Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Sky

• 02-04-2020 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

My goto weather website Dark Sky is is joining Apple and closing it's website on July 1st.

Need something similar. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Arcus is exactly the same & free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arcusweather.darksky&hl=en-GB

I have had both running & they coincide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Pretty uncool of Apple tbh. They're taking one out of the Microsoft expansionist playbook, of embrace-extend-extinguish. Pulling the API access next year is not good, and not even giving a pay-for option.

There are quite a lot of astronomically useful applications that pull the originating data from DarkSky. One in particular that I use daily is Clear Outside, and that gets most of its data from that source.

Popoutman wrote: »
    Pretty uncool of Apple tbh. They're taking one out of the Microsoft expansionist playbook, of embrace-extend-extinguish. Pulling the API access next year is not good, and not even giving a pay-for option.

There are quite a lot of astronomically useful applications that pull the originating data from DarkSky. One in particular that I use daily is Clear Outside, and that gets most of its data from that source.

I have a horrible feeling that Arcus use Dark Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Have a look at Shadow Weather.Just downloaded it this morning and it looks ok.

Arcus have confirmed that their app will stop. Where will Shadow get their data from ?

• Advertisement

Tried Shadow & there appears to be no 30 minute rain update like Dark Sky's. Has anyone found an app that offers the accurate rain tracking of Dark Sky ?

Just downloaded the Beta version of Accuweather. Looks promising.

Dark Sky android is now dead & none of the other apps, despite their claims, offer 15 minute rain warning notifications. Seems unclear as to whether Arcus has stopped.

Has anyone found anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

In the same boat, f'n apple that's seriously anti competitive. So what's the next best thing..can't see the Accu betas

In the same boat, f'n apple that's seriously anti competitive. So what's the next best thing..can't see the Accu betas

So far Accu Beta has been useless as it doesn't notify. If you have to check the app you might as well check the radar yourself. I posted on reddit & got a long list of apps - many claiming to be the new Dark Sky. But so far none of them give the same rain notifications as Dark Sky.

• Advertisement

Appy weather claim to offer rain notifications but you have to subscribe. I tried it & it's hopeless - got a notification to say it will rain today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Gone from Windows now. Bad start to 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Came across this recently: https://merrysky.net/

Styled on Dark Sky. Liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not my Windows dark sky out all of them currently.

The closest to Dark Sky is Accuweather & Shadow weather. Both give minutely forecasts but neither give alerts so you have to manually check them. Shadow does have an alert but it's one hour refresh time restricts it. The Shadow widget is good

Advertisement