Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I don’t agree with either of you. The hardest job by far is that of the person holding the stick/wheel.
    There are idiots up front who have no idea of what they are doing, they forget that by clustering up there for an age they’re digging in the bow, destroying the airflow in the most important part of the forward triangle and blocking the view. After ignoring your command of ‘Pole to port’, they hold a convention on which is the easiest side and fail to realise that they are slowing down the boat and never see the overtaking yacht that will screw you up at the mark with a cry of ‘Mast Abeam!’ Anyway, why bother with a discussion when it’s always put up on the wrong side? Not only that, they inevitably forget a genoa sheet left under the topping lift, wrong side of the downhaul or wrap the guy or halyard around the forestay, all of which will cause havoc at the gybe and necessitate lour instruction (very tiring, that.)

As for the gorillas on the grinders or sheets, they never do it fast enough, have no idea of what a ‘snatch’ is and take an age to undo a riding turn which they cause always at the most inappropriate moments.

Navigators are just as bad, they never know where they are and inevitably stab a finger at a chart and say ‘We’re here’ when you really know that we could not be and they do that act to hide the fact that they have no idea of where they are and need to get you out of the way so they can concentrate and play with their gadgets to find out.

Forget tacticians - a total waste of space, with their ‘Hmms, did not expect that headland to influence the windshift by that much’ or the inevitable ‘’Hmmm, the tide seems to turn much earlier than it should out here!’

Cooks cannot serve a properly hot coffee and even when they manage to pour something they cannot do so without slopping it all over both you and the deck, and that is only on the few occasions when they are not too sea-sick to go below.

Personally, I believe every helm should be equipped with a megaphone and a whip with a long reach.

Damn, I have just snorted snorted coffee all over my screen, and obviously have latte bubbles coming out my nose by the horrified looks I am getting from customers in this busy cafe. Well played Sir, well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I don’t agree with either of you. The hardest job by far is that of the person holding the stick/wheel.
    There are idiots up front who have no idea of what they are doing, they forget that by clustering up there for an age they’re digging in the bow, destroying the airflow in the most important part of the forward triangle and blocking the view. After ignoring your command of ‘Pole to port’, they hold a convention on which is the easiest side and fail to realise that they are slowing down the boat and never see the overtaking yacht that will screw you up at the mark with a cry of ‘Mast Abeam!’ Anyway, why bother with a discussion when it’s always put up on the wrong side? Not only that, they inevitably forget a genoa sheet left under the topping lift, wrong side of the downhaul or wrap the guy or halyard around the forestay, all of which will cause havoc at the gybe and necessitate lour instruction (very tiring, that.)

As for the gorillas on the grinders or sheets, they never do it fast enough, have no idea of what a ‘snatch’ is and take an age to undo a riding turn which they cause always at the most inappropriate moments.

Navigators are just as bad, they never know where they are and inevitably stab a finger at a chart and say ‘We’re here’ when you really know that we could not be and they do that act to hide the fact that they have no idea of where they are and need to get you out of the way so they can concentrate and play with their gadgets to find out.

Forget tacticians - a total waste of space, with their ‘Hmms, did not expect that headland to influence the windshift by that much’ or the inevitable ‘’Hmmm, the tide seems to turn much earlier than it should out here!’

Cooks cannot serve a properly hot coffee and even when they manage to pour something they cannot do so without slopping it all over both you and the deck, and that is only on the few occasions when they are not too sea-sick to go below.

Personally, I believe every helm should be equipped with a megaphone and a whip with a long reach.

Methinks a single-hander might be appropriate for the gentleman? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

:D indeed!

