Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

• 03-01-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New thread for a new year. Here's to hoping we can see as much tennis as is reasonably possible

Here's the ATP provisional schedule

EqafgGbXIAARZbn?format=jpg&name=medium

And the WTA

-WTA-2021-Calendar-PM.jpg?width=1064

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Anyone wanna try make some predictions for 2021? :o

At the very least I think we'll definitely get all of the grand slams played this year. I don't think we'll have a single tournament worldwide played with a full crowd, everything will be either behind closed doors or with significantly reduced attendances.

I think we'll see at least one new grand slam winner on the WTA side, and probably all four grand slams divided amongst four different women. We've seen seen a lot of meteoric rises and surprising champions on the WTA side inside the two to three years, and a return to teenagers winning grand slams. I'm trying to think of who the next one might be, perhaps Leylah Fernandez? I know next to nothing about her, but she finished last year inside the top 100 and got a win over a top 5 player also, so I think she'll continue to ascend the rankings. Could she win a grand slam? Who the hell knows, but I highly doubt anyone would've picked Swiatek, Kenin or Andreescu to win one a year before they did.

I don't see much changing on the ATP side, I think the slams will still be divided amongst Djokovic and Nadal. Perhaps Thiem will win another and maybe Federer will have one last throw of the dice at Wimbledon, though I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have any new winners. Could see Sinner becoming a big threat at the slams, but 2021 might still be a bit too soon to lift a trophy.

I unfortunately think we'll see a lot of dumb players continue to ignore Covid-19 rules and restrictions, with lots of players exposing themselves to be dickheads. Don't think Djokovic would be dumb enough to do it again, but wouldn't be surprised to see more of the same from Thiem, Zverev, Querrey and co. But I'll give them a chance and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Two predictions for 2021, first Djokovic to surpass Federer weeks at No 1 and second Rafa to win the FO, really sticking my next out there.
    I think if we are to see any of the younger generation to win slams, it'll be at the AO or USO, don't see them winning at FO or Wimbledon. I think it'll be Federer's last season and he'll go all out to win Wimbledon and or the Olympics, don't think he win either tbh.
    On the women's side I think Serena will continue to come up short at the slams and could retire at end of season. Wouldn't be surprised to see 4 different winners at the slams with Osaka and Halap among the main contenders and probably an outsider winning 1 slam.
    Don't think we'll see full crowds at all unfortunately, but, all 4 slams will take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Grand Slams

• Men: Thiem, Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem
    • Women: Everyone except Williams
    • Hector to post multiple times during each GS that they might as well give it to Nadal

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Two predictions for 2021, first Djokovic to surpass Federer weeks at No 1 and second Rafa to win the FO, really sticking my next out there.

As far as I understand it the ATP has decided to continue the protection of last years ranking points until March 2021. As Djokovic won basically everything until March 2020 his hold on the No 1 ranking till March seems unbreakable, so he will likely surpass Federers record of weeks as No 1 'by default'.

The AO will be interesting, I don't think Djokovic is the overwhelming favourite he previously was.

Anyone but Nadal wining the French would be a huge shock, however the year is going to be weird, he may not be able to 'tee up' his run as well as he usually does but it shouldn't matter.

I expect Federer to have a final tilt at Wimbledon and the Olympics before bowing out, but I'm not sure he is going to be fit/sharp enough to win anything. It will be nice to watch him try.

I find it increasingly hard to care about many of the others to be honest, will be mildly interesting to see them develop but until they start beating the older lads in Slams, I still find it hard to take them seriously.

Predictions: Djokovic and Nadal to each pick up a slam, Thiem to win one also, as well as the Olympic gold, Djokovic to end up year end No 1 again depending on what happens at Wimbledon.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tend to agree with the general sentiment on here in that:
    1. AO is more open that previous years and Djokovic is not the overwhelming favourite as usual. Thiem has a good chance imo
    2. Nadal is a lock for the FO. Even if certain leadup tournaments are cancelled this year (doubtful tbh), Nadal showed us last year that - contrary to popular belief - the buildup doesn't necessarily matter to him. He will surpass Feds GS record this year
    3. Fed will go all-out to win Wimbledon and it would be a fairytale ending, and I can see him doing so IF Djokovic is beaten by someone else. Possible, but unlikely. Would be the sports story of the decade, only one year in :D
    4. USO, as always, will be the most open. Hard to call and all depends on form/injuries at that stage of the year
    5. Djokovic will surpass Fed for weeks at No.1 - inevitable really.
    6. Fans will return to matches! Maybe they will only do so in limited numbers, but I think most tournaments from March/April onwards will have a sizeable amount of fans. Badly needed too, as a lot of matches last year felt dull and dismal without the atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Few random bits of news; Andy Murray has withdrawn from Delray Beach due to flight risks associated with covid-19, is aiming to play the Australian Open.

