Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI Mavic Pro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

sunny2004 wrote: »
    whats with the battery discharging ?

LiPo battery fires are chemical fires that don't need oxygen to continue burning, so on-board fire extinguishers don't work too well. You usually have to keep them down around 10% I thought so there is less energy stored.

DJI batteries are pretty safe now though, as long as the contacts can't be shorted out. So best to cover the terminals with insulating tape.

You have to carry batteries of this size in the cabin with you, normally three max, with one in the drone.

This is what can happen an unstable LiPo battery:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

So I created a cheap landing pad yesterday with lights

It's two pieces of cardboard, Duct tape, Electrical tape and left over battery powered Xmas lights

08-25-ji1l9-kx6wk.jpg

08-25-g3zkp-aceyg.jpg

All pictures http://imgur.com/a/fEBid
    (Can't get them to embed without being huge)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Scruff wrote: »
    Anyone go for the Care Refresh from dji or any kind of insurance?

This is something I've been wondering about too. Ordinarily, even with high-value gadgets like DSLR and Laptops, I'd take my chances, but having seen this video I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea after all.

While most footage posted on-line seems to be "high altitude" panoramic flights, I'd be more interested in using one for dolly shots and steadicam footage at or just above eye level. In the video above, the guy loses his Mavic when it flies under a metal bridge and doesn't come out the other side. It dropped the GPS signal, couldn't find it again and went into hover mode till the battery ran out.

Now that I'm aware of this risk, I'd hope to avoid it, but using the sat nav on my phone, I know that there are plenty of holes in the coverage in the places I'd like to film, e.g. in/around the plunge pool at the base of a waterfall, or in deep gorges/dense forest.

Does anyone have experience of flying in these kinds of environments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

You can choose between return to home (it climbs straight up to a preset height and flies back) or hover if it loses signal with the controller. It won't go into hover if it loses just GPS. Sounds like the guy in the video lost both. If it has no GPS it uses the optical sensors underneath to stay in position so there is no problem flying in forests or tunnels etc. Unless you also lose RC signal, in which case it's better to set to hover rather than return to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

This is something I've been wondering about too. Ordinarily, even with high-value gadgets like DSLR and Laptops, I'd take my chances, but having seen this video I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea after all.

While most footage posted on-line seems to be "high altitude" panoramic flights, I'd be more interested in using one for dolly shots and steadicam footage at or just above eye level. In the video above, the guy loses his Mavic when it flies under a metal bridge and doesn't come out the other side. It dropped the GPS signal, couldn't find it again and went into hover mode till the battery ran out.

I ended up taking out the DJI Care Refresh plan. I decided it was worth the extra for my first real drone while i learn the ropes for the 1st year. Unlike other expensive equipment that I dont normally insure either, this one could inadvertently be flown into a tree at 60km/h.

I'm seriously impressed by this little machine after only a few sedate test flights!

• Advertisement

I ended up taking out the DJI Care Refresh plan. I decided it was worth the extra for my first real drone while i learn the ropes for the 1st year. Unlike other expensive equipment that I dont normally insure either, this one could inadvertently be flown into a tree at 60km/h.

I'm seriously impressed by this little machine after only a few sedate test flights!

It's an amazing piece of kit, as someone who'd never fly drones before (flown other stuff ;) ) or been familiar with film making/ photography the stuff you can accomplish with it is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Homer

Shane_ef wrote: »
    It's an amazing piece of kit, as someone who'd never fly drones before (flown other stuff ;) ) or been familiar with film making/ photography the stuff you can accomplish with it is amazing

Very nice. What post processing did you do for the vibrant colours. Did you use any filters on the camera itself?

Homer wrote: »
    Very nice. What post processing did you do for the vibrant colours. Did you use any filters on the camera itself?

Cheers
    All done with colour correction in final cut Pro, no filters used on the mavic

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Looking to get involved in the wonderful world of Mavic soon (15th of June birthday to be used as an excuse to buy). Few questions for the more experienced Boardies:

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy a Mavic Pro at the moment?
    Would you be buying it now or do you expect a new/refreshed model coming out soon?