Have to agree with MissNoStars re the pit job - bow requires balance and strength (neither of which I have in abundance, hence I don't do it), helming is the loneliest job on a boat if you're doing it right - but pit is the most multitasking job I've ever done on land or at sea! I absolutely love the challenge of it - being able to anticipate the needs of the bowman and have things done (just) before he/she needs it is like some weird perverse (and often high-speed) ballet. Best job on a boat for me :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I don't know you sailors have so handy sharing the workload between your crew and always having someone else to blame , on a powerboat you are the driver, the cabin crew, the navigator, the mechanic, the medic and anything else that can go wrong on the boat even cleaning out the head :D I'll get my coat :D

Just incase, I'm only joking, and sailors do have nice boots :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

fergal.b wrote: »
    I don't know you sailors have so handy sharing the workload between your crew and always having someone else to blame , on a powerboat you are the driver, the cabin crew, the navigator, the mechanic, the medic and anything else that can go wrong on the boat even cleaning out the head :D I'll get my coat :D

Just incase, I'm only joking, and sailors do have nice boots :D:D:D

Yeah but we also have to put up with plonkers in their big power boats who decide the quickest way for them to get from point A to B is to cut right through the yachts racing in flat calms and very little breeze

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

neris wrote: »
    Yeah but we also have to put up with plonkers in their big power boats who decide the quickest way for them to get from point A to B is to cut right through the yachts racing in flat calms and very little breeze

Some times that is the quickest way from point A to point B you can't be spending all that money on a motorboat and then except to have to wait on the breeze to pick up or waste their fuel by going the longer way round:eek: and sure isn't it nice to have a few waves given to you on an otherwise flat calm day it keeps you on your toes for when a real wave comes along.:D

I have also seen some yachts cut across large motorboats ;)

Cowes1_1965927c-19426.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

fergal.b wrote: »

I have also seen some yachts cut across large motorboats ;)

Cowes1_1965927c-19426.jpg

That example does not count, as the yacht in question was crewed (& helmed) not by yotties but by naval officers. The uncle (who taught me to sail) was RN during WW2 and always said that the three most useless things on a boat were a hatstand, a potted plant and a submariner.

You are quite correct,:) I’m now a singlehander, and my boat has everything led back to the cockpit. Not because of crew, or results (well above average), racing just does nothing for me anymore – one can only go around the cans/islands/lighthouses for a certain number of years before it palls. The level of commitment (time/resources/money) required became too much and it became less enjoyable.

To be honest I do not miss the competitiveness and now I love pottering about, daysailing in a beautiful cruising ground. However, I still enjoy getting the best out of the boat, working her to weather to round a headland without an extra tack. And if there is no wind I will always find gin, tonic and beer in the bilge (with no crew to 'borrow' it ;)) and I have a handline and a smoker at home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Another stupid question for me, I've the standard Musto trousers, but being slim and long legged they end halfway down my calf.

Any ladies (rare as they are in sailing :D) found someone who makes longer length ones?

or do mens come in longer lengths rather than just one?

Brand doesn't matter, I'm just sick of having wet under trousers due to my "short" sailing trousers.

I'd be looking for a min. 34 leg length

TIA :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Another stupid question for me, I've the standard Musto trousers, but being slim and long legged they end halfway down my calf.

Any ladies (rare as they are in sailing :D) found someone who makes longer length ones?

Brand doesn't matter, I'm just sick of having wet under trousers due to my "short" sailing trousers.

Not sure I can help, I'm afraid - I'm 5'5", and mens legs sag down around my ankles. Not quite as badly as the ladies' fit legs I finally got recently, but they're also too long :(

Not sure if any legs are noticeably longer than others.... maybe ask the guys in the likes of Viking or start trawling websites for the measurements of different brands?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Didn't know they made wimmins bottoms... (as opposed to unisex) :D

I've the same leg length - 34", if I'm buying a pair then I'll put them on in the shop (wellies and all) and go through all sorts of contortions to see if the leg rides up. You get some funny looks but who cares.. it's more important that they work.
    Current set is Gill coastal, lightweight and long legged, got them in Western.

Steve wrote: »

I've the same leg length - 34", if I'm buying a pair then I'll put them on in the shop (wellies and all) and go through all sorts of contortions to see if the leg rides up. You get some funny looks but who cares.. it's more important that they work.

Oh they do... fiendishly complicated arrangement of zips and flaps to allow us use the loo (sorry, heads) without completely stripping. Nice in theory, doesn't actually make much difference in real life. The only difference I notice is that I'll strangle myself sometime trying to get the shoulder straps over my head.

I'm back to men's gear next time!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They do, you can get normal ones for wimmins and the only difference seems to be that they are for very short legged people, then you can get the ones Heidi mentioned, which I do not have.

Mine spend half their time almost at my knees and it is rather irritating.

