Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I will have loads of certs, no experience, what route to go down?

• 18-11-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I currently have the Comptia A+ I am on a full time Tech support Engineer course with Fas and along with this I am studying comptia security + in my own time.

By the time I finish this course I will have

Comptia A+
    Comptia Network +
    Comptia Security +
    VMWare Install Configure Manage VCenter Server 7
    Microsoft Azure Fundamentals AZ-900
    Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate Certification made up of 2 courses :
    Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate
    Exam MD-101: Managing Modern Desktops

Also on top of this, next year when I finish the security and network + exams if I pass I can also do another cert in my own time paid by Fas. Im not sure which vendors are covered but if i have time to do it I had thought about maybe CYSA Linux or Cloud + if its only Comptia or if i could choose maybe AWS cloud solutions architect or a further Microsoft Azure course.

I currently have 0 It work experience although the course has work experience at the end and I am hoping for the work experience with VMWARE as its local or another big company, I will be qualified as a Network support Engineer at the end of the course but will have additional certs on top of it.

I am not sure what route of career I would like to take. Security is interesting but can be difficult. Networking theory is a little boring I think but I would be open to it or should I go down the cloud route as that seems to be the future and the money is there with experience.

Any advice on a career path or courses that would be important for the cloud or security route?

I am looking to fast track myself in the IT field. I lack the experience but will have certs coming out of my a*se by this this time next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Bust your ass in the work experience you've been assigned even if it's not the exact thing you want it to be in. You can prove to future employers that you are willing to work hard and learn on the job. Get a good relationship with your supervisor and ask them to be a reference at the end.

If you do get to meet others during the experience all them about how they qualified and where they worked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its usual catch getting IT certs is easy enough nowadays.

now the 365 desktop admin will open you few doors as in tech support lvl1-2, i found that hardest issue isnt the experience or certs but its purely based on location, Dub city center and around it is basically where majority of companies hire, sure theres few other towns but when it boils down to starting places theres f all outside Dublin to find and even less where you can progress.

since likes of azure, cloud, wmware are usually run at enterprise level and theres little demand for someone with 0 or a years experience.

theory stuff you study now usually covers basics for labs and such, since for likes of vmware you can actually sign up and set up few spare pcs at no cost and play around test your skills etc.
    that said reality is most companies have setup with 100s of em in place usually so chances are no one will let you even close to them with just being certified.

you really want to look into active directories- if its not covered in 365 course.

likes of security- is a minefield to get in, as some comptia+ would be quite useless, and its def 3-5 years experience with networking diff applications hardware protocols before someone would consider you even serious.

all that said user above said it correctly work the crap out of your placement, get to know how things run at enterprise levels, whats used, where you lack skills and improve on that.
    but realistically dont expect to jump at 50k job just because you did few courses, as what you learn now can open doors for tech/admin support roles at entry level and with right company you could have a chance to progress.

As security architect roles isnt something cert based as any decent jobs will require twice that certs and years of experience to be applicable.

so your issue as you outline isnt lack of certs but who will take you on to train you up long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fergiec

Thanks for the replies.

I am based at Cork City. VMware is not far away from me and they may take a few people from the course I have been told for an internship (that is the course, I should have mentioned, It is "Tech support engineer internship) although we do have to find our own work experience at the end.

VMware in Cork seems to be have mainly tech support roles rather than higher roles that I would like to reach in time.

There are lots of other companies around regarding the cyber security side of things. Smartech 24/7, Blackberry etc Im just not sure what route I want to take.

SOC analyst lv1 could be a job to apply for no?

Advertisement