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Looking to get involved in the wonderful world of Mavic soon (15th of June birthday to be used as an excuse to buy). Few questions for the more experienced Boardies:

Where's the best/cheapest play to buy a Mavic Pro at the moment?
    Would you be buying it now or do you expect a new/refreshed model coming out soon?

Cheers in advance

As it stands there is no cheaper place to get them. There seems to be an agreed price in place.

€1499 for the flymore and €1199 for the drone only package.

I bought mine from radioncontrollershop.ie, based near Rathcoole. They have them in stock a fair bit now.

I also stumped up for the refresh package as I am hearing its taking a very very long time for even approved repair shops to get parts if your drone is crashed.

I wouldn't think there is going to be any kind of updated version for some time yet. The demand for the Mavic is still so great, and they have just released their FPV googles etc.

I would think they will just want to catch up on current demand and iron out the quality control issues.

BTW, got mine 3 weeks ago, 71 flights, 25km later... LOVING IT!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭ozmo

There is a cheaper drone on the way maybe this month - the DJI Spark - but not much information as to what it actually is - could be a racing drone or a selfie camera.
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/06/the-leaked-dji-spark-looks-to-be-the-mavic-pros-little-bother/
    spark-002-1.jpg?w=600

“Roll it back”

My 2c is it's a selfie drone working on a Phone controller via wifi connection

Wanton wrote: »
    As it stands there is no cheaper place to get them. There seems to be an agreed price in place.

€1499 for the flymore and €1199 for the drone only package.

I bought mine from radioncontrollershop.ie, based near Rathcoole. They have them in stock a fair bit now.

I also stumped up for the refresh package as I am hearing its taking a very very long time for even approved repair shops to get parts if your drone is crashed.

I wouldn't think there is going to be any kind of updated version for some time yet. The demand for the Mavic is still so great, and they have just released their FPV googles etc.

I would think they will just want to catch up on current demand and iron out the quality control issues.

BTW, got mine 3 weeks ago, 71 flights, 25km later... LOVING IT!!

Do you know of any issues in ordering it from the official DJI website? They sell the Mavic Pro Fly More kit for $1,299 incl shipping, VAT and customs duty (according to their FAQ page). at current exchange rates its circa €1200

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

No issues to buy on official site, apart from you won't be able to claim the VAT back (if you are business and buying it for business reasons), rather then that its very straight forward. I got mine on official site, shipped next day, arrived from UK 3 days later. Payment was also hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭bemak

Was going to take the plunge on one of these. Are they worth the money in people's opinion? I'd say they're great for the first few spins but does it wear thin after a while? The alternative is to upgrade my 450D to the 80D - might be a better investment. Im only an enthusiast in terms of use.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Do you know of any issues in ordering it from the official DJI website? They sell the Mavic Pro Fly More kit for $1,299 incl shipping, VAT and customs duty (according to their FAQ page). at current exchange rates its circa €1200

Just to correct my #fakenews post above... the USD figures are correct but like most established consumer electronics companies DJI has different pricing for different markets. So you wont be able to avail of that price ordering from Ireland (or actually anywhere in the Euro area). The price here is the official €1,499 for the FlyMore kit.

What I was able to do though was to get a 10% discount code under the Education program. All you need is access to a .edu email address which I have as an alum of my old University. It didnt matter that the email ended in @alum.xxx.edu, they still gave the 10% coupon. There are some dodgy sites that sell .edu email addressed but cant vouch for them. Just find a friend or the son/daughter of a friend who goes to school/Uni and use their email to get the code and place the order. You can then change the email address associated with the account. The best thing is that the coupon is valid for 2 uses over 6 months so there is some time to get those DJI Goggles!!
    So armed with that "huge treasure chest" (=good excuse) I took the plunge! I ordered the MP Flymore kit, DJI Care package & Prop Guards all for €1,470, a saving of €160! Hopefully I'll get it before Thurs as I'm going to Italy for the weekend and would like to bring it along as I'll be in the countryside.
    Question(s) to the more experience pilots:
    1. are the ND filter set worth the money (€39)? Are they cheaper/better elsewhere?
    2. I'll be reading the manual over and over in the next few days; have checked a few tutorials on firmware updates and pre-flight calibration/tests. Any other tip before my first flight? I've flown cheap, manual (ATTI-mode) quads before so I've got a bit of practice but any suggestion appreciated.

giphy.gif

I got very brave over the weekend

Source video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Oi_1hoi84

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Great to see a clip that isn't a banal panoramic shot of "amazing scenery" from 1000 feet above ground!

