Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 247: Jones vs Reyes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

****ing joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Reyes by KO
    How did one judge score that 49-46, just shows you have to stop the champ.
    Will never get a decision against the champ with these judges. Absolute farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

"I thought I won 1 through 3". Thats because you did.

**** those judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Jon got beaten in every way except endurance but that shouldn't win you a fight. Reyes had all the bigger moments, clearly stunning Jon a few times, landed harder kicks, punches throughout the whole fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭al87987

Yeah I'll echo the rest that i thought Reyes won the first 3. Lost the last two but no 10-8's in there.

Great fight though, would like to see it run back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

al87987 wrote: »
    Yeah I'll echo the rest that i thought Reyes won the first 3. Lost the last two but no 10-8's in there.

Great fight though, would like to see it run back.

You would need a different set of judges though. You could not beat him by decision with a panel of judges like that no matter how many times you ran it back. Unless you manage to finish him.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭al87987

All the judges gave Reyes the first, two gave Jones the 2nd and two gave Jones the 3rd also.

Think they were maybe influenced a little too much by the forward pressure of Jones, controlled the octagon but was outstruck through three quite clearly for me.

Rogan and Co. Going off on the judging system and tonights judges now, think they had Reyes winning the first three also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Shevchenko by Sub
    Despite winning my bet, I had Reyes winning. Especially when it was called 49-46.. Crazy judging all night. Gotta feel sorry for Reyes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Shevchenko by Sub
    The 49-46 was a joke. I had it 2-2 going into the last that Jones won. I'll rewatch it again as it could have been the forward pressure that swayed me in the third. Jon's been in a few stinkers lately I did think this fight was good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reyes by KO
    Just watched the fight, Jesus Christ Reyes was robbed of that belt. He clearly won the first 3 in my opinion, Jones had the last 2, thought it was a simple fight to call. ****ing hell, sickened with that result and not because of a dislike for Jones, Reyes was the better man there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Jones struggling again to beat not exactly elite competition. He's fortunate the light heavyweight division is such a poor division for this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Still Ill

ERG89 wrote: »
    Jones struggling again to beat not exactly elite competition. He's fortunate the light heavyweight division is such a poor division for this long.

Really hoping this post doesn't kick off another 'definition of elite' conversation. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reyes by KO
    ERG89 wrote: »

Reyes looked really good but Jones looked bang average, far from goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just watched the fight, Jesus Christ Reyes was robbed of that belt. He clearly won the first 3 in my opinion, Jones had the last 2, thought it was a simple fight to call. ****ing hell, sickened with that result and not because of a dislike for Jones, Reyes was the better man there.

Agreed, thought Reyes was superb and deserved the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Still Ill wrote: »
    Really hoping this post doesn't kick off another 'definition of elite' conversation. :pac:

Reyes' biggest win was against Weidman who's won 1 fight since May, 2015 & has been finished in every other fight. (Most at middleweight)
    Santos beat Anders, Manuwa & Blachowicz which isn't exactly a killers row. It might be one of the easiest routes to a title fight you will get, bar Aldo getting a shot after losing to Moraes.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Reyes looked really good but Jones looked bang average, far from goat.

Wonder what his picogram count will be??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Latifi was so boring it was unbelievable.

Valentina is so awesome to watch. Love to see her go up again and take out Nunes.

Reyes definitely won the first two rounds.
    Jones won the last two.
    That middle round is the fight decider imo. It was a very close fight.

Shocked two judges gave Jones round two and the 4-1 Jones guy is obviously a numbskull. Reyes takedown defence and ability to get back up was really impressive. Real pity he didn’t have some five round experience. If he had more gas in the tank those last two rounds Jones was in big trouble. There was nothing behind Reyes shots in rounds four and five.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jones by Sub
    Rounds 1,2,4,5 were clear cut.
    Round 3 was the decider and I gave it to Reyes. Could see how a judge could go the other way though.
    The 4-1 scorecard and unanimous decision will make it go down as a bigger robbery than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Rezident

Chookagian by KO
    So relieved Jones won after foolishly lumping on him and I love Jon Jones but I thought Reyes won the fight. I thought Reyes won the first three rounds. Jones won the last two and Reyes was backing off for those two but he was well ahead by then..

I need to rewatch it, but at the time I thought Reyes did more to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Shevchenko by Sub
    Can't remember which fight it was exactly but Rogan and Cruz were calling out the judges long before the main card began because they weren't looking at the fight. Rogan even pointed out that it had been a solid minute since they looked up from the desk and him and Cruz kept referring to the judges all night. I think they were boxing judges aswell because a fight went to the ground and Rogan remarked that the judges won't know how to score grappling exchanges since they've never done it before. Texas really has a reputation for poor judges and a poor commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

xtal191 wrote: »

Except that's not how fights are scored. At all

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Overall I think Jones won..

Reyes had his moments, but he was moving backwards most of the night.

Jones is not the same fighter he was a few years ago. Slower...that’s a few recent fights where he hasn’t overly impressed me.

walshb wrote: »
    Overall I think Jones won..

Reyes had his moments, but he was moving backwards most of the night.

Jones is not the same fighter he was a few years ago. Slower...that’s a few recent fights where he hasn’t overly impressed me.

Fights are scored round by round, not overall.

For what it's worth, I had Reyes take 1-3, and Jones take 4 and 5. 3 was close and could be scored either way relatively easily

cletus wrote: »
    Fights are scored round by round, not overall.

For what it's worth, I had Reyes take 1-3, and Jones take 4 and 5. 3 was close and could be scored either way relatively easily

I know how they’re scored. Overall I thought he won 3 rds...

Apologies. Overall sounded, to me, like you got to the end of the fight and thought, on balance, Jones should win

cletus wrote: »
    Apologies. Overall sounded, to me, like you got to the end of the fight and thought, on balance, Jones should win

I know what you mean...

If discussing it in an overall sense, as in 25 minutes...I felt that Jones controlled the fight more...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jones by Sub

Which 3 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

xtal191 wrote: »

"I ask myself, if the rules were completely different, would my auntie have balls".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

One for the purists mind you... Jones looked a little too measured. Glad I didn’t stay up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

On the scoring system that is in place I can't se for the life of me how Reyes didn't win
    In my opinion he clearly won 3 rounds to two
    All the talk of you have do more to beat the champ is nonsens, the scoring system does not take into account of who you are and rightly so m if you win a round you win a round regardless of who your fighting,

Reyes in my eyes won 1-,2,3 and should now be the champion ,

Advertisement