Maybe some of ye didn't notice it missing above, but Indian Wells has already been cancelled. They're hoping to play it some time later in the year but that'll hardly happen.

In disappointing news, The ATP/WTA Live App has been discontinued for some unknown reason. Such a simple, easy-to-use resource, it's a baffling decision for it to be let go.

Australian Open preparations hit a major hiccup when owners of penthouses in one of the Australian Open quarantine hotels objected to players staying there. Apparently another one has been found with an announcement due next week, but really not the kind of stuff we want to be hearing when the players are due to arrive in ten days. Hope it all proceeds as seamlessly as is possible.

If theres one useful thing Covid has shown us, it's that players are more than capable of using a towel without assistance and I hope that ball kids continue to be relieved of this 'duty' in the future once the pandemic recedes.
    I never gave it much thought but, on reflection, the optics were always odd.

lostcat wrote: »
    If theres one useful thing Covid has shown us, it's that players are more than capable of using a towel without assistance and I hope that ball kids continue to be relieved of this 'duty' in the future once the pandemic recedes.
    I never gave it much thought but, on reflection, the optics were always odd.

Yeah I think a lot of people feel the same, not missing the sight of watching children having to handle the players manky towels. Most of the time it's only used tactically anyway, so I hope it doesn't come back.

World #29 Dayana Yastremska provisionally suspended for doping offences

https://twitter.com/ITFMedia/status/1347196958864269312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1347196958864269312%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tennisforum.com%2Fthreads%2Fbombshell-yastremska-busted-for-doping.1377980%2F

Naturally, she's pleading her innocence

https://twitter.com/D_Yastremska/status/1347199074626396161

Not even sure exactly what mesterolone metabolite is, or how any form of "contamination" would be possible, but she seems like an unsavoury character all round so I wouldn't be inclined to believe her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

World #29 Dayana Yastremska provisionally suspended for doping offences

https://twitter.com/ITFMedia/status/1347196958864269312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1347196958864269312%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tennisforum.com%2Fthreads%2Fbombshell-yastremska-busted-for-doping.1377980%2F

Naturally, she's pleading her innocence

https://twitter.com/D_Yastremska/status/1347199074626396161

Not even sure exactly what mesterolone metabolite is, or how any form of "contamination" would be possible, but she seems like an unsavoury character all round so I wouldn't be inclined to believe her.

Don't know anything about her, apart from this doping incident what else has she done or said for you to describe her as an unsavory character?

• Advertisement

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Don't know anything about her, apart from this doping incident what else has she done or said for you to describe her as an unsavory character?

I was primarily referring to her on court behaviour. Fond of taking medical time outs when she's losing, and has retired when down match point on three separate occasions. Perhaps it's happened even more than that, idk, so generally she's got form for being a bit of a cnut :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I see Francesca Jones, 20 year old from leeds, has qualified for aussie main draw. Has a rare medical condition which meant she was born missing a finger on either hand and a toe on right foot. Docs told her she'd never be able to play professional tennis. Media are going to love her but understandable, very inspiring story for dark times.

Sabalenka starts the new season where she left off, wins the tournament in Abu Dhabi for her third consecutive title. Remains to be seen if she can bring this form to the slams.

Delighted to see Tsvetana Pironkova get through qualies and make the main draw for the Australian Open. Rebecca Marino made it through also, will play her first grand slam in eight years. Disappointed to see Ana Konjuh lose though, and especially to a doper.

De Minaur wins his fourth career title in Antalya, playing just two games after Bublik retires. Sebastian Korda, son of Petr, will play the Delray beach final against Hurkacz later today. It completely passed me by that he made the fourth round of RG back in October, where he won four games against Nadal.

Christian Harrison came through qualies to make the SF's of Delray Beach, his first time making an ATP main draw since July 2018. He marked the occasion by getting fined $3,000 for refusing to wear a mask in one of his post match interviews and pushing his anti-mask views on Instagram ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ He'll play the doubles final with his brother Ryan.

OnlyFans star Tomic is still playing tennis apparently, and has qualified for the Australian Open main draw. So has 17 year old Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz, who I think someone on here mentioned before? 23 year old American Michael Mmoh made it through also, his mother is Irish so at least there'll be some Irish representation in Melbourne, however tenuous.

Andy Murray reported as being covid positive, likely in doubt for the AO.

Tennys Sandgren also had it but seems to no longer be 'contagious' and hopped on a plane to Aus, much hilarity apparantly ensued.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes, Murray has it but still hopes to play. Maybe its just me, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least not to see a slam this year. I'm still mystified why Qatar and Dubai would let hundreds of people in to facilitate Australia.

