Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime at the Cinema

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Next months Screen Anime movies have been announced.

https://twitter.com/AnimeBlurayUK/status/1266736354358149120?s=19

Bump. Expect this to end up not happening here.

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/1384854480827584512

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm hoping CR gets it as soon as it goes VOD, but I doubt it. I can't see a genuine, legal way of watching this movie any time soon, and most will have to wait until Netflix get it I reckon. The local cinemas basically confirmed they're not getting it, but maybe that'll change once cinemas are open again.

I'm hoping CR gets it as soon as it goes VOD, but I doubt it. I can't see a genuine, legal way of watching this movie any time soon, and most will have to wait until Netflix get it I reckon. The local cinemas basically confirmed they're not getting it, but maybe that'll change once cinemas are open again.

Won't be on Crunchyroll, more likely to be on Funimation Now. Movie is licenced by Funimation through their sister company Aniplex of America.

Also don't forget Manga Entertainment are currently in the middle of rebranding as Funimation UK. End of an era as the Manga Entertainment brand is the longest running in English anime distribution. The US arm, owned by Lionsgate, does nothing but post memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

If it's going to be streamed it'll almost certainly be Funimation.

• Advertisement

Ah crap, I thought CR had it first, but I suppose I wasn't using Funimation because, well, it's crap. Considering Sony own both Funimation and CR, I'd imagine we'll either see a merge or simultaneous releases?

On a side note, and I probably know the answer, but have Sony fixed Funimation yet? Plus they own Japans Aniplex too if t'internet is to be believed.

Ah crap, I thought CR had it first, but I suppose I wasn't using Funimation because, well, it's crap. Considering Sony own both Funimation and CR, I'd imagine we'll either see a merge or simultaneous releases?
    That's on hold because of anti-trust.

On a side note, and I probably know the answer, but have Sony fixed Funimation yet? Plus they own Japans Aniplex too if t'internet is to be believed.
    Nope, Funimation is still crap on most things. It works ok enough on my new PC with an ad-blocker.

Evade wrote: »
    That's on hold because of anti-trust.

Nope, Funimation is still crap on most things. It works ok enough on my new PC with an ad-blocker.

The new app on Switch is good and will be rolled out on all platforms.

Currently using the Xbox app. The queue is broken and won't show more than 10 titles, the continue watching is broken as it mainly jumps back a couple of minutes from the end, and if it doesn't when you go to watch the next episode it reloads the episode you just watched with the subtitles for the following episode. To fix that you need to fast forward enough to create a bookmark on the new episode, cancel out of the episode, reload it and then restart to play correctly :pac:

And that's exactly why I didn't renew the trial. Shocking service in 2021.

Saying that, CR would want to up their game and introduce Netflix-like features, like (on the PS5 anyway), a button to go back to the start of an episode, the ability to skip the intros and outros, and reduce the sensitivity of using the left analog stick to fast forward/rewind, anything but perfectly left or right and you don't go foward/back, but up or down which doesn't nothing only annoy you! Profiles would be nice too.

the ability to skip the intros and outros
    You monster.

• Advertisement

You monster.

After nearly 1000 episodes of One Piece, I don't need to see the intros any more. Plus, most anime ruin themselves by showing awesome stuff that hasn't happened yet (looking at you Berserk!).

After nearly 1000 episodes of One Piece, I don't need to see the intros any more. Plus, most anime ruin themselves by showing awesome stuff that hasn't happened yet (looking at you Berserk!).
    I suppose with something like One Piece where it's around for ~50 episodes I'd skip it too.

Gundam SEED did that a couple of times. New OP and <character> isn't in it, I'm sure they'll be fine and definitely won't be boiled from a direct hit by a mobile suits beam saber (in the original version at least, they changed it for the re-releases).

In case you didn't know PM at the start of the OP/ED if you tap the d-pad right six times you'll skip to the end of it in almost all cases.