Where is this place Western of which you speak? Tried to google but didn't find anything :)

Did all that when I bought my last set (musto "unisex") but as soon as I was actually racing I had a band of misery wetness where they rode up above my boots. :(

I find unisex to actually mean "men's, but will have to do for women as we can't be bothered stocking a decent range of female gear". I find the problem with them is the body is cut too long and wide, the arse balloons out behind me and the legs are too short. Body wise i have to go for size small because if i go up a size for longer legs and the swathes of material in the body mean I start getting caught on stuff (never ideal).

It's not a stupid question, it's the bane of my life. I've just bought a pair of gill offshore ladies sallopettes... Did all my usual contortions in shop and the legs always remained nicely below my ankles. The body was actually fitted, rather than just hanging there. Must say, I am filled with hope about them. I'm a 33" inseam btw. Have yet to try them as they're my parents' Christmas present to me, so can't report on the practical performance of them. Looking forward to seeing whether the drop seat is worth it. Nothing more annoying than having to take off lifejacket, outer jacket, mid layer and then sallopettes just to pee, especially if you're in the habit of drinking copious amounts of tea all night long...

ETA: I've actually had this conversation after sailing with a lot of the ladies and while many had the same problem, there was absolutely no consensus on the a solution. Gap in the market?

I find the problem with them is the body is cut too long and wide, the arse balloons out behind me and the legs are too short. Body wise i have to go for size small because if i go up a size for longer legs and the swathes of material in the body mean I start getting caught on stuff (never ideal).

You've described it perfectly, I regularly put my trousers on back to front, and instantly know due to the giant pouch that is the arse that makes me look nine months pregnant.

And with all the spare fabric I do get caught in stuff.
    It's not a stupid question, it's the bane of my life. I've just bought a pair of gill offshore ladies sallopettes... Did all my usual contortions in shop and the legs always remained nicely below my ankles. The body was actually fitted, rather than just hanging there. Must say, I am filled with hope about them. I'm a 33" inseam btw. Have yet to try them as they're my parents' Christmas present to me, so can't report on the practical performance of them. Looking forward to seeing whether the drop seat is worth it. Nothing more annoying than having to take off lifejacket, outer jacket, mid layer and then sallopettes just to pee, especially if you're in the habit of drinking copious amounts of tea all night long...

ETA: I've actually had this conversation after sailing with a lot of the ladies and while many had the same problem, there was absolutely no consensus on the a solution. Gap in the market?

I think there is, interesting that you've had this conversation with lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Try looking at the size guides on the manufacturers websites, you may spot that one of them offers a longer length which you can order from the US, or that one of them has an extra inch in the leg across all ranges.

Having rather mind numbing work to do today, I entertained myself by emailing Musto, Gill, HellyHansen, Henri Lloyd, and Slam, enquiring about long legged salopettes.

I also checked every sizing chart I could find.

Musto, Henri Lloyd, and Slam are all about a 30 leg, Gill appear to have a 32 inch leg, and HellyHansen helpfully referred me to the sizing charts on their website :rolleyes:

Slam were interesting they measured a pair for me as they not have inside leg on their site, the measurements were 50 inches shoulder to hem, but with an inside leg of 28! I think I'll measure my Mustos and compare, but Gill are currently top of the list going by their mail, and missnostars/Steve's posts :)

I also like the look of the slam longjohns, they are much more slim fitting than most others.

ETA: It appears you can only get long legged ones for size L/XL up according to the sizing charts, wonder how my tailor would react to me arriving in with a set for them to take in :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Where is this place Western of which you speak? Tried to google but didn't find anything :)
    www.western-marine.com
    Gill appear to have a 32 inch leg
    I can confirm that, mine are 32" from the crotch seam to the bottom of the leg.
    I can't find a size tag anywhere on them but from memory they're a L (could be wrong, I have them a couple of seasons).
    That said, an extra 2 inches wouldn't be a bad thing on them either. Oh and the legs are quite slim - meaning I can't get them on/off with my boots on... not a problem till your boots get wet on the inside and won't come off ... on a round Ireland... for 5 days!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

:eek: Seeing as you've seen me wear mine for 5+ years, lets not put observant on your list of traits :pac:

Sorry, Stheno, mine are Gill, and are perfect length for me - @ 5 foot.

juke wrote: »
    :eek: Seeing as you've seen me wear mine for 5+ years, lets not put observant on your list of traits :pac:
    Yore trousers don't affect boatspeed therefore I don't need to know about them :pac:

:D

• Advertisement

I've no link with this online shop but I buy most of my shooting/outdoor gear from them and find them very good. They have an offer on thermals (Snobee - good brand) at the moment, here

Yore trousers don't affect boatspeed therefore I don't need to know about them :pac:

:D

trousers affect boatspeed when they're letting in water and the person contained in them gets grumpy :D

Stheno,

I just measured the gill ones I got (size 10), they're definitely a 32" inseam but... I'm normally a 32-33" inseam depending on the cut. First thing about them is that the crotch sits down an inch or so (as it should for comfort, what with already having trousers on underneath), so actually you can add a little bit on to the 32" to get what it is in effect. I took some pictures of them tried on, can upload them if you want.

trousers affect boatspeed when they're letting in water and the person contained in them gets grumpy :D

Stheno,

I just measured the gill ones I got (size 10), they're definitely a 32" inseam but... I'm normally a 32-33" inseam depending on the cut. First thing about them is that the crotch sits down an inch or so (as it should for comfort, what with already having trousers on underneath), so actually you can add a little bit on to the 32" to get what it is in effect. I took some pictures of them tried on, can upload them if you want.

That would be great thanks

Having technical difficulties here, to say the least. Part of the problem is continually upgrading a 7 year old laptop, only to find that the manufacturer has long since decided to stop supporting the model *sigh*. Actually, any hints for where to get a Toshiba Bluetooth Stack (Version 9) for Windows?

Having technical difficulties here, to say the least. Part of the problem is continually upgrading a 7 year old laptop, only to find that the manufacturer has long since decided to stop supporting the model *sigh*. Actually, any hints for where to get a Toshiba Bluetooth Stack (Version 9) for Windows?

I'm afraid I don't even know what this means, never mind being able to help with it!

But in the interests of research for all you daddy-long-legs's, I measured the inside legs of my gear - both my current Musto ones (same as Stheno's I think) and my Lidl/Aldi ones are 31". Clearly I'm a VERY short-arse, as both of these baggy down around my ankles. My older Musto offshore ones (men's) are definitely that or less as they actually fit me properly (lengthwise, sadly no more widthwise :mad:)

What on earth do tall men do, if tall women can't even get gear to fit :confused:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't even know what this means, never mind being able to help with it!

But in the interests of research for all you daddy-long-legs's, I measured the inside legs of my gear - both my current Musto ones (same as Stheno's I think) and my Lidl/Aldi ones are 31". Clearly I'm a VERY short-arse, as both of these baggy down around my ankles. My older Musto offshore ones (men's) are definitely that or less as they actually fit me properly (lengthwise, sadly no more widthwise :mad:)

What on earth do tall men do, if tall women can't even get gear to fit :confused:

My 6 foot 3 boyfriend (who I'm sure can weigh in on this) has an inseam only about an inch or two longer than I, at just shy of 5'6, have... I think it's more to do with male vs female body length proportions. I don't think the bf has ever had serious leg length problems with sailing gear?

Men's trouser lengths (standard) are 29, 31 and 33 inches inside leg. Shops, when buying in dozens, used a 2:6:4 ratio, but that might have changed since the long ago days when I worked in retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Aldi have merino wool base layers this thursday , no idea what they are like performance wise, not too expensive either. https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-5th-december/

Vexorg wrote: »
    Aldi have merino wool base layers this thursday , no idea what they are like performance wise, not too expensive either. https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-5th-december/

One of my merino sets is from either Aldi or Lidl, and it's grand. Nowhere near as heavy as the Icebreaker stuff - but it's about a quarter of the price :D I know they have different stuff every year (the wet gear I got one year was utterly useless, another year was really good) but you won't go far wrong for those prices IMO. May have to invest in a "stash until the current stuff wears out" set myself :D

• Advertisement

Did you check out the Toshiba support site? I've a link for it if you want?

Aldi also have sunglasses this Thursday, not sure if they are polarised or not though.

Advertisement