Would be surprised if murray can still play, given how strict the australian authorities have been in relation to pandemic control. Not sure why he's still even considering it tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Would be surprised if murray can still play, given how strict the australian authorities have been in relation to pandemic control. Not sure why he's still even considering it tbh.

Shocked even more about Sangren. I could just see him getting on the plane at one end, and everyone else getting off the other end......

whiterebel wrote: »
    Shocked even more about Sangren. I could just see him getting on the plane at one end, and everyone else getting off the other end......

I'm not surprised at all about sandgren tbh, kind of behaviour you might expect from him. Just cos he already has virus is no reason to be able to fly as you can still transmit even if you have antibodies, far as i know anyway. I'd expect better from Murray though.

I'm not surprised at all about sandgren tbh, kind of behaviour you might expect from him. Just cos he already has virus is no reason to be able to fly as you can still transmit even if you have antibodies, far as i know anyway. I'd expect better from Murray though.

The Aussie authorities let him in - that's what I'm surprised at.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The Aussie authorities let him in - that's what I'm surprised at.

Ah right, i get ya. Am surprised at that too, expected them to be very strict about it.

• Advertisement

Maybe something of a blessing in disguise for Andy (assuming covid isn't in any way serious for him, obviously). I doubt he was gonna go far anyway, might be better to start again with a few smaller tournaments before he plays a slam again.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Maybe something of a blessing in disguise for Andy (assuming covid isn't in any way serious for him, obviously). I doubt he was gonna go far anyway, might be better to start again with a few smaller tournaments before he plays a slam again.

Sadly, i cant see Murray doing much on his return. his game was revolved around being a retriever which is harder being older. Though Djoko is a retriever and still going strong.hmmm.

hopefully that new German 'Sinner' will produce some more good results in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What's the turn out for the AO going to be like? If I were on the tour with no hope of winning the tournament (like most players) I'd probably be happy to give it a miss given the quarantine requirements this year. Unless I really needed the money.

Sadly, i cant see Murray doing much on his return. his game was revolved around being a retriever which is harder being older. Though Djoko is a retriever and still going strong.hmmm.

hopefully that new German 'Sinner' will produce some more good results in 2021.

Yeah I don't think Murray has much more to give to tennis either, but at the same time it'd be nice for him to go out on his own terms. And what are you insinuating about Djokovic? :pac:

Btw Sinner is Italian of Austrian heritage.
    What's the turn out for the AO going to be like? If I were on the tour with no hope of winning the tournament (like most players) I'd probably be happy to give it a miss given the quarantine requirements this year. Unless I really needed the money.

Most are eager to play, there hasn't been many high profile withdrawals. Murray obviously probably won't be playing, and Madison Keys tested positive also. I'd expect a few more will have to withdraw between here and February 8th.

Also:
    https://twitter.com/tumcarayol/status/1350246891397779458

Everyone on this flight is now confined to their rooms for two weeks, not allowed out even for tennis practice, meaning that if they play the warm up event they won't have hit a single ball in the fortnight prior. I imagine these players will now forego the warmup event and use it practice instead. Azarenka, Stephens and Nishikori are the biggest names apparently on the flight. Messy, messy situation.

Everyone on this flight is now confined to their rooms for two weeks, not allowed out even for tennis practice, meaning that if they play the warm up event they won't have hit a single ball in the fortnight prior. I imagine these players will now forego the warmup event and use it practice instead. Azarenka, Stephens and Nishikori are the biggest names apparently on the flight. Messy, messy situation.

Did everyone have to submit a negative PCR test from 48 hours or less prior to boarding the plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

josip wrote: »
    Did everyone have to submit a negative PCR test from 48 hours or less prior to boarding the plane?

Bandreescu coach has tested positive on arrival in Australia despite a negative test 72 hours earlier. He said he doesn't know how he contracted it.

https://twitter.com/jon_wertheim/status/1350462282497748995?s=19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Not an ideal way to prepare for a slam, but stuff like this happening was always a risk.

Hopefully all involved have a speedy recovery and the tournament doesn't suffer anymore major setbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

40,000 Australians stranded from home and are not allowed to enter Australia!!!

These are Australian *citizens* !! but their paranoid nazi government are in a panic over 1 case of Covid.

Meanwhile 1000's of elite tennis players just swan on in .....

Boycott the AO this year ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

72 players now in strict quarantine in Australia after another flight had positive covid tests. 3 flights now.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    72 players now in strict quarantine in Australia after another flight had positive covid tests. 3 flights now.

Wouldn't it have been preferable to require that people on these flights test 72 hours before departure and to isolate/quarantine until the departure time?

Or were some of these scheduled flights?

Advertisement