Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sporina's Quitlog

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've been smoking about 13 cigs a day for the past fifteen years.

Didn't enter my head to try and quit but I drank way too much Saturday night and woke up feeling rough.

As per usual when hungover, I made it through til afternoon before I felt I wanted a cig but something stopped me.
    At the same time, I felt a cold coming on.

So it's been 43 hours since my last cig.
    I don't know if it's cos I'm ill, but I've had zero physical cravings.

I have had the odd thought: "Think I'll have a cig now", but that was definitely out if habit.

I am worried I won't have the willpower to carry on being smoke-free and the thought of having an alcoholic drink frightens me cos I know my cravings for cigs are at their peak when booze is involved.

The main lure for quitting is the cost, to be honest.
    I buy the 25packs and at €13 a pop, I can't really afford it.

Sickens me to think how much it's costing.
    I am also so paranoid about fag breath and what it's doing to my health.

I would love to stay off them but only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

sporina wrote: »
    awe thanks and you too - awful awful addiction - so addictive!!! grrrr....:mad::mad::mad:

i failed again - and i have to say i am enjoying them.. i know the price and risks etc.. but man they are so addictive - i am thinking of trying hypnosis - anyone had success with hypnosis?

Every ten or fifteen mins I keep thinking "Time for a smoke" then I think: "Oh no I dont smoke".
    My mind is being devious too cos I have three 25packs on the shelf and the devil on my shoulder is saying: "Why dont you smoke those and give up after?".

The thing is..I feel I'm blessed having this cold at the mo because I've had zero cravings since I stopped two nights ago.

I feel if I quit without a cold, I'd have given in by now.

Also, I've told nobody I've done this, not even my other half and he hasn't noticed my not smoking. He most likely thinks I've cut down cos I'm sick.
    I don't want to tell him I've quit...or anyone...because I feel that's putting pressure on me.

I caved.
    But the spur of the moment decision I made (even though I didnt last long) has actually made me sit up and think I do want to quit.

Before, the thought never entered my brain.
    I've set a quit date for January and I have Champix here and I think I'll be more prepared this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 headoverheels

fussyonion wrote: »
    Every ten or fifteen mins I keep thinking "Time for a smoke" then I think: "Oh no I dont smoke".
    My mind is being devious too cos I have three 25packs on the shelf and the devil on my shoulder is saying: "Why dont you smoke those and give up after?".

The thing is..I feel I'm blessed having this cold at the mo because I've had zero cravings since I stopped two nights ago.

I feel if I quit without a cold, I'd have given in by now.

Also, I've told nobody I've done this, not even my other half and he hasn't noticed my not smoking. He most likely thinks I've cut down cos I'm sick.
    I don't want to tell him I've quit...or anyone...because I feel that's putting pressure on

This is me at the the moment.. have been battling a nasty cold and chest infection for a week now.
    I don't usually smoke when I'm sick as I've no mind for them but I have gone a full week without even craving a cig.

I dread the thought of feeling better in case I go crazy and make up for lost time and smoke 60 in a row!

This is my 3rd attempt at quitting having tried nearly everything..

I once lasted 2 months off them,I was doing great but I'll admit I didn't sleep properly for weeks I couldn't rest in bed and lay awake most nights knowing my body was missing something.. I eventually caved in from pure annoyance and tiredness..but I didn't feel any better afterwards.

It's a dreadful addiction really.

• Advertisement

ok quitting again today....

tbh still love smoking - or my nicotine addiction does.. but health is my motivation here - a specific health reason which i won't go into..

i only smoke about 5/day.. i am a weird smoker.. love the first one in the morn.. don't even smoke a whole one at a time.. only half..

but i have to quit - i am hoping that if i can just get the nicotine to leave my system then the cravings will stop - morning and when i get home from work are the worst times..

I have inhalers - not using patches.. planning to use mindfulness..

so wish me luck...

oh i am also on the HSE quit website

sporina wrote: »
    ok quitting again today....

tbh still love smoking - or my nicotine addiction does.. but health is my motivation here - a specific health reason which i won't go into..

i only smoke about 5/day.. i am a weird smoker.. love the first one in the morn.. don't even smoke a whole one at a time.. only half..

but i have to quit - i am hoping that if i can just get the nicotine to leave my system then the cravings will stop - morning and when i get home from work are the worst times..

I have inhalers - not using patches.. planning to use mindfulness..

so wish me luck...

oh i am also on the HSE quit website

I'm off them just over 3 weeks now and I basically just came off them.

I had gone out for a drink on the Sunday night, smoked my brains out, woke up Monday and didn't fancy a cig til around 4pm.

This wouldn't have been unusual for me; I could go hours without a smoke and not crave one.

Then it got to evening time and I had still only had that one cig and thought "Why don't I just stop smoking?"

I was sick of the smell and the cost. It was costing me €40 a week; frankly it's money I don't really have.

I was sick of the health implications; I'm a gym fiend and smoking meant I was being held back on a lot of stuff, in particular running.
    Embarrassingly I could only run for a minute before stopping. I was that breathless.

I just felt there were more pros than cons to quitting.
    I bought a cheap vape pen from the local vaping stand in my nearest shopping centre (bought 12mg nicotine/menthol flavour juice) and used it every now and again in the first few days.

On my first night drinking in the house I used the vape a few times but nowhere near the amount of times I'd have had a ciggie.
    Last Thursday I went out; first night out since quitting and it didn't bother me.