And that also settles my earlier doubts about flying under solid structures rather than over them. Thanks!

Great to see a clip that isn't a banal panoramic shot of "amazing scenery" from 1000 feet above ground!

And that also settles my earlier doubts about flying under solid structures rather than over them. Thanks!

Happy to help, my favourite shots are "dolly" like shops along the ground, the Mavic is well able for it

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Just got myself one, cant wait to give it a go this weekend!!
    Anyone go for the Care Refresh from dji or any kind of insurance?

I got care refresh and I'm (sorta) glad I did. Got hung up in a tree. No damage. That happened when it fell out of the tree and one of the rear arms broke.

The repair process is horrible. Opening a ticket, getting a shipping label and shipping was painless, but they did come back to query the address and requested an Eircode, although they didn't need one when I bought the drone. Takes five (working) days to be UPS'd to the Netherlands. Goes by road. It was received, and I got a proof of delivery. Then I waited. After a week, it was processed. Supposed to take two days for damage evaluation. Took a week. They then moved the ticket to the quote stage, and the ticket says that a quote has been emailed to me. It hasn't. That was days ago. Finally got through to a chat agent on their support page last night. She said that the repair team were escalating the issuing of the quote. Still haven't received it.
    Emails to support are not answered. Even Virgin Media have better support than dji. But I suppose it's better than writing it off.

• Advertisement

got mine this week and had a go in Donadea forest. Nearly 'treed' it but I'll learn! Great bit of kit though. I switched the controls to make left-stick-down the elevate control. Feels more natural. I also moved the rudder controls to the right stick as it feels more natural to be able to move forward and turn with the same stick. Dunno what others think!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

bemak wrote: »
    got mine this week and had a go in Donadea forest. Nearly 'treed' it but I'll learn! Great bit of kit though. I switched the controls to make left-stick-down the elevate control. Feels more natural. I also moved the rudder controls to the right stick as it feels more natural to be able to move forward and turn with the same stick. Dunno what others think!

Thanks. I'll look at changing the controls. Hadn't thought of that, but I did find I was making wrong moves, so making it more "natural" would help.

Still awaiting a quote for repair. If you ever damage it, looks like it'll take a month or 6 weeks for their 10 day repair service, even with priority service. And don't rely on the automated emails and web interface for tracking. Get straight onto chat or the forum and talk to real people. Their automated system lie, and don't seem to be monitored. I've just been told I replied to an automated "no reply" email, despite receiving a reply providing a ticket number and being told my request was being reviewed by their technical team. It's an absolute shame that they make such fantastic products and provide such crap service.

Thanks. I'll look at changing the controls. Hadn't thought of that, but I did find I was making wrong moves, so making it more "natural" would help.

I had to invert the elevation control straight away as I was having to think about it too much.

OSI wrote: »
    Tell that to the bloke that flew his under a bridge, only for it to lose connection and try to climb to return home before getting stuck under the bridge and taking a bath :P

Pilot error so eh, Should always set it to hover, and then run like hell to get a connection back haha

On a Side note after a conversation on facebook :D It's been pointed out the OPW have finally added a note to there website advising Drones are not allowed on/ above OPW maintained property, just incase anyone was crazy enough to go flying in phoenix park *cough*
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gavvvvers

Hey guys, I got a Mavic pro 2 weeks ago and got a present of another DJI Mavic bag.

If anyone is interested, I am selling for 70 euro based in South Dublin?

Pop me a whatsapp if interested : (Edit : phone number removed)
    Cheers!