And then another 6 to skip the recap! Didn't even think to use the d-pad tbh, sound!

Seems Mugen Train is currently available for purchase on US PSN for $13 in HD, $10 in SD, on PS4 and the PS Video app.

You may need a vpn to purchase or view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Some good news; with some cinemas set to reopen next week, there are actually some that will be showing Demon Slayer....and for more than a single screening!

So far only the IMC Barrack St in Kilkenny have it showing at 4:15pm and 7pm from the 7th till the 10th, since thats as far as all their listings go. Also the Odeon in Limerick have it the 7th & 8th 9:15pm.

Its something anyways.

It's on not too far away from me for a change. Thanks for the post, I really wanted to see this.

Entertainment.ie's filter by film and county are pretty handy.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Some good news; with some cinemas set to reopen next week, there are actually some that will be showing Demon Slayer....and for more than a single screening!

So far only the IMC Barrack St in Kilkenny have it showing at 4:15pm and 7pm from the 7th till the 10th, since thats as far as all their listings go. Also the Odeon in Limerick have it the 7th & 8th 9:15pm.

Its something anyways.

Imc Dun Laoghaire and Santry too.

Looks like the screenings are dub only.

You can check local screenings here

Imc Dun Laoghaire and Santry too.

Looks like the screenings are dub only.

You can check local screenings here
    Oh no.

Oh no.

That's the case for IMC. I can see Odeon doing both.

• Advertisement

Oh no.

Just back from watching it. Film is great, the dub is awful with variable audio quality and a severe lack of direction.

Just back from watching it. Film is great, the dub is awful with variable audio quality and a severe lack of direction.
    Average dub then.

I'm going to see it at 2100 today. I still have no idea if it's dub or sub.

I was not expecting cosplayers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I just finished the first season tonight and am tempted to see the film but having to listen to a dub is very off putting. That and the risk of encountering people who haven't a notion what the film is about and being very confused / distracted.
    Evade wrote:
    I was not expecting cosplayers.
    Who were they dressed up as? Please tell me someone had a boar's head.

It was good apart from the dub, Rengoku was particularly bad. I just looked up a clip of him in the series in Japanese to make 100% sure the wooden lack of emotion thing wasn't intentional and it wasn't. It was really glaring
    in his big emotional emotionless final speech.
    Still, it's worth seeing before the next season even if you have to watch the dub because unlike most anime series tie ins this one isn't filler, it's an adaption of a manga arc, so it will have actual consequences going forward.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Who were they dressed up as? Please tell me someone had a boar's head.
    Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Shinobu, and maybe Nezuko her cloak was closed so it was hard to tell. Given they were girls and looked school aged Inosuke is a bit yabai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Senseless Betty

Hi all, does anyone want 2 free tickets to Demon Slayer for Limerick Omniplex showing at 18:10 on Wednesday 9th? I had booked it for myself and my 12year old daughter but now have to go to a funeral, she is not impressed! I would hate to see them go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just back from it myself. The dub is indeed horrific and ruins it. It's actually hard to tell if it's even a decent film due to it.

Plenty of great 2D scenes also ruined by the oh so familiar as of late dog sh1te CG animation. It's beyond jarring whenever it pops up and I'm absolutely amazed so many shows are getting away with it.

To top it all off, I saw it in on of the Savoy's new screens...one of the four they carved up Screen 1 to make into four tiny rooms that almost feel like you might as well have stayed at home and watched a film in your living room.

On the plus side it was, eh, nice to be out and about!

I hope Evangelion 3.0+1.01 (yes, it's been touched up already) gets a release date soon. I'd love if somewhere did a marathon of all four films.

I hope Evangelion 3.0+1.01 (yes, it's been touched up already) gets a release date soon. I'd love if somewhere did a marathon of all four films.

Lighthouse would probably do it. They had a marathon of all three when 3.0 came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

That marathon of the three Eva films has been my only exposure to EVA and it was some ride.

Advertisement