Used the vape three times.
    Didn't envy the smokers in the beer garden. I actually kept thinking "I'm so lucky I'm finding this easy. I'm so relieved I've quit."

I kept thinking of how my health was improving; after only a few days I was able to run for four minutes non-stop!
    What really kept me going was thinking of how I'd feel if I went back on the cigs.

I'd be disgusted. And I was enjoying this new smoke-free me too much to go back.

I also downloaded the SmokeFree app to my phone and it tells you how long you've been off them, how much you've saved and for me the best bit; how your health is improving.
    It's been great.

It's now been four days since I used the vape pen.
    I don't think about smoking at all and I only really get a craving when I drink; it's not a mad craving, just a fancying for a vape and it comes in handy, though I still only take the odd puff through the evening.

During the day/week when I'm not drinking, I find I don't need the pen.

I do think if you really don't want to smoke anymore and you tell yourself it's the best thing you can do, you can do it.
    Tell yourself you're a non-smoker. Believe you are stronger than cigarettes.

I also strongly recommend you distract yourself when you get a craving.

I really enjoyed reading about your journey, Sporina and I know you can do this again!

So... here we go again.. didn't last v long the last time at all..

But I am off them 28 days today..

This time I have quit for medical reasons.. and I am using the quick mist.. (not a fan of it but it helps with the cravings)..

So.. I am succeeding so far but only because I know that its really not good for my health but especially a medical condition that I have....

Thing is, I still want to smoke.. I wish I didn't.. I'd love to get into that mind frame..

I was off them for 2 years at a time - 2 different periods... but when I quit then, I did it off my own free will - I didn't want cigarettes to have control over me.. so it was easier in a way..

I am not in that head space now.. I still want to smoke - whereas then, I didn't..

So I feel now that I could fail so easily - because my foundation is not strong enough..

Any tips appreciated on how to think/feel differently about smoking ie: change from they are not my friend - they are the enemy!! grr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I read Allen Carr’s book. It was really helpful for that last push to get off the nicotine. I also did meditations and quit smoking hypnosis videos at night when going to sleep. There are lots free of charge on YouTube. Any time I tried using nrt it did not work for me. It does for a lot of people though so whatever works for you. You are obviously doing something right if you are nearly month off them though so keep on doing what your doing. The hse say that if you have quit for 28 days you are 5 times more likely to quit for good.

I will say it’s ok to mix and match different quit methods. I did everything that I thought helped.

I read Allen Carr’s book. It was really helpful for that last push to get off the nicotine. I also did meditations and quit smoking hypnosis videos at night when going to sleep. There are lots free of charge on YouTube. Any time I tried using nrt it did not work for me. It does for a lot of people though so whatever works for you. You are obviously doing something right if you are nearly month off them though so keep on doing what your doing. The hse say that if you have quit for 28 days you are 5 times more likely to quit for good.

I will say it’s ok to mix and match different quit methods. I did everything that I thought helped.

hi ya thanks for the post and the youtube tip.. are you still smoke free?
    I read Alan Carr's book in the past - it worked for me at one stage - then not at another.. might give it another go...
    I am off them 28 days now.. well - tbh - the reason I have managed so far is really just to do with my health..
    I also have a smoking cessation counsellor who calls me every week and tbh she is fantastic!!!!
    I realised today that what I miss most about smoking is the "friendship".. they wer my friend.. I only smoked at home - on the qt.. time out with my "friend"... so now that I recognise that - I can separate that from me actually wanting to smoke..
    Cig's are NOT my friend!
    The automatic thought it still there - esp in times of stress - but I am hoping it will diminish - it feels less even now tbh..
    I must be strong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I have been smoke free two years and nine and a half months now. I always had funny notions and superstitious ideas about what would and wouldn’t work on each attempt before and all the ducks had to be in a row for it to last. These notions changed from one quit to the next. I’m not normally like this with anything else, it’s funny how the mind works. I’m a bit OCD so maybe it comes from that lol. Good luck, I wish you continued success.

I have been smoke free two years and nine and a half months now. I always had funny notions and superstitious ideas about what would and wouldn’t work on each attempt before and all the ducks had to be in a row for it to last. These notions changed from one quit to the next. I’m not normally like this with anything else, it’s funny how the mind works. I’m a bit OCD so maybe it comes from that lol. Good luck, I wish you continued success.

well done and keep up the good work xxx
    cigarettes are NOT our friend!! evil toxic relationship! be done! :)

hi all.. so been smoking again since Jan 2015 - but my last ciggy was Thurs 15th..

I have gum disease.. and bone loss.. nothing like a dental scare to make one stop...

Periodontist advised I stop right away.. today is day 3 with no smokes.. using patches.. awful anxiety in the am..

Nicorette quick mist gives me hiccups.. anyone else?

its an awful addiction.. smoking.. only smokers understand.. I actually hate it.. but the addiction is strong

wish me luck and strength

best of luck to you all too

awe so here I am again - only stayed off them for 2 weeks last time.. but my periodontitis persists so I am trying again..

lesson from last time - I just felt so depressed without them - so I went out and bought a pack - and I didn't even enjoy it - but I had bought them and so continued to smoke and was hooked again..

didn't smoke today - this am was tough - had anxiety - but worked thru it..

I am using patches and quick mist and inhaler..

wish me luck

Advertisement