EDIT by Moderator:
    I guess you didn't read this: Charter (Please read before posting
    Rule 6 .....
    . This is not a for sale board, so don't post threads selling stuff here, instead, post it on adverts.ie's FS General board. You may link to it in a thread here if you want to attract attention from the community that wouldn't generally read the FS board..
    @OP: Take it to Adverts and post the link here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

bemak wrote: »

I think it is more natural, and like a full size helicopter, and rc ones, to be able to maintain hover control all with the right stick, with rudder on the left one.

If you hover a drone manually in front of you, it is easier to see that in action.

In some places such as parts of the US, the rudder of rc helicopters is sometimes on the right, and roll on the left stick, called mode 1, which is what you have switched to.

Here we use mode 2, rudder and throttle on left, pitch and roll on right sticks. So hovering left right forwards and backwards is all on one stick.

Nothing stopping anyone using any mode. But in my opinion, learning and flying the same mode as others here are experienced in is best. But not essential of course.

Hey got my Mavic a few weeks ago and did my first flight in Tuscany. Here's a short clip:

https://youtu.be/3Nl1E_LKqnc

First video editing experience as well. Used iMovie 'cause I have it installed on my Mac but not too fond of it. Realize I probably need ND filters and to learn to control it a bit more smoothly. I'm reading up on a few forums but if you have any pointers do share.

Plan to do a bit more flying/shooting as soon as I get low winds/clear skies here in Dublin!

EDIT: thanks to those who gave me advice on purchasing it a few pages back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭ozmo

Griangra wrote: »
    I flew to Italy a couple of weeks ago with my mavic.
    I brought it with me on board and so it went through security without problems: I didn't have to take it out or anything.
    As you mentioned, I discharged the battery to about 50% .
    From reading around there should be no problem in flying with the Mavic .
    Happy flying :D:)

Cool - thanks for that - doing same trip - so I bring it all, discharged, in cabin with me - and I can just leave in the bag for the xray machine etc? - you didnt need take it out like for phones and laptops...

Any regulations in Italy I should be aware of? Thanks..

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Cool - thanks for that - doing same trip - so I bring it all, discharged, in cabin with me - and I can just leave in the bag for the xray machine etc? - you didnt need take it out like for phones and laptops...

Any regulations in Italy I should be aware of? Thanks..

Yes I can confirm no issue at all with Ryanair taking the Mavic + 3 batteries on board. It states it clearly on their T&Cs, there is a section on drones. There is a maximum cumulative wattage of batteries you can carry but I was below it with 3 batteries. I saved that page on my iPad in case the local security at the airport tried to pull a fast one and confiscate my MP.

Regulations are strict in Italy. Don't take my word for it - do your own due diligence online - but I think that in theory you should register and submit flight plans ahead of each flight and wait for approval (ludicrous!). I'm Italian and I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that few people obey the laws in my country, still fewer obey absurd laws like this one.
    That said, you have to be smart about. Flying around the Colosseum at noon on a sunny summer weekend is a recipe for trouble. Try to stay away from crowds, be quick, fly at dusk or dawn for best conditions all around (its quite warm at the moment, 30+ degrees in the cities). I recently saw some awesome shots of Piazza San Marco in Venice, one of the top 10 most visited sites in Italy, done at dawn with virtually nobody around.
    I was flying in the countryside in the video above but still avoided flying over other people's houses, flying too close to my neighbor's horses not to p*ss him off (it was tempting though) etc
    Hope it helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Had my first serious disconnect at the weekend. Was flying around near the top of the arete of a glacial tarn went all of a sudden it disconnected and the app became unresponsive and kept restarting. Controller said disconnected too so couldn't manually fly it. I could see the drone sitting in the sky 300m away and 120m up and all i could think was "oh, balls..". It just stayed hovering there for about a minute and i thought it was going to just stay there until the battery ran out but it eventually decided to return to home. It did reconnect before it landed but i let it complete the RTH and packed it up straight away. Gave me some scare!
    Never had a disconnect before. There was no mobile signal where i was, definitely no signal interference and had 17 sats locked.

Advertisement