maybe 10-20 minutes i suddenly wake up with a jolt. I am gasping for air, confused, extremely disorientated and alot of the time feel like I'm trembling.

I don't think it is sleep apnea as it only happens as I am falling asleep maybe 1-3 times and will not reoccur for the rest of the night once I am in a deep sleep.

Has a one experienced this and is it a result of anxiety?

Thanks in advance,

Steohen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Could it be the famous Hypnogogic Jerk that nearly everyone has?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Hello,

I am looking to see if anyone can help or has similar issues.
    I have suffered with anxiety for a couple of years but one issue I am having is when I am falling asleep or have been asleep for maybe 10-20 minutes i suddenly wake up with a jolt. I am gasping for air, confused, extremely disorientated and alot of the time feel like I'm trembling.

I don't think it is sleep apnea as it only happens as I am falling asleep maybe 1-3 times and will not reoccur for the rest of the night once I am in a deep sleep.

Has a one experienced this and is it a result of anxiety?

Thanks in advance,

Steohen

How is your sleep overall?

I get something similar to this when I'm overtired.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Maybe hypnagogic jerk, like he Cesar said. I get this sometimes, so annoying it is! Maybe knowing what it is will make it less stressful next time, it does wake me up a little or set me back in my falling asleep, but not too much since I'm used to it. I don't get the gasping and trembling, see if it's different next time, now that you are expecting it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Sleep apnea
    Get CPAP machine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 nehemiah2378

I think you've some thoughts in your subconscious mind. Try to identify the reasons for which you feel somehow similar with that condition in the normal day. The identification is the first step in curing the problem. You can try a lot of techniques to calm your mind and body, by practicing meditation, exercise, and different therapies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

If you like the sound of what Nehimiah's saying there's a lot of sleep hypnosis videos on youtube. I used them a lot in March when the reality of the pandemic first hit me, they were really wonderful

Advertisement